PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with cams...you happy with how your car runs, the tune,etc?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 09:07 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live near lake geneva wisconsin right on the wisconsin illionis border i will prolly go to speed inc they seem to know their stuff when it comes to these ls1 cars!!!
Old 04-04-2009, 08:07 AM
Teching In

As has already been stated, tuning WOT is the easiest, that can be done with a wideband, software, and a long DESERTED road, just mat it, and adjust. Tuning lower rpm, higher vacuum areas is where experience, a loaded dyno, and LOTS of time are needed. A lot of the map can be adjusted running on the street, data logging, using commanded AFR vs delivered error %, (I am a HPTuner guy), but there are zones that are almost impossible to get at during normal, (what ever THAT is!), driving. The zones might get touched going up through the rpms once, and once coming back down once you've seen the police car, LOL. While street tuning, you should use smooth steady throttle movements so as not to get into acceleration enrichment or deceleration enleanment. Just putting a cam in causes the VE/MAF curves to change a bunch, below a certain rpm, the amount of air getting into the engine is less than the VCM expects, causing the A/F to richen, the cam is less efficient at this point, at a certain rpm, it'll match the stock curve, then as the rpm rises, it gets more efficient, allowing more air in, (how else does a cam make more power, right?), since more air is now coming through, the A/F now gets leaner. This is what "tuning" is, I have seen many "hack" tunes where the "tuner" just keeps adjusting the PE, (power enrichment) to get the WOT A/F to a number he wants. The proper way is mathematically, when a specific # is put into the PE, stoich divided by the number, (14.68/1.13=12.99), IF the air flow has been correctly adjusted for the current set up, putting 1.13 into PE should give a WOT of 13:1. Not only will the WOT be correct, but the rest of the map, you know the point that we spend most of our time driving, be correct. The tune is only as good as as the information the VCM gets, remember, an engine is basically a air pump, the VCM bases it's output on what it THINKS the air flow is. Proper tuning is a combination of software, experience, proper tools, TIME, not every one has these things.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

thank you Eagle.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 AM
TECH Resident

i had my ls6 heads/tsp 224 w/115 lsa tuned by Steve Frost with LSxTune.com located here in Richmond,VA. He came by my house and we did an ol'skool style street tune !! He sat in the passenger seat with the laptop and recorded data and while i drove my car like I stole it !! The main thing i really like about the guy ,was that his main concern was the street manners and he dialed right in ,even with the a/c running . cold start idle up 1000 rpms ,then idle down to 800 quickly . i had the tune in my car over a year and never had one problem .
Old 04-05-2009, 04:16 PM

you must have sen my goat is all I can say. The problems you are talking about with the vett, is 100% like my goat right now. I thought I was paying for a good tune and the car runs like A$$. I have a 04 a4 with a 3500 stall, ms3 cam, ud pully and LT's. I have never seen a rpm spike as bad as yesterday when I started the goat up. went from 500 to 1500then bounced around 900 to 1100. I have talked to the guy that did my work and he told me that the rpms are high because of the big cam. Sorry I dont beleave that crap at all have read to many post were guy are ideling around 750 to 800.
Any way just thought I would throw up my shitty tune story on here. Now looking to get a new tune from a guy with a good rep.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Resident

Stalled04goat,
Yes, that is bullshit. No matter what cam you have, a competent tuner can make your car run great. Where do you live (approx)? i will try and point you in the right direction if i can.

The thing that drives me nuts is the amount of money tuners charge to give you ****. $500 for what? lets say it costs $100 for the tuning credit. so that leave $400 you are paying for the work done. Lets say the tuner then takes 1 hour to tune the car. I am being generous saying 1 hour, as most tuners it seems take maybe 30 minutes, if that. So you are paying $400 and hour for a **** tune.

THe problem to me is that it is now acommon practice to charge 400-500 for a tune, regardless of quality and time spent. The original reason for 400-500 dollars being charged was because a tuner should take a couple hours tuning a car. even if the tuner took 4 hours to tune the car, that is $100 an hour!!! That is damn good money to make. However, due to laziness and greed, tuners still charge 400-500 bucks even when they slap some **** together and it takes them 30 minutes.

in my opinion, tuners who do this are not providing the service they were paid to provide. Therefore, when you car runs like **** and\or doesnt perform after a so-called "tune", the car owner should either not pay for the "tune", or should be refunded. If they arent, then the "tuner" should be taken to court. Charging someone half a Grand to do work, and then slapping some **** together that barely runs and calling it a day is dishonest and despicable, and damn near criminal (theft and\or fraud). Sadly, most people seem to allow "tuners" to get away with this practice.

