PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No local tuners...who should i go to?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 04:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No local tuners...who should i go to?

When my build gets finished, i want it tuned by the best. It's a NA ~11.4:1 LSX 454, hydraulic roller, pump gas, and hopefully will have a 55mm Harrop ITB intake on top of the TFS 245's if i can gather up the money in time.

Basically, my question is: "If you could have anyone in the lower 48 tune your car, who would it be?" i live in southwest missouri, dead nuts in the middle of the country. There are some tuners in the "area," but none that i would trust with my car. The closest person i would use is Ed Wright in Tulsa, OK...but i would kind of like to use someone that's tuned an engine with a ITB intake before...anyone know anybody like that
Old 06-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Give All Out Performance in Springfield,MO a call. Ask for Wes.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:45 PM
11 Second Club

Dude, without a doubt Vengeance. I trailered my old car down there and my new one is already at the shop!!!!
Old 06-27-2009, 05:56 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BOTTLEFEDLS1Z
Dude, without a doubt Vengeance. I trailered my old car down there and my new one is already at the shop!!!!
I second that. I drove there from MN. I love how my car drives. Vengeance R&D FTMFW
Old 06-27-2009, 08:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly...this is a question I'd ask on the HPTuners and EFILive forums (they both have their own)...any sponsor will need to charge you a lot to really tune that properly...with an ITB setup, there's a LOT of work nailing everything down perfectly...anyone can make it make great power on the dyno, but for you to get the absolute best running car in the end, it will probably take someone with EXTREME attention to detail a couple days to really get every aspect of that tune done right.

I'm not trying to take anything away from any sponsors and their quality of work, just want you to understand that they have to make money, and most cars aren't nearly as complicated to tune as an ITB car...and when it's tuned, an ITB car with a ridiculous engine below the ITB's, will run really really really nicely.

The last ITB car I tuned (I built the ITB's too) took me almost a week to dial in.

Send me a PM if you want me to explain in more detail.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would give Mike @ Rapid Motorsports a call. He does wonders in making power. My 427ci #s are in my sig.
Old 06-27-2009, 10:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
Honestly...this is a question I'd ask on the HPTuners and EFILive forums (they both have their own)...any sponsor will need to charge you a lot to really tune that properly...with an ITB setup, there's a LOT of work nailing everything down perfectly...anyone can make it make great power on the dyno, but for you to get the absolute best running car in the end, it will probably take someone with EXTREME attention to detail a couple days to really get every aspect of that tune done right.

I'm not trying to take anything away from any sponsors and their quality of work, just want you to understand that they have to make money, and most cars aren't nearly as complicated to tune as an ITB car...and when it's tuned, an ITB car with a ridiculous engine below the ITB's, will run really really really nicely.

The last ITB car I tuned (I built the ITB's too) took me almost a week to dial in.

Send me a PM if you want me to explain in more detail.
This is kind of what i was thinking. i was really hoping to just make a 3 day weekend out of it, like get a saturday tune scheduled (if they're open), drive down friday, maybe start friday evening, work satruday and finish up and come home sunday. That may or may not be possible, but i'll worry about scheduling when i have an assembled car that actually needs tuned.

I've heard good things about Vengeance, i've had them in mind for a while. Only thing is, ITB-equipped cars are hard to find, and even harder to find people who have worked on/tuned them. i want to KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that when i put the car back on the trailer it is PERFECT and i won't ever have to come back or adjust anything unless i modify the setup.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would schedule more than 1 day for the tuning. More like 4-5 days. I would think they would need lots of time to do data logging on the road.

I could be way off though
Old 06-27-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Frost - Steve Williams.

Tunedbyfrost.com
Old 06-27-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
This is kind of what i was thinking. i was really hoping to just make a 3 day weekend out of it, like get a saturday tune scheduled (if they're open), drive down friday, maybe start friday evening, work satruday and finish up and come home sunday. That may or may not be possible, but i'll worry about scheduling when i have an assembled car that actually needs tuned.

I've heard good things about Vengeance, i've had them in mind for a while. Only thing is, ITB-equipped cars are hard to find, and even harder to find people who have worked on/tuned them. i want to KNOW, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that when i put the car back on the trailer it is PERFECT and i won't ever have to come back or adjust anything unless i modify the setup.
If you lived closer to me I'd do it for you, I prefer to tune unique/well thought out setups...the same old bolt on's crap bores me and thats why I don't do it for a living...I tune locals guys stuff to help them with gas mileage or firmer shifts...but only if they're a friend, I MUCH prefer to spend a long time tuning a crazy setup. Usually I wind up trading cars with someone for a week or something...they have to have a pretty cool car for me to just leave them with the keys to my Camaro...but the way I see it, if they're trusting me to drive/tune their car like it's my own...I can do the same with them.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like several others have mentioned, Mike from Vengeance racing. The guy is phenomenal. He will spend every required minute to make your car run perfect. He is obsessed with perfection.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Vengeance is up towards the top of my list for sure, i just wish i knew of a ITB setup they've done.

