PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Any MAJOR difference between HPtuners and EFIlive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008 | 05:13 PM
Launching!

Haha this is dumb...I wish it was easier to make a decision...Have any of you here of DHP powertuner? I have one for my grand prix and I was wondering how these interfaces compare.
Old 11-16-2008 | 05:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

DHP's hardware & software doesn't hold a candle to either really, both HPT & EFI are far superior in every aspect.
Old 11-16-2008 | 05:32 PM
Launching!

Superior and easier to work with? My powertuner seems a little difficult to get around. Do they still still tune the same or is it easier to get everything dialed in with hpt and efi?
Old 11-16-2008 | 05:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Both our scanner & efi's are a cut above dhp's which is where you'll find alot of your functionality going between the scanner & editor. Also both editor GUI's were built over the years around customer feedback so all of the features you will see have been added to make each product better.
Old 11-16-2008 | 09:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ringram
Pity you have to pay for the hpt ones though

The credits work towards unlocking groups though; I haven't paid for custom OS's in a long time and I use them on a very high percentage of cars.
Old 11-16-2008 | 09:42 PM
Doc
FormerVendor

Back on original topic. Both products are fine. I would suggest registering on both products' respective forums and spend some time on each as they will be your lifeline support systems.
Old 11-17-2008 | 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Here is a major difference. For everyday ***** and giggles logging where you just want to glance at what is going on like you would at gauges on your car, EFI LIVE has a massive advantage.

EFI LIVE can do this

Or just give a large readout from your serial connected wideband. Like this it means you don't need to purchase a gauge for your wideband as EFI LIVE can do it all for you. This connectivity also includes the ability to command the WB controller to perform calibration functions.

HPTuners on the other hand just does this.
Old 11-17-2008 | 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

I also try to be available for phone tech support when needed.

The V2 unit is not compairable to any other software as it does so many more things and is much better at everything it does. In the near future, it will be stand alone flashing/ reading. No laptop needed.

At this time, users can use it as a full scan tool, a storage device for thier tunes, log thier data, delete codes, read codes, show scan data on the screen in real time, and the list goes on.

The difference in price is well worth it.
Old 11-17-2008 | 07:26 PM
10 Second Club

I recently upgraded my V2 to the black box datalogging and serial WB and I have to say... WOW! We finally get to take advantage of the capabilities it was designed for and it was well worth the wait. Now, we just need the Black box flashing. I love it.
Old 11-18-2008 | 03:21 PM
Launching!

Prices on all of this great stuff? I never really received an answer about what kind of wideband would suite me best..Let me know boys, thanks.

Sam
Old 11-18-2008 | 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

with EFIlive can't you also tune individual cylinder fuel controls?

Chad
Old 11-18-2008 | 04:24 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by samh_08
Prices on all of this great stuff? I never really received an answer about what kind of wideband would suite me best..Let me know boys, thanks.

Sam
MPVI Std interface $499+shipping with enough credits to tune up to 4 vehicles
MPVI Pro interface $649+shipping with enough credits to tune up to 4 vehicles

As for widebands there are dozens of available models that work well with our product, most of which can be found here http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10510
Old 11-18-2008 | 05:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam
EFI LIVE V2 Scan and tune $799

Full description here
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=56

For Widebands. I'd recomment a Inovate LC1. I have a PLX but it can't be used with a serial interface without modifications. The LC1 is good to go out of the box.

I really can't stress enough on how good serial connectivity is. That alone is a huge advantage that EFI LIVE has over the competition. Plus since you can use the V2 as a display for your Wideband. That will offset the extra price of EFI LIVE as with HPtuners you would have to buy a gauge to see what your WB is doing when not lugging around a laptop. Another perk with Serial and the LC1 is that the V2 can control the calibration function of the LC1. To do this with HPtuners and no serial interface you would have to wire up an external switch somewhere and an LED to monitor its state.

Basically as far as I can see. EFI LIVE is a generation ahead with their hardware. You only have to look at the two products to see that. But HPtuners does support more vehicles.. Although thats not really going to effect a GM V8 owner.
Old 11-18-2008 | 05:19 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by macca_779
EFI LIVE V2 Scan and tune $799

Full description here
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=56

For Widebands. I'd recomment a Inovate LC1. I have a PLX but it can't be used with a serial interface without modifications. The LC1 is good to go out of the box.

I really can't stress enough on how good serial connectivity is. That alone is a huge advantage that EFI LIVE has over the competition. Plus since you can use the V2 as a display for your Wideband. That will offset the extra price of EFI LIVE as with HPtuners you would have to buy a gauge to see what your WB is doing when not lugging around a laptop. Another perk with Serial and the LC1 is that the V2 can control the calibration function of the LC1. To do this with HPtuners and no serial interface you would have to wire up an external switch somewhere and an LED to monitor its state.

Basically as far as I can see. EFI LIVE is a generation ahead with their hardware. You only have to look at the two products to see that. But HPtuners does support more vehicles.. Although thats not really going to effect a GM V8 owner.

I have no use for the hardware really, but I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get EFIL too for a few odd things like virtual VE on a certain PCM, need to swap my own segments and a few other items.

With what you have listed there for $799, how many vehicles can be tuned? Does it matter if they are, say, 08 LS3 vettes or older GenIII? What is the crediting cost per vehicle when the credits included run out? I looked into it a year or 2 ago and was soured by not having all of the charges for everything laid out up front. I was told it's only cost this or that, but somehow they'd leave out some $800+ charge. They are a sponsor here but I won't say which one.

Thanks.
Old 11-18-2008 | 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

EFILive packages come with 2 licenses. 1 license will tune any PCM/TCM combo on the supported vehicles list. The only additional expense you may encounter is an inexpesive serial cable for serial WB logging. As for the rest of the pricing questions, I'll leave that to the sponsors. I will say it's all very straight forward though.
Old 11-18-2008 | 07:32 PM
Launching!

I'd say its all pretty damn expensive. If I understand correctly, 1 license is equal to 1 single car/vin, not just like 1 license equals all GEN 3 LS engines, right?
Old 11-18-2008 | 07:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'd say its all pretty damn expensive. If I understand correctly, 1 license is equal to 1 single car/vin, not just like 1 license equals all GEN 3 LS engines, right?
Correct.

With our software there are 3 types of licensing

Single vcm
Year/model ie 2005 Corvette to where for xx amount of credits you can tune an unlimited amount of 2005 Corvettes
Tunershop which is broken down into groups like Gen 3 car, Gen 3 truck, Gen 4 car, Gen 4 truck, etc.

-Bill
Old 11-18-2008 | 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Sam
I bought a Innovate LM-1 only because of the simplicity of setting it up which does not require any splicing. I also got a great deal on ebay.
Old 11-18-2008 | 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Frost the licencing system for EFI LIVE is very simple. 1 licence = 1 car basically. You get two licences included with the initial package. Extra licences can be purchased directly off the EFI LIVE website for $100 each.

With each licence you get an Engine controller and a transmission controller licence. If for example you tuning an LS1 with a PCM that controlls both, then you will only use the engine licence. This means that often you will have quite a few spare trans licences lying around. These can be used on others cars if for example you only wanted to tune a TCM.
Old 11-19-2008 | 05:08 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
with EFIlive can't you also tune individual cylinder fuel controls? ala for nitrous?

Chad
well is this true?

Chad

Quick Reply: Any MAJOR difference between HPtuners and EFIlive?