I think a board, hopefully this one (ls1tech.com), could step up to the plate and stop this fraud from taking place. If people were encouraged to post up there tunes, along with the shop name and how their car perfoms (idle, drivability, etc), the practice of ripping people off with **** tunes would damn near stop. If tuners knew their work and name would be out there for all to see, including future customers, they would be inclined to do honest work. HYowever, it seems that people are hesitant to post up when they get ripped off, likely for the following reasons. Members are afraid to be banned because sponsors are protected, and members are also worried about being black-listed by shops.

I think this would be a good thing to do, not only for the members but also for honest tuners. So far i have been talking about shitty\dishonest tuners, but there are alot of great\honest tuners out there who do kick *** work. If it could be openly discussed who did great work and who sucks, those who are honest would get alot more business. It would also encourage the shady tuners to get on the ball and do better work. Its a win win all around. The only people who lose are those who are dishonest thieves, so who really cares if they oppose the idea?

my $.02
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll throw a penny or two of my thoughts into here. I'm not trying to say some shops don't do crap tunes or just get cars out as quickly as possible and frankly I can't speak for any other shops. I take pride in my work and in my tunes so I do the most that I can keeping in a reasonable timeframe and bill to the customer but the fact is it's not always possible for a tuner to create every situation the car owner will encounter over years of driving. I drive the cars on the street, do 3 point turns, pull into and out of parking spots, hard stops, easy stops, etc. to try and create as many possible problem scenarios as I can. I also keep cars for multiple days so I have ample opportunities to his cold start and idle situations. All that yet I have to try and remain competitive on pricing since we all know time is money and if I'm tuning your car I'm not tuning someone elses so I need to be paid for my time. For bolt on cars I charge flat rates (with a couple exceptions) but pretty much everything else is done on an hourly rate because some setups are just going to take longer to tune than others.
This tuning relationship is two sided also. Customers need to be reasonable and understanding. Some people want drive thru tuning where they can pull in, tell me what they have, pay, and leave with a tune. It doesn't work like that. You don't go to the drive thru at McDonalds and expect a gourmet meal. I can't tell you how many people want to wait while their car gets tuned. I can understand for those who have to travel to get here but the reality is how well do you expect your tune to come out if you want to sit here for 3 hours and have me try to squeeze out a tune. Plus how do you expect any cold start/idle to be done when you drive the car here and it's hot as soon as you get here. I can take my best guess but I figure most people aren't handing over money for a guess.
I also can't say I've hit every tune I've done 100% for every single possible scenario the car will encounter but I've always helped people if they call and say they have an issue here or there. People have come to the shop and I've hopped in the car with them and had them go recreate the problem spot. I've also met up with people at places outside of the shop or the track to help with any issues. So we just have to remember that boths sides need to be reasonable and understanding.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Johny GTO

The thing that drives me nuts is the amount of money tuners charge to give you ****. $500 for what? lets say it costs $100 for the tuning credit. so that leave $400 you are paying for the work done. Lets say the tuner then takes 1 hour to tune the car. I am being generous saying 1 hour, as most tuners it seems take maybe 30 minutes, if that. So you are paying $400 and hour for a **** tune.

THe problem to me is that it is now acommon practice to charge 400-500 for a tune, regardless of quality and time spent. The original reason for 400-500 dollars being charged was because a tuner should take a couple hours tuning a car. even if the tuner took 4 hours to tune the car, that is $100 an hour!!! That is damn good money to make.....

You clearly have not spent enough time in this scene or you are just seeing it how you want to see it.

$100/hr isn't squat, you haven't even begun to LOOK at overhead.

Also, your estimate of time involved is so far off-kilter that it's almost funny. I tuned 2 cars this weekend. One of them was simply a retune after injector swap on a high HP stock bottom end (645rwhp LS1) and I spent 5 hours with it making sure it was safe and RIGHT. Sunday, I put 6 hours (1 to make a base file and 5 on the car) into a 6.0L TFS headed, Fast92, g5x4 (111LSA) car with a th400. I have to re-visit this car in the next few evenings for some stall-up and then lift (throttle) sag. It's on me to drive back to the car and get it right. By the time I am done with it, I will have 8-9 hours into it EASILY. I have money in gas driving back to him, I have the LARGE cost of the tuning software, the cost of insurance, the [relatively high] cost of board sponsorship, the cost of wideband sensors, etc.... and that's not counting the shop overhead and dyno overhead that most others have also.

If you have a H/C car and it drives WELL and runs WELL and you paid under $500, you got a deal.

