Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Trans Am in paint booth

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Trans Am in paint booth

First off let me make this clear.....this is not a frame off resto paint work, this is only a job intended to freshen up some aspects of the previous finish. Like for example all the chips, cracks and overall mayhem the front bumpers of our cars tend to get. Same damage usually appear over the headlight covers, front of hood and door mirror's housings. Im only sharing this pics for the sake of having a good time with fellow LS1techers......if for any reason you want to chime in for a 5 minute glory time, please refrain.

To the "seasoned" bodyman who decided to talk crap...son, proper masking done with care can have excellent results without peeling. Sometimes masking is an art in itself. Every REAL bodyman HAS to mask things...if you suck at it then, practice.

Of course a proper resto job needs to have as much as removal as possible, even windshield and stuff. The following pics are not that kind of job. my car had a decent paint finish as a lot of you have seen.

BTW. Im open to opinions except when the purpose of these are to try to show off "knowledge" or to explicitly...start ****! LOL!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want a trans am
im guessing your going back with silver. should look nice
Old 09-13-2008, 11:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Yes, same color!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i wish i had a silver trans am, the black is such a pain the *** to keep clean. was thinking of doing something similiar in a year or 2 as my front bumper and some of the hood are kinda beat up.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Addict

looks good! the only thing i personally would have done is take the bumper off but thats just me im not trying to start **** nore do i have a problem with people painting their cars together. post pics when its done.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my only thing is you left the side mouldings on... why not take them off and spray them seperate so at least down the road u have the option to deleate them if you wanted to... just an opinion tho.. everything else looks good... im guessin you painted the bumper on the car for color match to help with the guys post above me... what ever anyway goodluck with the outcome... hope it all goes well...
Old 09-13-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

all looks fine except i def would have taken the extra time to take the moldings off. these cars look SO much better without them!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm one of the few here who likes the molding......even when it does not protect the door for ****! Thanks for you opinions guys!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chaman
I'm one of the few here who likes the molding......even when it does not protect the door for ****! Thanks for you opinions guys!
Looks real nice man. Can't wait to see the final product! I love how GM put molding on these cars for practically nothing, lol. At least they have one fan
Old 09-13-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i also have a problem with seeing a car in a booth with everything still on the car, us "seasoned" bodymen as you call us, arent strating **** as you say, i see a car with everything still on it, to me someone that likes to do the job the correct way, so get off your phsyco babble of me when you dont know me and lets keep it that way
i dont care if you use a glass prep pen and scuffed every little corner and crack, in time it will peel so i know ive done it i learned a lesson
but in this trade you get what you pay for, you want cheap this is what you get cheap work,everything left on a car, wham bam thank you maam give me my money

so dont start a thread about knowing a person or knowing what we "seasoned" journey men see as butcher work, moving right along................
Old 09-13-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Looks real nice man. Can't wait to see the final product! I love how GM put molding on these cars for practically nothing, lol. At least they have one fan

Hey, thanks! I will post some pics. I hear you on the molding thing. Thank God Pontiac didn't went the Aztek way on the f-bodies.....
Old 09-13-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i see a car in a paint booth masked off with everything still on, ya i can call butcher work

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 09-15-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as for the mouldings... to each his own... i just know the guy who painted my 1/4 before i bought the car didnt take them off and now i cant because ill have nasty paint lines... but if you like and dont plan on taken em off... they why not leave em on...

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 09-15-2008 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Does damn rubber bumpers never match well. In my experience they tend to look darker than the rest of the car. Surface characteristics I think....Thanks trans!
Old 09-13-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea on newer hyundia's... from the factory the flops are all wrong... you look at the car and bumper is a completely diff color... if you get on your knees and look up the bumper from the floor its the same color as the car... i dont know if its the bumer material or the way they spray them... i just know they never match...yours should match if you seal it all the same the way that you spraying it...
Old 09-13-2008, 08:42 PM
TECH Veteran

Will try my best to match it. I had a 1983 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, white in color, IROC wheels, the perfect 80's Hot Rod..LOL!!

Those rubber bumpers always looked darker! But I loved how easy it was to match the rest of the paint. If it got a little scratch there I went with my paint gun and ...sssshhs! BAM! done. It was painted with lacquer based paint...Dupont i think. No clear coat. Was rubbed down the a mirror like finish...by hand!! God I loved that car, it was stolen.....
Old 09-13-2008, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

yeah like i said before i would have taken everything off the car but thats just me and my ways and everyone has there own ways. the way i look at it is, if you have a shitty body man and an amazing painter the paint job is still going to suck because of waves and other crap or if you have an amazing body man and a shitty painter the paint jobs going to suck because of orange peel, color being blotchy, not blending correctly etc. i mean theres numerous reasons to why things arent great and theres also numerous ways for things to come out looking really great. he asked in the first post for people to post there opinions but not to be jag offs about it so why be a dick?
Old 09-14-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Veteran

Ive seen works done by this bodyman, before I opted to acquire his services. The guy just recently painted an old Mach Mustang....I was impressed with his work quality.

As I said before this is just a touch up job....maybe in a few years ahead the car will need a full restoration job, although by the way I take care of it...maybe not!

Thanks for your words, opinions and support guys!

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 09-15-2008 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Prompting shit . . .
Old 09-14-2008, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of wheels do you got
Old 09-14-2008, 12:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Those are HP Racing Evos, 19x9.5.

Quick Reply: Trans Am in paint booth