Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

how much do you pay your bodyshop

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how much do you pay your bodyshop

ok i've been doin bodywork and custom fab stuff for myself and friends since highschool (i'm only 21) but now i have random people that have seen my work calling me and asking if i'll restor there mustang or build a 4link for there racecar. so my question is how much should i charge them? whats a fair price? this is also my second job i do at night or when i'm not work'n but i still but in atleast 25 work hours a week in my shop
Old 06-26-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Depends on where you're at, what kind of work you do, and other things.

I'd look into what other shops are charging hourly. If you are doing part time work and not actually running a business, people are going to assume you're going to be cheaper than the normal body shop. IMHO I wouldn't go to someone doing work on the side unless I knew they did a good job, did it cheap, and there work was comparable to that of a professional body shop. Most shops in my area charge $55/hour for labor. Just to give you an idea, guys that do sidejobs charge something like $150 to paint a hood and $100 for bumpers. Again, that's in my area and that's with me buying the paint. Also do you have a paint booth, proper equipment, guns, etc?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

just to do 2 bumpers i charged a guy 500 with materials included for 08 gt500 bumpers for my buddies 06. my shop woulda charged about 800-900. i usually dont do side work especially resortations because of the time that really needs to be put into the cars to do them right. i just dont have the time to go complete frame offs. a body guy i know just charges the book hour. but i mean charge them what you feel is necisary for your work.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
i usually dont do side work especially resortations because of the time that really needs to be put into the cars to do them right. i just dont have the time to go complete frame offs.
that's the damn truth! It's hard to make money on a job that takes 6+ months to complete

It's hard to say what to charge someone. Roughly 30-40 an hour plus all materials is a good amount IMO
Old 06-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Launching!

One meeeiillion dollars!
Old 06-28-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if is do side work i usally cut labor times in half, so body labor where i work is 65, so i cut that in half, and paint time is at 46 so i cut that time in half, i dont discount material, to costly to do that, so thats what i go by
Old 07-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Yeah usually you figure a discount rate on what you do on the side like around half as they stated depending on how much work you want. Then do your homework on a ballpark as to what the time will be invested in it. Estimate real high cause usually it takes longer or more time to perfect something . This way you are covered on the price. Its hard to tell somebody " oh by the way you owe me a lot more than what we thought." Doesnt go over so well