The other option is to buy the software and DIY. Though I bet as many as a 1/5 to 1/6th of the cars I tune, the owners bought the software and piddled for 3-5months and then brought the car in for tuning after being disgusted by the level of involvement.

TALK to your tuners... find out what software they will use. Ask them their general approach. If they sound like they are blowing smoke, they probably are.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:45 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frost is right, $350-$500 is about right for a basic tune (wot dyno , basic idle, shift points, etc.).
Driveability tune on a h/c is much more. I did mine myself with HP Tuners and a wideband and have 15-18 hrs easy in it. I had 2 hours of dyno time, 10 runs at the track, and a ton of street driving and 15-20 cold starts before I got it perfect.

I still find fault with it occasionally and almost don't want to drive without scanning it with HPT but I'm **** that way. If it runs 12.65 AFR when I commanded 12.8 it needs work. That's why I did my own, no tuner would make me happy for less than 2 grand.

Granted, if I did it for a living I would be faster at it but it would still take a ton of time and effort. These cars can and should be tuned to run right but like anything either learn to do it yourself or be prepared to pay $$$.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Kaltech Tuning
I'll throw a penny or two of my thoughts into here. I'm not trying to say some shops don't do crap tunes or just get cars out as quickly as possible and frankly I can't speak for any other shops. I take pride in my work and in my tunes so I do the most that I can keeping in a reasonable timeframe and bill to the customer but the fact is it's not always possible for a tuner to create every situation the car owner will encounter over years of driving. I drive the cars on the street, do 3 point turns, pull into and out of parking spots, hard stops, easy stops, etc. to try and create as many possible problem scenarios as I can. I also keep cars for multiple days so I have ample opportunities to his cold start and idle situations. All that yet I have to try and remain competitive on pricing since we all know time is money and if I'm tuning your car I'm not tuning someone elses so I need to be paid for my time. For bolt on cars I charge flat rates (with a couple exceptions) but pretty much everything else is done on an hourly rate because some setups are just going to take longer to tune than others.
This tuning relationship is two sided also. Customers need to be reasonable and understanding. Some people want drive thru tuning where they can pull in, tell me what they have, pay, and leave with a tune. It doesn't work like that. You don't go to the drive thru at McDonalds and expect a gourmet meal. I can't tell you how many people want to wait while their car gets tuned. I can understand for those who have to travel to get here but the reality is how well do you expect your tune to come out if you want to sit here for 3 hours and have me try to squeeze out a tune. Plus how do you expect any cold start/idle to be done when you drive the car here and it's hot as soon as you get here. I can take my best guess but I figure most people aren't handing over money for a guess.
I also can't say I've hit every tune I've done 100% for every single possible scenario the car will encounter but I've always helped people if they call and say they have an issue here or there. People have come to the shop and I've hopped in the car with them and had them go recreate the problem spot. I've also met up with people at places outside of the shop or the track to help with any issues. So we just have to remember that boths sides need to be reasonable and understanding.
I agree 100% with everything you said here. I completely agree that many people are unrealistic in their expectations and demands. Sounds to me like you take pride in your work and do an excellent job. Its too bad that most people dont take pride in their work the way you do. Glad to see you try and provide all your customers with the best work you can do. keep it up.

Originally Posted by Frost
You clearly have not spent enough time in this scene or you are just seeing it how you want to see it.

$100/hr isn't squat, you haven't even begun to LOOK at overhead.

Also, your estimate of time involved is so far off-kilter that it's almost funny. I tuned 2 cars this weekend. One of them was simply a retune after injector swap on a high HP stock bottom end (645rwhp LS1) and I spent 5 hours with it making sure it was safe and RIGHT. Sunday, I put 6 hours (1 to make a base file and 5 on the car) into a 6.0L TFS headed, Fast92, g5x4 (111LSA) car with a th400. I have to re-visit this car in the next few evenings for some stall-up and then lift (throttle) sag. It's on me to drive back to the car and get it right. By the time I am done with it, I will have 8-9 hours into it EASILY. I have money in gas driving back to him, I have the LARGE cost of the tuning software, the cost of insurance, the [relatively high] cost of board sponsorship, the cost of wideband sensors, etc.... and that's not counting the shop overhead and dyno overhead that most others have also.
If you have a H/C car and it drives WELL and runs WELL and you paid under $500, you got a deal.
The other option is to buy the software and DIY. Though I bet as many as a 1/5 to 1/6th of the cars I tune, the owners bought the software and piddled for 3-5months and then brought the car in for tuning after being disgusted by the level of involvement.
TALK to your tuners... find out what software they will use. Ask them their general approach. If they sound like they are blowing smoke, they probably are.
I think you are taking what i have said the wrong way. I am not claiming to know what costs are involved with your work, nor a performance shop. I was merely talking about someone who tunes and a reasonable guess at their cashflow. The $100 an hour wasnt talking about a shop with all sorts of overhead and expenses, merely joe-blow tuner who has HP-tuners and tunes. By no means am i saying what is charged is unreasonable. Perhaps it should be molre then $500 dollars for a tune. Again, i dont claim to know what it should or shouldnt cost for a tune, or bitching about the cost of things. I am not claiming that tuning is too expensive or a rip-off, or anything else. I am sure there is alot that goes into it and it takes alot of skill and dedication to get good at it. Like any other skill or profession, the person with said skill deserves to be compensated for not only their work, but also all the time and effort they put into learning said skill.

