PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad tr 230 tune, need to copy one.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bad tr 230 tune, need to copy one.

O.K. guys I need help with my seemingly untunable 230 rev. split on 111. It is pig *** rich idling and seems like all over the powerband. I rid of any DTCs which were the 02s probably fouled from runniong so rich. Plugs aren't fouled though? But I guess the overlap lets fresh unburned gas into the exhaust.
DOes anyone have a tr230 tune file I could give my tuner to COPY to get me close to where I need to be. I'm sick of smelling like gas and wasting that gas and power by being so rich? I'd greatly appreciate anyone's help!!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FSTR/TA
O.K. guys I need help with my seemingly untunable 230 rev. split on 111. It is pig *** rich idling and seems like all over the powerband. I rid of any DTCs which were the 02s probably fouled from runniong so rich. Plugs aren't fouled though? But I guess the overlap lets fresh unburned gas into the exhaust.
DOes anyone have a tr230 tune file I could give my tuner to COPY to get me close to where I need to be. I'm sick of smelling like gas and wasting that gas and power by being so rich? I'd greatly appreciate anyone's help!!
How do you know it's pig *** rich at idle? By smell? You'll never get rid of the smell because of the overlap.
If it's pig *** rich, you'll have black plugs.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:41 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ed nailed it. You'll need to get a wideband O2 sensor in the exhaust tract to know if she's rich or not!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 12-02-2008, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
How do you know it's pig *** rich at idle? By smell? You'll never get rid of the smell because of the overlap.
If it's pig *** rich, you'll have black plugs.
I'll post pics of the plugs tom. I labeled them per cylinder. I am saying rich due to the fact I'm from the ole school and you can smell rich. I do understand the overlap, but this makes you wreak of gassy exhaust and brings tears to your eyes rich. I had a guy whos tuned this car quite a few times, but it only gets worse. Not saying he's a incompetent tuner ( yet ), but I may have had underlying problems he was tuning around ( MAF dirty to the point ses flashing) ( bad 02s). If he was tuning around what the computer was correcting could he be fighting the learning or trimming of the computer. I also know how my car used to sound ( LOPE, CHOP) and by idle timing or some settings he adjusted the lope is gone altogether? Not valve springs, happened right after he changed parameters for somethinf in the tune. I didn't question it cause I figured if it ran like a bat out of hell who cares about the lope. When it did burn the gas right and wasn't so rich you could actually smell the ehtanol or whatever additives regular gas has being burned if that makes sense. Now its just a cloud that fills my shop in seconds and smells of unburned gas. Please help if you can guys, almost positive its in the tune and I know everyone blames that first but I know it was best the first time he tuned it and it wasn't great then. I do know he uses EFI live I think its called? I hear of HPtuners being the better tool though. SORRY SO LONG, but have been battling this tune for about a year now!! I'm pissed!
Old 12-02-2008, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

Is it possible to get all of the data from a similar setup car's tune and achieve good results? I now all cars are not the same, but one with similar mods and exacts same cam should tune similar, no?
Old 12-02-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Addict

Sounds to me like you need a new tuner. If he isn't putting a wideband in that thing, he isn't doing **** but wasting your money. Get to a reputable tuner and be done in one session.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Haans249
Sounds to me like you need a new tuner. If he isn't putting a wideband in that thing, he isn't doing **** but wasting your money. Get to a reputable tuner and be done in one session.
My thoughts exactly, no wideband. HE plugs into pcm with laptop and changes stuff? He is well known for great tunes around here, but most were stock and he modifies rev limiter, shift points, fan controls etc, stuff you can do with HPP3. Mine needs a custom tune which was told he'd provide and I'd be pleased as hell with. I have symptoms many with cammed cars have seen.
Running rich, almost dies after you let off the gas, coming to a stop. Does die w/ac on unless you feather the gas. WOT seems ok, just everything from idle up seems lacking. Seems like timing or fuel trims but I am from the carbuerator dayz. Thanks for all your responses.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:05 PM
Banned

