Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thnks...they look good
Old 09-14-2008, 12:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 09-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Chaman is your car originally silver or you changing colors to silver? I eventually want to paint my car for my first time (not a resto like yours as I plan on doing that waaaaaaaaaay down the road) so I want to paint it with all the panels on too. Just wondering with the color change though.
Old 09-14-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Firebird Phoenix
Chaman is your car originally silver or you changing colors to silver? I eventually want to paint my car for my first time (not a resto like yours as I plan on doing that waaaaaaaaaay down the road) so I want to paint it with all the panels on too. Just wondering with the color change though.
This job is not a Resto. Im just freshening up things specially over the front bumper due to road rash.

Yes the car is originally a Bright Silver Metallic one. For a color change to be properly done, then yes, removal of as much things as possible must be done.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Seems like an aweful lot of work to only do it half way . . . IMHO it ain't worth doing unless doing it all the way . . .

Bumpers should have flex agent in the paint, thus why they are typically painted off the car . . .

Yes there is always masking . . . but the time to mask and protect the rear bumper probably tooks as long as it would have to remove the bumper . . .

And trying to paint around ANY moulding is just a nightmare . . .
Old 09-15-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

The flex agent is a not a requirement. It is used mostly to handle painted rubberized parts upon assembly to prevent (or try to) spiderwebs and cracking. Flex agents made more sense back in times of old laquer based paints since this paints dried up in a more brittle consistency. Current urethane based paints by nature are more forgiving, more "elastic" to put it that way.

Thanks for your opinion!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

first off your car looks absolutely amazing and i love how it looks, but i will have to agreee with the other opinions on taking off parts that there is no reason to leave on. i have always been tought to look down on doing that, and i dont care how good he is, it WILL be dry underneath your door handle. and the flex agent thing, my mannager doesn't believe in using it either. the paint now of days do seem to hold up to MUCH more flexing, yet i would have atleast pulled the side down on the bumper but yet leaving it attached in the middle, so you could get clear up in the corners, and still have a good color match.

Either way, our opinions dont matter, because every person will do things how he/she thinks is correct. Live and learn is what i live by
Old 09-15-2008, 07:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks goatman! Ive always believe in stick with what you know and works for you!
Old 09-15-2008, 08:21 PM
TECH Regular

Forget the flex additive, why is the bumper still on the car? I don't care how well the part is prepped, if there is not a body gap (like between a door and fender, door and qtr panel) the parts needs to be removed.

I keep seeing all these photos of the bumpers being left on the car, when it take less than an hour of labor to do it right. So, you might be watching your paint peel off here in a year or so, maybe less.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SPDEMON
Forget the flex additive, why is the bumper still on the car? I don't care how well the part is prepped, if there is not a body gap (like between a door and fender, door and qtr panel) the parts needs to be removed.

I keep seeing all these photos of the bumpers being left on the car, when it take less than an hour of labor to do it right. So, you might be watching your paint peel off here in a year or so, maybe less.
Was previously painted in the same matter....aprox 5 to 6 years ago but it never peeled away. Luck? maybe...
Old 09-15-2008, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chaman
Was previously painted in the same matter....aprox 5 to 6 years ago but it never peeled away. Luck? maybe...

Still not the proper way to do it. Sometimes they last sometimes they don't. It just bugs me when I see body shops do things half assed since I run one.
Old 09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Car was delivered a few days ago and it looks awesome. I also asked for a CETA mod in satin black. I don't know why I waited so long for the CETA, looks so good, I think GM should have include it in all TAs.

Will post pics tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chaman
Car was delivered a few days ago and it looks awesome. I also asked for a CETA mod in satin black. I don't know why I waited so long for the CETA, looks so good, I think GM should have include it in all TAs.

Will post pics tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by TFFMP
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/989810-new-pics-after-paint.html
Old 09-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Don't bother telling him he's doing it wrong everyone because he is a douche that only wants people to tell him he's awesome and side with him.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:09 PM

If the dude wants a 20 foot paintjob, let him paint it his way. He's already said he's happy with non-resto quality work. If the car is a DD it makes sense to repaint it every few years.

My 2 cents: If I wanted a cheap paint job I would let Macco do it.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AmTrans
If the dude wants a 20 foot paintjob, let him paint it his way. He's already said he's happy with non-resto quality work. If the car is a DD it makes sense to repaint it every few years.

My 2 cents: If I wanted a cheap paint job I would let Macco do it.
depends on what you looking for. i certainly wouldnt like to dish out $5000 for a paint job on a car thats worth $10k tops. IF it were me, id be happy with a decent paint job with all the panels on. i drive my car daily, so a $5k paint job will get ruined pretty quick. A $1-2k is as far as i would go to paint a DD.

if my trans am were a weekend car....5k is still alot for a paint job for a car worth less than 10k. now if my trans am were a 69 camaro and a garage queen, a $5k+ paint job is ok.

it all depends on how you want to use your car, the value of the car, and how you see your car in the future. will you still have the car in 5, 10, 20 years?
Old 09-28-2008, 04:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Wicked_muscle
Don't bother telling him he's doing it wrong everyone because he is a douche that only wants people to tell him he's awesome and side with him.
Thats Mr. Douche for you...dont like it go to LS1.com...there are a lot of retards there that will give you a warm welcome....
Old 09-28-2008, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

looks good, not the most correct way to do it, but not my car
Old 09-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

not bad

Quick Reply: Trans Am in paint booth