Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

getting screwed??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry getting screwed??

Ok I took my car to a body shop that a friend of mine works at. They do full restorations there and do really good work! So when I backed my car into a truck I chose them because I could trust them with my car and I know the quality will be great. My insurance paid for the quarter panel and rear bumper to be painted. I told the guy not to mess with the rear bumper because it only had 2 very small scratches on it. Instead I wanted him to fix my passenger side door witch was really messed up, and buff the whole car. He said ok. I left the car there with all my info and cell number and left to go on my family vacation.

I call him 5 days later and he did everything I asked him to and then he told me he went on and painted the rear bumper. I asked him why and he said because it was rock chipped... I was pissed because it’s an extra $200 that I don’t have at the moment.

I think he should have called me first before he made his choice. What do you all think?

I also can’t pick up my car until I pay him in full.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would hold him to it and say that you told him not to paint it. at least make him pay half of it.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Exclamation

Originally Posted by BlackSS2001
. . . . My insurance paid for the quarter panel and rear bumper to be painted. . . . .
Your answer is right there . . . You're instructions do not superceed the insurance co's . . .
Old 06-16-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Xsta Z 28
Your answer is right there . . . You're instructions do not superceed the insurance co's . . .
I think they do. When I tell him what I want done and he agrees to it I think that superceeded them.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think they do. When I tell him what I want done and he agrees to it I think that superceeded them.
I guess, a question needs to be asked . . . "WHO" did the insurance company pay? Was the check written out to you personnally or to the body shop?

"IF" the check was made out to the body shop then you have no grounds, "IF" the body shop was paid by the insurance company to have your quarter panel and bumper repaired AND the body shop DID NOT do said quoted work and paid for work, then that my friend is insurance fraud . . .

And dealing with businesses, unless you have something in writing aggreeing with your requested work, then that too does not hold up to anything. . . .

You're upset, and respectably so, but I do not believe that you are being "screwed"
Old 06-16-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The check was made out to me for me to cash and for me to go whereever I wanted to have the car fixed. So that being said and cleared up he had no grounds on doing what he did unless he had called me and talked to me about it first.

Before I left the shop we spend an hour just talking about just fixing the door and not the bumper. I made it a clear point and he agreed to it.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Did you get anything is writing? Any witnesses to this conversation?

If not, you may be SOFL. But maybe he'll work with you.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

nothing in writting one of my friends was there with me though.

I just don't know what to do because I need my car and I dont have the extra $200.

I feel he should have called me. I mean he fixed the door, the quarter panel, and buffed the car like I wanted. He just took it all on his own to paint the bumper.

I mean take it this way if you took your car to a shop for... an oil change and they go on and flush your tranny and put a new fuel filter and air filter on without asking you do you feel like you should pay them?? you didnt have anything in writting your most likly the only one waiting on your car. So are you SOL?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for answering my question, I bet he feels he did you a favor, after taking the effort to fix/paint the quarter, the door and buff the car . . .

I respect how you feel - but you need to reverse the rolls too . . .

You think he is screwing you . . . and I bet he feels you're screwing him . . .

And whenever I take my car in for service I sign a work order.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

how is he doing me a favor?
If I owned a shop I would have called before just doing something. I mean what if he just thought hell I'll paint the whole car? yeah I would love that but I dont have the money for it. I still feel he is in the wrong just because him and I agreed no work was to be done to the bumper other than taking it off so he could work on the quarter panel.
You can't just do what you want to on someones car unless you have there permission I think.

Just wondering how would you feel to have an extra $200 bill on stuff you didnt want done?
Old 06-16-2008, 01:38 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I wouldn't pay it. You told him what to do and what not to, he took it upon himself to do more than asked, you are not liable for those extra charges

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 06-16-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

the questions is actually at this point is the job he did worth the 200 ? if it is and your you have a newly painted bumper for 200 worth of good quality work..........then i would say you pay him, if you are not satisied with the rear bumper then i would not, you are really splitting hairs here......tough call but if it is a good job i say pay him if not well then...or tell him to split the diff with you 100 each....
Old 06-16-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

verbal contract will hold up in court in fl. and he proably thought he was doing you a favor too , but i bet the bumper looks good though, offer him 100.00 or see him in court, not worth it imo.
Old 06-16-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm sure it looks good but I really don't have the cash for it. looks like I'll have to bumb some cash off a friend or something just to get my car back.

All in all I think what he did was wrong! I shouldn't have to pay for it even if it is a good job. I'm sure he could have called me and we could have talked about it but letting me know a day before I was going to pick it up isn't right. I can't just pull an extra $200 out of my ***. I have bills to pay and I'm moving in 9 days so I have to pay for that.
Old 06-16-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well since it's painted.. is there any way to keep all the rock blasting off the rear bumper that comes from the tires? No I will not put mud flaps on my car lol
Old 06-16-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Resident

join the club... i got boned by my body shop, luckily i didnt get charged for it though. heres my post, theres pictures at the bottom.https://ls1tech.com/forums/midwestern-members/935997-review-boyce-body-werks-il-long-rant.html
Old 06-16-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well since it's painted.. is there any way to keep all the rock blasting off the rear bumper that comes from the tires? No I will not put mud flaps on my car lol
3M Clear film . . .
Old 06-16-2008, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

that might work.

I was just asking because that was the guys main reason for painting the bumper..
Old 06-16-2008, 05:14 PM
Launching!

That is not right what they did. We'll fix other things all the time at work with customers that get a check in their name. Sometimes if the damage is not that bad our Mgr. will just have us spot it in for free. But he had no right to go against what you told him to do.

Last edited by cvalliere; 06-16-2008 at 05:15 PM. Reason: needed to add
Old 06-16-2008, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

well after calling him 3 times today he called me back and told me he thought the total was 1,515 but wasn't sure.

Insurance said it would be 1,086 to fix the quarter and bumper.
I asked for him to buff the car that was an extra $200 witch he lowered to $175 because the hood wouldn't buff out.
I guess the price for the door was $250 so that’s an extra $50 I would have to pay over the cost of the bumper.

my total should be $1,311

I wont get another paycheck for two weeks and I'm moving to Wyoming on the 25th so I might not get to get my car for over 3 months because of this.