Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Anyone have a paint calculator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have a paint calculator?

I seen it on hotrod tv or something where they told you how much paint you need to paint each body panel.

I'd like to know because I have a little less than a half pint of color, plenty of clear, and I need to paint an SS spoiler.

Two coats. I'm very surprised how far the paint goes.

Any idea how much you need to paint a spoiler?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

I don't have a calculator but I can tell you that even though that might be just enough, depending on mfgr mix ratio & color, I would much rather have a little too much that a little too little. I'd go get another pint to be on the safe side just my .02.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Unless the calculator is calibrated to you then it'll be wrong.

I'm no painting expert, but if it were me painting a spoiler, I'd need about 150 mL (5 oz) of base for each side. I'm sure a pro could shoot with a lot less than that, but that's what I'd need with my gun and my spraying habits.
Old 04-20-2008, 04:18 PM
Banned

5 oz isn't bad, I have more than that. That PPG is expensive, I bought 8 oz (16 sprayable) for $25. I put three coats on a CME valence and three on the fiberglass piece in front of the radiator core support. After all that I have more than 8 oz sprayable.
I guess I can always spray it, if I run out I have 8 hours to recoat or if I can't get it that day sand and recoat.
Now that I think of that I don't think I should have asked, the paint store is right down the road.