Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

What Is The Blackest Of Black Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Thats a sick *** car man. Props on the paint it looks flawless!!

I have sikkens on my T/A. But i dont have a camera that can do it justice. I have a brother with an Onyx black GMC truck and my car is way blacker.

Thank you for the compliments. Since you use Sikkens, you must know it is great paint. Also, since somone mentioned single stage paint, the best single stage paint i have ever come across is made by Endura. Stuff is diamond hard. If you dont buff it within the first 48 hrs of it curing, then good luck trying to color buff it later. It's black is only rivaled by HOK and Sikkens
Old 09-30-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01reborn
This is 100% true. Sikkens is by far the blackest paint we've ever used in our shop. Check out the '67 Mustang we did, it's sprayed in Sikkens. We get comments about the "blackness" of the paint at every show.

http://www.autoworksracing.com/AWRac...an_gallery.htm
how much do you think this would cost ME to get at a reputable shop. Ill be painting my car very soon and this is the black ive been looking for
Old 09-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Teching In

That depends on how much of the prep work you do your self. If your having a shop do it, all of your money will be poored into the prep and it will be expensive if the shop is good. Especially since its black, the prep work needs to be perfect because everything will show up. Also, Sikkens is on par with HOK, so the material isn't the cheapest either. I dont have Sikkens prices in front of me right now, but a gallon of HOK in black retails for about $199. Reducer is $39.99. Plus you'll need to by clear, and then what ever the painter charges for his time/booth. We dont do just paint jobs in our shop, so it's hard for me to give you an estimate, usally all of our stuff is com

If you can do all of the prep yourself, it shouldnt be too much. Just remember, Prep is SOOOO important for a bitchin' black paint job, i cant stress it enough
Old 09-30-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so is 2500 for a friend discount good for this paint and prep with them taking everything off that they need to?
Old 09-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by my bandit
so is 2500 for a friend discount good for this paint and prep with them taking everything off that they need to?
As long as he does a good job it's a helluva deal
Old 09-30-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well his work has been in magazines.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

^^^ then you should have nothing to worry about. personally i like the standox and spies a lot better then sikkens.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Anything with clear coat on it isn't going to look as black as a really high quality single stage black...make sure it's layed on REAL REAL well by someone with a LOT of talent and make sure they do a real good job on the final buff too...you'll say wow when you see it.
I did some reasearch on this and although i read the same thing alot, I also read alot that doing it single stage wont give it as much depth.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

Check my last page.....it should give you an idea of what it will look like stock black.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=922490&page=5
Old 10-01-2008, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

I have sprayed about every brand and color there is. If you want a deep black that has the blues come out and looks like it has no bottom, spray the mitsubishi 2006 black over a black sealer and it will pop your eyes out , Guaranteed. it is blacker than the old tripple black that ppg had. Like the post had above , alot of the blacks have the brown tint if you put a bright light on it or a gray. This color does not it is so black it almost looks as if you could get lost in it.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

man i wish i could remember the name of the black i saw on a 67 camaro that was getting repainted the same time as mine... it made all other blacks look gray..and looked like it was a mile deep and still wet!..
Old 10-01-2008, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Find a paint shop that mixes their own paint, they can just make a ready-mix pure black out of just black tint. It will be pure black, literally. More than 3 coats of clear is a waste, IMO.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Resident

^^ very true that is exactly what i did, i used the pure black right from the mixing rack. but there is other blacks right next to it. You have to pick the blackest one. I have dropped a drop of HOK and Sikkens onto each other and Sikkens was blacker.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:27 AM
Teching In

I have sprayed them all and black is my favorite. It depends on the quality of the clear used. The blackest black job i ever done was on an old grand national. I took a gallon of sikkens factory pak black, added 2 ounces of candy blue. Now before you freak your paint will not be blue it just kills the browns in the paints which 99%of all blacks has a brown somewhere down the line, even the sikkens. This was sprayed over a black sealer. Now i used the same hardener in the clear in the base only at 10%. We let the base sit overnight to let most solvents escape. Next day came in and wetsanded the base with 1000 to get rid of the peel left behind from the hvlp gun. I then mixed the same base in my SATA 2000 RP hybrid gun and laid the base again. DO NOT sand this stage as the scratches will show here. Next day, Dont worry you wont have an adhesion problem. JUst apply within a 15 hour period. I then applied 2 coats of glasurit high solid clear, With sata 2000 hvlp. baked the paint. I then immediately after the paint cooled started WET sanding again with 1000 and applied 2 final coats of glasurit with my sata RP. I wetsanded with 3000 grit and buffed with a sponge finishing pad and ****, damn darker than the nights sky.

Now LISTEN. This is some good advice. I used the same method in MATRIX factory pak black. This paint is urethane based and very BLACK as sikkens. If you live near a MATRIX jobber open a can and look for yourself! Very cheap also but not cheap as in quality. The Kenne Wayne Sheppard (spelling) 72 charger was recently done in matrix black and look at those pics.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigh=117lr4bg2

I also like using single stage blacks and in the last 2 coats mix half single stage color and a compatible clear. Very deep!

Last edited by 1badlsx69; 10-02-2008 at 02:45 AM.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:57 AM
01z
TECH Regular

chriss angel has a lambo

that guy is so dumb
Old 10-03-2008, 04:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pheonix
I have dropped a drop of HOK and Sikkens onto each other and Sikkens was blacker.
hmm , have you ever done the same comparison with ppg triple lack aswell and the 06 mitsubishi black mentioned above?? I wonder which one is the deepest darkest blackest, sikkens, ppg triple black or the mitsu 06 black.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

black off the mixing rack is not the blackest black. You have to use the blues to get that rich black. After i spray the base i put down 3 coats of clear. Then 600 the whole car flat then put 2 more coats of clear and cut and buff. Awsome
Old 10-04-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SimRacer1
hmm , have you ever done the same comparison with ppg triple lack aswell and the 06 mitsubishi black mentioned above?? I wonder which one is the deepest darkest blackest, sikkens, ppg triple black or the mitsu 06 black.
Never tested it with the triple black or other mentioned colors. I just added some blue candy concentrate from HOK to the sikkens to kill off any browns like mentioned above but i did not think it needed it. I compared two panels one with and one without and i cant tell the difference. Maybe i need a microscope. lol

I have painted the ppg and dupont blacks and they are really black but i did not think they looked blacker than HOK so i did that comparison to the color i thought was already darker.

Cutting and buffing and a good laydown is a must for a deep black. If you ever spray sikkens it looks cleared when its just in basecoat stage. you can already see your reflection. Then once you add the clear. Bam!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 01reborn
That depends on how much of the prep work you do your self. If your having a shop do it, all of your money will be poored into the prep and it will be expensive if the shop is good. Especially since its black, the prep work needs to be perfect because everything will show up. Also, Sikkens is on par with HOK, so the material isn't the cheapest either. I dont have Sikkens prices in front of me right now, but a gallon of HOK in black retails for about $199. Reducer is $39.99. Plus you'll need to by clear, and then what ever the painter charges for his time/booth. We dont do just paint jobs in our shop, so it's hard for me to give you an estimate, usally all of our stuff is com

If you can do all of the prep yourself, it shouldnt be too much. Just remember, Prep is SOOOO important for a bitchin' black paint job, i cant stress it enough
alright, appreciate the information
Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have almost a full gallon of dupont black and was wondering if adding some deep blue pearlesent powder to it will do the same thing as the kandy blue consentrate?

Quick Reply: What Is The Blackest Of Black Paint?