Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Performa trans Yank stall. My tune, efi live

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Performa trans Yank stall. My tune, efi live

alright so I put a performa lvl 2 trans and a yank pt4000 stall in the car. I got efi live up and going and I got the tune off the car. Its not a stock tune. I think performa wants the line pressure tables set back to stock so I suppose thats a starting point.

attaching my tune.
Attached Files
File Type: tun
1998_TA_a4_basetune.tun (469.6 KB, 107 views)

Last edited by drone; 04-17-2009 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So. do you have a question? Are you wanting to know how to tune for the transmission and for the stall? Your current post contains only statements, no questions. Not trying to be a smartass, but it is difficult to discern with such a post.
Let us know, it would really help.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha, I was thinking the same thing. I can probably help you but I need to know what you want.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

oh how silly of me. But yeah, im trying to learn how to tune this thing. Im not too sure on how much needs to be changed yet. Id like to get input and keep posting up revised tunes. or something like that.

so, line pressure to stock?

should i make the lockup only engage in 4th? im guessing to do that I would max out the third gear apply speeds.

and just any useful information about anything I should be changing for this stall would be appreciated.

Last edited by drone; 04-10-2009 at 03:57 PM.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:26 PM
10 Second Club

so, line pressure to stock?
Yes.

should i make the lockup only engage in 4th? im guessing to do that I would max out the third gear apply speeds
Yes. 3rd gear lockup and the PT4000 don't work well together. However, I could get the 3rd gear lockup to work with the shifter in 3 for whatever reason. Overall, the PT4000 is going to require a fair amount of tuning.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

-So trans pressure is back to stock.

-torque reduction is zero'd out.

-TCC third gear lock up was maxed out. Now what should i do with the 4th gear? I think stock locks up at 36mph. whats a good lockup speed for 4th?

-TCC throttle release. The values are all at 100. the same as stock. Should this be changed any?

-shift times all at zero.

-throttle kick down? should this be changed any?

I scanned the car but im not getting any codes yet. Are there any that I should just disable from the get go?

revised tune attached.
Attached Files
1998_TA_a4_draft.tun (469.9 KB, 87 views)
Old 04-13-2009, 11:10 PM
10 Second Club

whats a good lockup speed for 4th?
It really depends on your exact setup, but 36mph is low for a PT4000. I had mine set at 48 mph. You will have to drive it and see if it lugs at a certain mph then raise it.

TCC throttle release. The values are all at 100. the same as stock. Should this be changed any?
I have mine set lower so the TC releases before 100%, but if yours kicks down fine at 100%, just leave it alone.

shift times all at zero.
Should be okay.

throttle kick down? should this be changed any?
You can lower the % if you want. If the converter flashes instantly when you hit WOT (100% tps) leave it alone. Otherwise lowering the value may help. I had the TCC release set lower than the kickdown % because sometimes there was a slight delay when the converter unlocked to WOT compared to actual tps. It's really trial and error to tweak your specific setup.
Old 04-13-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drone

-TCC third gear lock up was maxed out. Now what should i do with the 4th gear? I think stock locks up at 36mph. whats a good lockup speed for 4th?

I scanned the car but im not getting any codes yet. Are there any that I should just disable from the get go?
My is set for TCC is set for 50mph in 4th. It won't take long for you to figure out where you want yours.

The TCC duty cycle tables should be set for 100 max and 99 min.

And I've had a P0757 code, I've also read that some will get a P0751. So you can turn those off. Otherwise you might be riding around without a few gears til you get the code turned off.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

i dont even have a po757 code in my 98 pcm. im not throwing any codes either. Is it possible to go in limp mode without pulling a code?

and what about tuning the part throttle shifts? i bumped all the tables up one to make it shift just a tad later based on some advice on the efi live forums. is that all I should do?
Old 04-16-2009, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Im having some trouble. I have a log of today. Started the car. Let the idle calm down. Ran it through some gears. Backed out of the driveway, got about 10 feet and the car stalled out. Started it back up and put it in drive. took it for a half spirited drive around the block and came back. hit about 5k rpm for a second at one point. the car felt slow. But that could be not having a cam for this stall yet. It didnt seem to pull at a steady pace. I got back to the driveway and ran it through some more gears. At one point I put it into drive and tried to move forward but the car didnt move. Took it to 3k. Dropped it down to manual 1st and it went forward. Sometimes when I put it in drive I swear I hear a faint grinding noise.

Some things I noticed from the log. The transmission switch says invalid when the car acts up. It will say its 3rd gear but I dont think its going into any gear. And im not pulling any codes. Im not sure if this is just all tuning or if something is actually wrong.

heres my current tune and a log file.
Attached Files
1998_TA_a4_draft3.tun (470.0 KB, 79 views)
File Type: efi
Log_0004.efi (35.5 KB, 88 views)

Last edited by drone; 04-16-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not familiar with efi live, but in HPtuners, you typically do not set your shift speeds to 0. I have mine set to ".100". Supposedly if it is set too low, the tranny gets confused or something, but I have not tried it, it is just what I have heard happens. Might give that a try? Good luck.

Also, change your sig, you are probably jinxin yourself saying your tranny and converter are waiting to go in. Its bad ju ju to do that you know. lol.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

ha, once they work!

i just went and let the car idle. perfectly fine. Put the car in reverse and the rpm's drop and the car struggles to not die for a second. I hear a bunch of dull thumping noises. Put the car in neutral. Back to normal idle. Put the car in drive, back to the bad idle and noise. Shift down through all the gears and go back up. Put it back in park and it starts sounding like a bunch of rocks flying around inside the transmission. sigh. guess ill have to get under there when i get a chance. something is bad.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:03 PM
10 Second Club

Put it back in park and it starts sounding like a bunch of rocks flying around inside the transmission.
Check the clearance for the torque converter bolt heads to see if they are hitting the oil pan. Make sure to check the fluid.

Put the car in reverse and the rpm's drop and the car struggles to not die for a second. I hear a bunch of dull thumping noises.
That's not unusual when swapping to an aftermarket converter that is lighter than the stock one. It may just need an idle relearn because you're on the stock cam. Adding a little airflow in gear will help as well.
Old 04-17-2009, 08:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

The code you are looking for is PO756 on your car. later ones used po757
The idle issues are comon and can take a little effort to work out.
I PM you the name of someone who will likley be able to advise you on all of these. He does tuning for a living.
Frank

Call 888-744-6542

Quick Reply: Performa trans Yank stall. My tune, efi live