Have him send your tune to someone for a mail order tune. You'll need very specific info on your mods to try and get it close.
He can send it to me, I have efilive. Or there are others on here as well.
You can PM me, or email @ edcmat-l1@msn.com
Old 12-02-2008, 04:06 PM
Banned

PS, you'll never get rid of the smell completely, but we can probably make it better.
A data log would be good too.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:15 PM
TECH Addict

No offense to Ed, he is a GREAT tuner, but you should really just take it to a good tuner there in Texas, maybe G-Force Motorsports? Ed can only get you so close through mail-order, so i would spend the money right, get it on the dyno and have it tuned for max power, then street tuning for driveability. Maybe Ed can recommend another shop in your area that does good tuning?

Ed is also right in that you will never get rid of the smell, its just the nature of the beast, but it can be made better.

Lastly, NEVER LET THE GUY TOUCH YOUR CAR AGAIN. And I would ask for a refund.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Haans249
No offense to Ed, he is a GREAT tuner, but you should really just take it to a good tuner there in Texas, maybe G-Force Motorsports? Ed can only get you so close through mail-order, so i would spend the money right, get it on the dyno and have it tuned for max power, then street tuning for driveability. Maybe Ed can recommend another shop in your area that does good tuning?

Ed is also right in that you will never get rid of the smell, its just the nature of the beast, but it can be made better.

Lastly, NEVER LET THE GUY TOUCH YOUR CAR AGAIN. And I would ask for a refund.
Yeah, that's pretty much true, BUT, I've seen some "pro" tunes that I can do better than with a mail order. It's hard to know nowadays what you're gonna get.
Sorry, don't really know anyone in that area to recommend.
PS, no offense taken.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

THanks alot guys, I was actually thinking of sending it to Thunder Racing since they made they cam. I figure they are bound to have quite a few tunes that may work better than what I have.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

THanks alot guys, I was actually thinking of sending it to Thunder Racing since they made they cam. I figure they are bound to have quite a few tunes that may work better than what I have.
That would make sense.

Glad you didn't take any offense Ed
Old 12-02-2008, 06:01 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Geoff could probably put a mail order tune in it to get it 99%, then you could come over for a final tune... He's definately tuned his share of those. It is one of our all time favorite cams.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Regular

i thought geoff left thunder?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:19 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for your input!! Last night I was able to get the freeze frame data from when my car throws an 1133 code. ( which would make it rich *** hell, I believe) If someine can translate the ltfts and stfts for me I'd appreciate it.
T.P. 10.1%
R.P.M. 1626
LOAD VAL 8.6%
AIRFLOW RATE 24.14 GPS
MAP 52 KPA
COOLANT TEMP 174
STFT1 4.6%
LTFT1 -7.7%
STFT2 0.7%
LTFT2 -5.1%
STFT3 10.9%
LTFT3 -1.0%
LTFT4 59.3%
STFT4 65.6%
VEHICLE SPEED 40 MPH
FUEL SYSTEM 1 CLSD
FUEL SYSTEM 2 CLSD
ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!
Old 12-04-2008, 01:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

isnt waco near dallas? if it is, i would just have the guys at L.G. motorsports or Xtreme horsepower try to tune it for you.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
isnt waco near dallas? if it is, i would just have the guys at L.G. motorsports or Xtreme horsepower try to tune it for you.
I've thought of this many times, but them not being familiar with this particular cam or reverse splits period is what concerns me. I want someone that can tame the bad characteristics if this cam!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:57 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've thought of this many times, but them not being familiar with this particular cam or reverse splits period is what concerns me. I want someone that can tame the bad characteristics if this cam!
That cam is pretty easy to tune; you don't need a world-famous tuner or the actual cam-designer to get it right...
Old 12-04-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Go to LG Motorsports, i'm sure they will guarantee their work as well.