Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Locked my PCM!

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner Locked my PCM!

I'm so MAD right now it's not even funny!! Here's the story..

My car got retuned back in October for a stalling issue I had (Car is / was cammed with a 232/236 with .600 lift,). Tri-Star / House of Torque did the cam and tuning on the car originally, but since they are no more I could not go back to them. So I went to a local performance shop. The Tuning that was done didn't help with the stalling at all, I later had the stalling issue fixed elsewhere due to mine and the orginal shops schedules never matching up and it was nothing big at all. I thought about complaining to the shop that my car wasn't fixed with the $600 tune I paid for (which I was told that was the answer for my stalling issue), but I didn't.. since they "performace tuned it" and I gained a couple of horsepower on the Dyno I figured no big deal at this point. (The car originally dyno'd a 392 before I purchased the car, They said it was 360 and showed me a new sheet showing 397 horsepower). I did tell them the car felt a little more sluggish off the line, but once again my Butt is neither a DYNO, nor ET clock so I couldn't be certain what I gained / lost so I took the dyno sheet as my answer. Anyways I was charged $600 and I didn't get my original problem fixed, however instead of putting up a fuss, I just decided to let this slide.

Fast forward to this week... I put a set of Patriot stage 2 heads on my car and when I went to have it tuned by someone I know... GUESS WHAT! MY DAMN PCM IS LOCKED! So I can't tune my car unless they do it or unlock it. Frankly I'm EXTREMELY MAD AT THIS SHOP (Who is a board sponsor mind you). I paid them $600 FRIGGIN DOLLARS FOR NOT FIXING MY CAR AND LOCKING MY PCM! FANTASTIC!!!!

Does a tuner have any right at all to lock your PCM?
Old 01-24-2009, 12:15 AM
TECH Regular

I would say "hell no", but that's me.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:00 AM
Banned

so which sponsor is it?
Old 01-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start a thread in the sponser feedback forum. I'm willing to bet the sponser's name starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet. If they're going to lock your tune, it should have said it on the qoute for the work.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Start a thread in the sponser feedback forum. I'm willing to bet the sponser's name starts with a letter near the end of the alphabet. If they're going to lock your tune, it should have said it on the qoute for the work.

No it's not who you think it is. I am going to try first to see if I can first get it unlocked, if I can not then trust me it will be no secret who it is...
Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

I beleave " waite4me" can unlock it mail order
great to work with you
Johnny
Old 01-24-2009, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Just tell them you want it unlocked. If they didn't specify before hand that was the case then it should be up to you (the owner of the PCM) to make the calls.

If they don't like that tell them you want your stock tune and $600 back.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:03 AM
Teching In

I would be happy with either my old Tune file unlocked and they keep the money, it unlocked as it sits, or Stock tune and my money back.... However I doubt this shop will do any of the three......
Old 01-25-2009, 09:38 AM
12 Second Club

i would really hope that any board sponser would unlock it for you if you want it unlocked. Honestly i would be really upset as well cause they should have at least told you...and at most not even locked it cause its not there ECU its yours.

But do what your doing and give them the chance to make it up to you...if they dont...make sure the board knows about it!
Old 01-25-2009, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

If it were me I would be I the guys face hard. I have not had the cops called on me yet but it has been close. This would be one of the close times. I know why it do most of my own work. That would make me crazy. Good luck
Old 01-25-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

If there a board sponsor then just threaten that you will talk **** abuo them if they don't unlock it.

A few negative comments will really sway people away from shops, even if they aren't entirely the truth. Which is sad, but that's the nature of the internet.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 AM
9 Second Club

This sounds crazy. The customer owns the pcm and the tune once the tune is paid for. Most tuners are using the same strategy to tune cars nowadays. I can understand if the tuner has some super secret way of making a few extra ponies, but locking should be disclosed and agreed upon by the customer before the tuning process.

Could you imagine if an engine buider made it so noone can take apart their engines to see the little tricks they use for more power.

Bottom line: If you paid for it you own it.
Old 01-25-2009, 11:59 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
If there a board sponsor then just threaten that you will talk **** abuo them if they don't unlock it.

A few negative comments will really sway people away from shops, even if they aren't entirely the truth. Which is sad, but that's the nature of the internet.
def because i am on the market for a new tune, my last tuner didnt do to well, and the comment made on this thread, " I bet it starts with a letter at the end of the alphabet, but the thread starter said I dont think we are talking about the same one? " now what does this leave us to belive. I mean I understand not bashing someone in public just yet, but at the same time NOT SAYING is kinda hurting all the other tuners rep ( obv not if you had previouse dealing ) but for someone wanting to find a new tuner this makes me a little edgy. EXP since I want to go to the one at the end of the alphabet
Old 01-25-2009, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you sure it's locked? What's it say when you try and read it?

If it's been tuned and has had a custom OS applied, you cannot tune it with a different software.

In other words, if it was tuned with HPT, and a COS applied, you cannot tune it with EFIlive. Conversely so, if the same was done with EFIlive, you cannot tune it with HPT.

If it is truly locked, you will not even be able to read it.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1

If it's been tuned and has had a custom OS applied, you cannot tune it with a different software.

In other words, if it was tuned with HPT, and a COS applied, you cannot tune it with EFIlive. Conversely so, if the same was done with EFIlive, you cannot tune it with HPT.

If it is locked with HPTuners there is a way to read it if you have HPTuners. And if that were the case you could copy the old tune in with the new gear and tire setttings.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

I don't see why they wouldn't unlock it for you. i'm sure if you just ask they will unlock it. I'm curious as to why they did lock it tho. Doesn't sound like its a 700hp car with some serious man hours into the tune or anything.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1

We couldn't read the tune file..
Old 01-25-2009, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

What software are you using? And what does it say?
Old 01-25-2009, 06:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ricernomore
def because i am on the market for a new tune, my last tuner didnt do to well, and the comment made on this thread, " I bet it starts with a letter at the end of the alphabet, but the thread starter said I dont think we are talking about the same one? " now what does this leave us to belive. I mean I understand not bashing someone in public just yet, but at the same time NOT SAYING is kinda hurting all the other tuners rep ( obv not if you had previouse dealing ) but for someone wanting to find a new tuner this makes me a little edgy. EXP since I want to go to the one at the end of the alphabet
If the tuner you want to use starts between S and Z in the alphabet, your safe in regards to this post. I really would like to find out there response before I go no holds barred in terms of blasting them... They could be cool about unlocking my PCM.. We shall see by this time tommorow...
Old 01-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
What software are you using? And what does it say?

HP Tuners, and it says security access denied

Quick Reply: Tuner Locked my PCM!