Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Wavy paint on fiberglass SS spoiler - what can I do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 08:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wavy paint on fiberglass SS spoiler - what can I do?

I've just had my SpoilerDepot SS spoiler painted, and I think the painter did a terrible job. He also resprayed my quarter panel after an antenna delete and did a nice job doing so, but I think he's really done a poor job on the fiberglass spoiler.

The paint is wavy all over. You can hardly feel the unevenness of the surface with your fingers, but you can see it for sure. I'm guessing the spoiler need repainting, right? (unless the paint has enough depth to be polished out?... what's your opinion?)

If it needs repainting, maybe it's something I could do myself if you explain to me how to prepare fiberglass to get rid of those surface waves.

Oh, and before you say anything, I've learned my lesson: you get what you pay for (it was cheap).

Old 09-30-2008, 08:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You can try blocking the clear with a soft block and 2000 grit paper and then buff it. It depends on how much clear is on the spoiler. Be careful stay away from the edges. You should be able to get it to look better if not you will have to reshoot it.
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

damn it seems like the painter did a very poor job
Old 09-30-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you can do is take it back to the guy that painted it and tell him do re-do the crap job he did...right? Seems like a no brainer Lol
Old 09-30-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
You can try blocking the clear with a soft block and 2000 grit paper and then buff it. It depends on how much clear is on the spoiler. Be careful stay away from the edges. You should be able to get it to look better if not you will have to reshoot it.
I'd be careful there.... I bet there isn't much clear on there... and you may go right threw.

I'd take it back to the guy that painted it and let him know you aren't happy with it.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
What you can do is take it back to the guy that painted it and tell him do re-do the crap job he did...right? Seems like a no brainer Lol
The guy says he did a great job... it's hopeless. Plus I don't want him to touch my car again.

Originally Posted by BMR Sales
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will try that. I have nothing to loose. Maybe it will turn out good enough to keep, we'll see.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
I'd be careful there.... I bet there isn't much clear on there... and you may go right threw.
I'll be super careful. If I go through it won't be the end of the world, I'll bring it to a better painter.
Old 09-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Teching In

Are you sure it's not the spoiler that's wavy? That looks really bad to just be paint. After all, it is fiberglass.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

its probably the spoiler itself as mentoned above. cheap hoods do this too
Old 09-30-2008, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mindreaper
The guy says he did a great job... it's hopeless. Plus I don't want him to touch my car again.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I will try that. I have nothing to loose. Maybe it will turn out good enough to keep, we'll see.
The guy is obviously a tool shed then. I'd be up there with my HK in my hand
Old 09-30-2008, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

I'm betting it was due to not prepping the spoiler right. He probably just put a soft pad on his DA, scuffed it up, cleaned/degreased it, and blew some paint on there. It's probably gonna need to be redone, I'd try to sand and buff it first but I don't think it's going to help a whole lot. If you get someone else to redo it tell the you want it prepped by hand, you may have to pay a little more but it will look much better if they know what they are doing.....
Old 10-02-2008, 08:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by torquejunky
I'm betting it was due to not prepping the spoiler right. He probably just put a soft pad on his DA, scuffed it up, cleaned/degreased it, and blew some paint on there. It's probably gonna need to be redone, I'd try to sand and buff it first but I don't think it's going to help a whole lot. If you get someone else to redo it tell the you want it prepped by hand, you may have to pay a little more but it will look much better if they know what they are doing.....
Thanks. I will do that.

Quick Reply: Wavy paint on fiberglass SS spoiler - what can I do?