PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

few questions (MAF, scangauge(misfire setting), idle)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few questions (MAF, scangauge(misfire setting), idle)

I have a few more questions for anybody that might be able to help me out.

1.) I've got an Aeroforce scan gauge and I was flipping through the different parameters today. I stopped at the misfire parameter and I noticed it was at 0 for a while and then I gave it about 1/4 throttle and it jumped to 2. Then I later opened it up all the way and I watched my a/f go down around 10.0-10.2 and the misfire was reading 0. Then tonight when I was coming home it was idling really rough. It was reading 2-4 misfires on my cruise home and once it showed 24 while I was sitting at a stop light. Any ideas what might be going on? It tries to jump forward sometimes when I'm stopped, and while stopped, the a/f gauge goes back and forth from 16.5-18.2 and then to the dashes (like it does when you let off the gas). I don't know if that's normal, but I don't remember my dumdumdumdumdum doing that.

2.) I bought a stock MAF to replace my Granatelli (tuner didn't like it). Is there anyway to tell if it is working okay before I go all the way out to Chandler to get tuned again?

3.) Is anybody good at tracking down exhaust leaks? I think I found my biggest one, but I have what sounds like a leak up front somewhere and I can't figure out where it is coming from.

At this pace I won't make it to the track for another year.

Thanks for any help guys.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not too sure about 1 and 2 but the BEST way to hunt down an exhuast leak is to get a stethoscope, cut the end off, and poke that tube everywhere until you hear it popping.

If you have an EGR, check all over it, those o-rings get leaky and I have cross-threaded it onto the bung before, it SUCKS.

Hope that helps!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kdick91
I'm not too sure about 1 and 2 but the BEST way to hunt down an exhuast leak is to get a stethoscope, cut the end off, and poke that tube everywhere until you hear it popping.

If you have an EGR, check all over it, those o-rings get leaky and I have cross-threaded it onto the bung before, it SUCKS.

Hope that helps!
Haha, that was where my first exhaust leak (first that I found) was coming from. I was missing a nut/bolt from one side and the other side was loose. I fixed that problem. That might have been leaking when I got tuned. If I got tuned with an exhaust leak, then I fixed it, would that affect anything or possibly cause my idle problems? Thank you for your help.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I really only know the basics of tuning, but I would say having an exhaust leak would definitely affect the tuning (how much, I'm not sure). That leak can cause your AFR reading to deviate (again, no clue how much). I'm sure one of the guys from HPTuners will jump in soon and tell you better than I can. Try replacing the header gaskets if all else fails, missing a bolt can cause the gasket to go foul real quick, plus it's dirt cheap to fix.