Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PE question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LeftySS
Now I am seeing how it all works together. I knew how to go about tuning the car as far as how to setup the scanner and what tables to adjust according to the wideband. Just wanted to know how the computer interprets all this and then determines the amount of fuel. So if no airflow characteristics of the engine change then VE can be left alone.
From what you said post #1, I think you meant to say this:
If you change the commanded OL table or the PE table, then the VE table can be left alone...
step 3 computes the fuelmass needed for the airmass (step 1) to meet the looked up AFR (step 2).

If you change the airflow characteristics, you change the cylinder airmass...
i.e. VE table will have to now be changed as JonCR96Z said.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:57 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeftySS
So am I right with this logic? It doesn't matter if you decide to command 14.7 or 13.0 or whatever, when you are tuning VE.

The values you end up with in the VE Would be the same either way? That is if you get the % error down to the same amount for each.

Can someone answer this question? In theory would this be correct?
Old 05-13-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, that's right. It's not about the AFR, it's about the error %.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you have to change in HP Tuners to make the car idle in Speed Density but drive using VE & MAF? Car idles so well in sD, but it seems easier for
me to tune MAF, being that it is so linear.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Closed-loop.

Being someone sarcastic, but in reality utilizing a stock setup 'most' of idle is VE Table related, and normal driving is primarily MAF with airflow correction(s) from the VE Table.

A good tune will have your airflow from the VE Table and MAF relatively identical. Getting there is not easy, and so far I have not found one shortcut...short of utilizing Trim functions through closed-loop.

Even that has it's inherent flaws, but you can get your tune close and let Trims clean it up.

I am not sure I would say MAF is 'linear'. There are a lot of frequency's and airflow, and it becomes exponential as you go up the scale.

After a year of doing this, I learned to go back to basics. Trying to create your own hybrid tune never seems to work.

I would just stick to one system and get your airflow and AFR dialed in. Then it will all work.

Good luck..

..WeathermanShawn..