Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 engine harness question

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2002 engine harness question

I am looking for the tach wire that goes into the car in the kick panel. I know that pin 10 (white wire) is the tach signal on the pcm, but I'm not sure how the tach signal gets in the car. Both harness C220 and C230 do not seem to have the tach wire anywhere in them, but yet those are the only two plugs that go into the kick panel (or anywhere in the car for that matter). Anybody know what wire i need for this? My 98 body harness has the tach wire as C230 plug pin D.

Or if i can't find the kick panel wire, is there any reason i can't jump my body harness tach wire with pin 10 on the engine harness? Is it the same signal?

any help is much appreciated
Old 04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a grey wire in one of the plugs coming through the firewall by the bcm? As far as I can tell, that should be the Data line for the feed to the cluster. There is no single wire that controls the tach by itself as far as I can see.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by salemetro
Is there a grey wire in one of the plugs coming through the firewall by the bcm? As far as I can tell, that should be the Data line for the feed to the cluster. There is no single wire that controls the tach by itself as far as I can see.
I found that the tach wire goes to the body plug C105 Pin G vs. my 98 body harness being a pcm wire instead.

thanks again

Last edited by fitz98ta; 04-22-2009 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:27 PM
TECH Resident

Wrong,the data feed line does not control he tach. That pin 10 (white wire) is the tach feed wire. if you cant find it in the harness, jump right off that pin on the ecm straight to your tach.

Off the 02 engine harness there should be 5 plugs. 3 went to the factory fuse block, the other 2 went through the firewall and connect right by the BCM. honestly dont know which connector holds that wire. either test all the wires with a meter to find it, or just jumper off the ecm, easiest way.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by andrew69_04
Wrong,the data feed line does not control he tach. That pin 10 (white wire) is the tach feed wire. if you cant find it in the harness, jump right off that pin on the ecm straight to your tach.

Off the 02 engine harness there should be 5 plugs. 3 went to the factory fuse block, the other 2 went through the firewall and connect right by the BCM. honestly dont know which connector holds that wire. either test all the wires with a meter to find it, or just jumper off the ecm, easiest way.
I am planning on jumping off the pcm #10 wire since i already have a wire running next to my body harness for my shift light. Just making sure it would still carry the same signal.

thank you as well
Old 04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

found it! should be in plug C105 (one of the fuse block plugins) should be pin G.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:35 PM
10 Second Club

found it! should be in plug C105 (one of the fuse block plugins) should be pin G.
so you do think jumping off the pcm pin 10 on the 02 engine harness will carry the same signal to my 98 tach?
Old 04-22-2009, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Curious....what are you using to find your info...I'm using mitchell's, and it does not seem to be very specific as to Plug/location....kinda leaves me having to trace in spots. Just curious.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fitz98ta
so you do think jumping off the pcm pin 10 on the 02 engine harness will carry the same signal to my 98 tach?
Again...maybe I'm off base here...but the 98 cluster shows to be a 1 year only cluster. It's my understanding that 99-02 were all serial data controlled clusters. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken
Old 04-22-2009, 02:23 PM
10 Second Club

Again...maybe I'm off base here...but the 98 cluster shows to be a 1 year only cluster. It's my understanding that 99-02 were all serial data controlled clusters. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken
well for sake of my tach not working i hope you are wrong, lol. For the fact that tachs and shift lights will hook into any year and work on a 4 cyl setting I would think that the gauges work with the same signal, just pinned different.

If anyone else has any insight on this i would love to hear it. I am getting close to being able to test, but still have some stuff to put on the motor before i get to fire it up.