PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

Any MAJOR difference between HPtuners and EFIlive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008 | 05:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
well is this true?

Chad
Yes you can do this with OS5. Basically you wire an earth switch into the PCM which when triggered will modify fuel and spark settings with however you have it setup in the tune.. This OS is a free upgrade offered by EFI LIVE.
Old 11-19-2008 | 05:53 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by macca_779
Yes you can do this with OS5. Basically you wire an earth switch into the PCM which when triggered will modify fuel and spark settings with however you have it setup in the tune.. This OS is a free upgrade offered by EFI LIVE.
ah okay so that is what COS5 is for then?

seems like that is a pretty nice advantage, especially for all the big nitrous guys.

this has been a very informative thread

Chad
Old 11-19-2008 | 08:51 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Nimitz87
well is this true?

Chad
no thats not true. you can not tune INDIVIDUAL cylinders...I wish!! The "switch" on the custom os gives you a way to have a motor tune...flip a switch and have it pull timing/add fuel for your nitrous so you have both tunes at the flip of a switch. You could use the switch as a valet switch instead if you like. I dont use that option at all but i do use the 3 bar part and I do have a roadrunner. Hptuners is a great product. I only moved to efilive for the custom os and the roadrunner. without those 2 items it would have been a toss up for me and i would have looked for whichever one i could get used for cheapest.
Old 11-19-2008 | 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Default EFILive COS5

COS5 = Custom Operating System 5

It is based on OS 12212156 and has these features:
- Open Loop AFR table is MAP x RPM instead of ECT x RPM,
- Boost tables upto 3 bar (same as COS3),
- Nitrous tables (activated by input on unused PCM pin),
- TP x RPM based VE table for idling BIG cams (you configure when it kicks in).

It's free...you can uninstall/reinstall it any time, as many times as you wish.

COS5 runs on 1999-2002 F-body and 1999-2003 Y-body PCMs...

Some people convert their 1997/1998 to use the 0411 PCM (they repin the PCM connectors) just so they can use COS5.

Also, You can mix/match segments (trans, fuel, speedo, system/fans).

Also note, regardless of OS/COS, the EFILive scantool links into the tunetool tables:
i.e. the scantool cursor links to the tunetool to highlight the current operating cell in a table
(the scantool has to be logging the pids that index that table's axes).

Cheers
Joe

Last edited by joecar; 11-19-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 11-21-2008 | 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

I have ben running COS5 for a few years now. No MAF, no O2's to tune, just a WB.

Bill
Old 11-21-2008 | 09:32 PM
Launching!

Which OS would I want if I want a SD tune? I am swapping the motor in to a 86 monte carlo and I will not be putting a MAF on it..Let me know.

This thread has made my decision harder to make haha. Oh well keep it coming.

Sam
Old 11-21-2008 | 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by samh_08
Which OS would I want if I want a SD tune? I am swapping the motor in to a 86 monte carlo and I will not be putting a MAF on it..Let me know.

Sam
Just as well go with COS5. You won't need all the extra tables and features now, but they will be there if you ever want them, and tuning it won't be any harder with then there.
Old 11-21-2008 | 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't necessarily need a custom OS to run SD.
Old 11-21-2008 | 10:54 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Sam
You could go with either our 1 bar SD or 1 bar MAF w/RTT custom os if you have a 99-02 fbody and run speed density and have the ability to tune in real time as well.

The SD custom operating system is meant for Speed density only and adds a TPS vs. RPM based VE table in addition to deleting any secondary VE table you may have had with your stock operating system. This OS also allows full use of both the high & low octane tables unlike the stock operating system.

The MAF w/ RTT operating system is basically the stock operating system with real time tuning added in, so anything the stock operating system would do or be capable of so will this custom OS, but you also get the advantage of tuning in real time.

Mind you once you've licensed any custom operating system you can switch back & forth between any of them at any time for no additional charge, so if you start out with the MAF w/RTT custom OS, then decide to go to the 1 bar SD custom os, no charge, then you decide to throw on a blower or turbo & need a 2 or 3 bar custom os, again, no charge.

Old 11-21-2008 | 11:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sam
OS5 all the way mate. It has every feature you could think of but if you don't want to use them all then just disable them.

Some of the best features are the MAP/RPM primary fuelling table which allows you to command any AFR at any load/rpm point you want. This will give you the ability to run a psudo lean cruise as all you do is at low MAP/RPM command the car to run leaner.
Another excellent feature is the IAT/VE Factor table. This table allows you to effectively rule out temperature drift often apparent with SD tunes..
Both these features are exclusively available in EFI LIVE. HPTuners don't have them and is more of a reason to choose EFI LIVE.

As far as real time tuning goes. Roadrunner combined with EFI LIVE reigns supreme, there is no question of that. HPTuners has a few features that can be real time altered but most of them are not really required to be tuned real time. EFI LIVE does support the ability to alter timing and fuelling in real time via the scan tool though. With Delta Timing for example you can add or subtract timing from the entire map real time. With the AFR function you can change commanded AFR real time too. These are the main features that require real time alterations in my experience. Some idle aspects can be altered in real time. But most idle tuning rolls around just taking logs and applying the data so there is no real need for real time changes here.
Old 11-21-2008 | 11:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by macca_779
EFI LIVE does support the ability to alter timing and fuelling in real time via the scan tool though. With Delta Timing for example you can add or subtract timing from the entire map real time. With the AFR function you can change commanded AFR real time too. These are the main features that require real time alterations in my experience. Some idle aspects can be altered in real time. But most idle tuning rolls around just taking logs and applying the data so there is no real need for real time changes here.
Bi directional controls don't even come close to what tuning the entire tables in real time allow you to do.

We allow you to tune the MAF, VE table, PE table, VE TPS multiplier, High Octane spark and about 20 other tables in real time in ADDITION to the simple bi directional controls that you speak of.

-Bill
Old 11-22-2008 | 10:36 AM
Launching!

So will all of these real time and bi-directional features be used if Im just tuning my own vehicle? I know these features are super useful for people tuning alot of cars or doing dyno tunes but remember I am doing my own vehicle, want to run SD, and will have a wideband to tune with.

Let the battle continue
Old 11-22-2008 | 10:52 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You'll probably use several of the real time tuning tables, but the bi directional controls don't have precision or use that you'll need to do much.

Things like PE, VE & spark advance are the usual ones as are many of the idle tables for guys running larger cams that you'll end up taking advantage of.

-Bill
Old 11-22-2008 | 11:08 AM
TECH Junkie

You can use as much or as little of real time controls as you like. In the begining we just logged and flashed.
Old 11-22-2008 | 11:35 AM
Launching!

So really I cannot go wrong with either one and they both have mainly the same features for what I am using it for. I really wish HPtuners had a try it before you buy it..
Old 11-22-2008 | 11:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes. As always, it comes down to how you want to spend your money.

Quick Reply: Any MAJOR difference between HPtuners and EFIlive?