Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tachometer don't work??

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 01:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tachometer don't work??

What will cause the stock tachometer doesn't work?

The car is a 2000 TA M6. After head/cam installed then fire it up, everything works fine with a base tune. I want to do some more test run and tune, it started had some mechanical problem (Here's the thread). We can't even pinpoint what kinda mechanical problem yet, now the tachometer didn't work.

I know it's an electrical problem, but I'm not sure it's related to the mechanical problem I've now. Any help, advise, opinion will be appreciate.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My tach quit working. Got cam sensor failure code. Cam sensor is needed for the tach.Other than that mabye check fuses but dont' think tach has its own fuse.Any codes, hard starting?
If fixed my cam sensor problem and tach is working fine now.
Old 06-02-2009, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it possible something wrong with the PCM?
Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Are you getting cam sensor codes? Any check engine lights.If your cam sensor goes you get no tach.
Is the car harder to start?
Scan the car ,if not codes than maybe tach itself is fubar. I doubt its ecu if it was ecu likely more stuff wouldn't work or you would likley get codes for that.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:40 PM
10 Second Club

mine wasnt working and finally threw a crank sensor code which was the culprit.... its either the cam, or crank sensor.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Crank sensor not working car normally does not start . Cam sensor car starts hard. Cam sensor sends signal to the tach.Think crank sensor sends signals to the ecu.

But if you cam sensor is gone then you car should be hard to start with check engine light on.It may need several tries to start but it will start. Mileage I think gets a lot worse and idle and sound of engine is think rougher. The engine is firing in batch fire mode not sequential.

If you have none of the above symptoms the maybe your tack is just fubar. There don't seem to be any fuse for the tach maybe several gauges and the tech not sure on that. Are any other guages not working?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd agree, check for cam sensor codes (usually a hard star condition will be present as well). Also double check the grounds to ensure clean/strong connections.

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!

Quick Reply: Tachometer don't work??