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
If you lived closer to me I'd do it for you, I prefer to tune unique/well thought out setups...the same old bolt on's crap bores me and thats why I don't do it for a living...I tune locals guys stuff to help them with gas mileage or firmer shifts...but only if they're a friend, I MUCH prefer to spend a long time tuning a crazy setup. Usually I wind up trading cars with someone for a week or something...they have to have a pretty cool car for me to just leave them with the keys to my Camaro...but the way I see it, if they're trusting me to drive/tune their car like it's my own...I can do the same with them.

Dude i wouldn't have a problem with you tuning my car if you could prove you knew what you were doing and had other respectable/reputable people vouch for you. BUT, i have a huge problem just leaving my car with you. Nothing personal, but no matter who tunes my car or where they do it, i'm going to be no less then 5 feet from it at any time. my pockets are pretty shallow and i can't afford ANYTHING to go wrong with thie build once it's all pieced together. if it breaks, it's for sale as is, plain and simple.

I can't say my setup is crazy, but it's well thought out and unique for sure.

I guess i just need to do some research still. i've had a couple guys ask if i were using the stock PCM or a stand-alone...not sure why, i guess because of the intake. i'm going to go out on a limb and assume that that is something i need to start looking in to because i had not planned on running any aftermarket computer.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:50 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
I would schedule more than 1 day for the tuning. More like 4-5 days. I would think they would need lots of time to do data logging on the road.

I could be way off though
i hope you're wrong but you may not be. when i had my first engine tuned by Ed Wright, it took about 4 hours. it was nothing spectacular, but he started from scratch and when it was done it was perfect...and i mean PERFECT. it was just a stock bottom end H/C/I LS1, nothing out of the ordinary. He asked that i send a list of all the mods to him in advance, which i did. when i brought the car in, he loaded his tune, tweaked it, did about 2 or 3 pulls for the WOT tuning, and then went from idle to about 4K IIRC in 500rpm increments adjusting who knows what (i'm not tuning savvy) for the driveability.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

Come up here to KC and have Dlove tune it! I love the tune he put on my car!
Old 06-28-2009, 02:09 AM
11 Second Club

I don't know whats up with that intake you want, but our set-ups are pretty close and I'm running a 96/96 setup from Vengeance. I didn't have the money to run a sheetmetal, didn't want to cut the cowl up so thats why I'm running the fast. I'm not spining this new motor to the moon to have to make power either...

Call them up and talk to Ron. Tell him whats up and you'll be in good hands.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:11 AM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000_SS
i hope you're wrong but you may not be. when i had my first engine tuned by Ed Wright, it took about 4 hours. it was nothing spectacular, but he started from scratch and when it was done it was perfect...and i mean PERFECT. it was just a stock bottom end H/C/I LS1, nothing out of the ordinary. He asked that i send a list of all the mods to him in advance, which i did. when i brought the car in, he loaded his tune, tweaked it, did about 2 or 3 pulls for the WOT tuning, and then went from idle to about 4K IIRC in 500rpm increments adjusting who knows what (i'm not tuning savvy) for the driveability.
He is asking for tuning of eight individual throttle-body's. It is not your ordinary setup at all.

As for the OP, Katech and Doug Rippie Motorsports use ITB manifold setups on their Corvette race cars. They are within driving distance to you as well. I would give them a call.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JakeFusion™
He is asking for tuning of eight individual throttle-body's. It is not your ordinary setup at all.

As for the OP, Katech and Doug Rippie Motorsports use ITB manifold setups on their Corvette race cars. They are within driving distance to you as well. I would give them a call.
good call, i forgot about Katech. i WOULD trust them to tune it for sure, but they seem awful proud of their stuff. i'm not sure if i could afford to have them tune it

....and ANYONE is within driving distance if they're the right shop for the job.

I'm not in a huge hurry to get this done, i still have yet to order the intake, but plan on it as soon as my motorcycle sells. It's usually a 4 week wait, give or take a bit, to get a Harrop shipped to you from they tell me. It might be the middle of fall or early winter when i get this done and running, hopefully sooner, but i thought it would have been done now...there are apparently forces at work that don't want me to finish any time soon.
Old 06-28-2009, 01:53 PM
LSX Mechanic

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

As stated above, you need to find someone who's going to spend a couple of days tuning your car. Not just one dyno session. Nailing down power, driveability, and reliability in a tune for a 454 build takes a little time. That motor needs to be street tuned also.

You have plenty of reputable shops on the east and west of you. Pick which one makes you feel more comfortable and roll with it.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Most people who have tuned a motor that is close to what you have put that tune in. Then make a few changes log a bit and ur done. People who do it lot and are good do not take alot of time. The problem is finding someone who is good. I have heard good and bad about most.

Find some one with a good rep and who has tuned a motor like the one you have. Getting the part throttle and idle down is the hardest. Make sure you ask if they will do that. Then after there done look at Idle and RMP around 1200 to 1600. That is the hard place to get it right.

All that said I think Frost - "Steve Williams" know his stuff.
Old 06-28-2009, 07:36 PM
10 Second Club

Geoff at EPS ------------------------------------------------------------------->

Quick Reply: No local tuners...who should i go to?