Long story short, what i was saying is it is dishonest and shameful that some people (tuners) will charge their customers $400-500 bucks for a tune, and then take 30 minutes tuning the car which then runs like ****, doesnt perform, etc. However you slice it, that is fraud. I am just expressing my dissapointment in tuners who do shitty jobs and are basically scamming customers, and my respect for tuners who do a good job and take pride in their work, like it seems you (Frost) and Kaltech tuning do. I wishg more people were like youz twoz.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some cars are just a PITA for some reason. For every few that go easy, you get a few that wanna kick your *** for no apparent reason.

I've had cars where I've dialed everything in as perfectly as I could, RAF, VE, timing, TC, TF, and they STILL don't want to act right. Then you have to go and get "creative" on em.

Everyone wants a 240/248 cam, 550 rwhp, and drive like stock. Fact is, most of the time, there's going to be some sort of nuances. Heck, I can make a bone stock M6 car surge at low load low RPM.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by srpoweredcoupeNWH
i'm located in nashville,tn and really need help finding someone who can do a good tune my car is very anoying to drive right now
take your car to Spectacle Solutions in Memphis, TN. They have done all the work to my 04 GTO, heads,headers, cam, manifold, etc and best of all GREAT tune. Yeah its 3 hours away for u but I live in clarksville, tn north of you and its worth the drive. I found out about them by mouth cuz im originally from memphis. They are also on this site here is their link. https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=8120 If your serious contact me and I can give you a contact number or just write a private message to them.
They actually told me about this forum and I joined it just today..I used to only go to ls1.com but i already like this site better.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I seriously hope this is not a spin off of the threads on the GTO forum.

The biggest problem out there is that alot of shops own tuning software to make the quick buck.Also alot of people do not relieze there car is running like crap since they had a "tuner" dial in the car.

I will agree with Ed.For every few easy tunes there are a few that kick you in the nut's.There have been plenty of cars I've fully tuned in under 1/2 hour mostly due to the knowledge and a real good starting tune.Then there are some that take a day even though it's a simple setup.

The absolute worse is being blamed for a bad tune then come to find out the owner changed some critical parts or had a buddy try to tune it after you.That happens more than you would think.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I seriously hope this is not a spin off of the threads on the GTO forum.

The biggest problem out there is that alot of shops own tuning software to make the quick buck.Also alot of people do not relieze there car is running like crap since they had a "tuner" dial in the car.

I will agree with Ed.For every few easy tunes there are a few that kick you in the nut's.There have been plenty of cars I've fully tuned in under 1/2 hour mostly due to the knowledge and a real good starting tune.Then there are some that take a day even though it's a simple setup.

The absolute worse is being blamed for a bad tune then come to find out the owner changed some critical parts or had a buddy try to tune it after you.That happens more than you would think.
nope, not a spin off of another thread. And as far as people changing tunes or parts, that sucks as well.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:16 PM

Johnny gto
I live in Indy but have found a guy with a dam good rep and I have seen some of the cars he does so that is who I will be going with. I have to say I was pissed at the tuner for the bad tune after he kept my car for 4 days. no big deal as I had another guy tell me you learn fast who you can trust and who you can not. thx for starting this thread it gave me some where to vent besides the wife.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by stalled04goat
Johnny gto
I live in Indy but have found a guy with a dam good rep and I have seen some of the cars he does so that is who I will be going with. I have to say I was pissed at the tuner for the bad tune after he kept my car for 4 days. no big deal as I had another guy tell me you learn fast who you can trust and who you can not. thx for starting this thread it gave me some where to vent besides the wife.
sucks you had a bad experience. Glad you found someone you feel you can trust and work with. Hope everything works out.
I love my tune, as far as what i know of it. if judging on drivability, i couldnt be happier.