Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

How to fix Door skin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How to fix Door skin?

I have a 95 Trans Am and last year the wind caught my door when I had it open and slammed it open.. When it slammed open cracked the door skin just in front of the mirror.. Being Fiberglass how do I fix it or whats some options?
Old 05-04-2008, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Well if you know how to fiberglass you can patch it up real good, otherwise a shop can take care of it real easy for ya. Got pics?
Old 05-08-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doors are not fiberglass, they are SMC. SMC is a different compound than fiberglass. Glass may stick for a while to SMC, but eventually the compounds in SMC will reject the bond and it'll crack again.

You need to use bonding glues (if it's cracked) or fillers (if it's just a scratch) that are listed as SMC compatible. Google for SMC bonding or SMC repair and you'll find a bunch of stuff. Don't just go buy a fiberglass repair kit, that's the wrong stuff.
Old 05-08-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Doors are not fiberglass, they are SMC. SMC is a different compound than fiberglass. Glass may stick for a while to SMC, but eventually the compounds in SMC will reject the bond and it'll crack again.

You need to use bonding glues (if it's cracked) or fillers (if it's just a scratch) that are listed as SMC compatible. Google for SMC bonding or SMC repair and you'll find a bunch of stuff. Don't just go buy a fiberglass repair kit, that's the wrong stuff.
I would like to second that information. I have had my door repaired and about a year later the same crack was back again.

Quick Reply: How to fix Door skin?