PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gm dealership couldnt flash pcm?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default gm dealership couldnt flash pcm?

I took my car in (six speed swap) to get the pcm reflashed, but the guy told me he couldn't do it with my VIN. I know the car had an hptuners tune on it before, but would that stop it from being reflashed?

I didn't want to spend 500 bucks on something that was so simple , and was told gm could do this. Any explanations, or is my car just too old?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your VIN comes up with an automatic program. You probably need to get a VIN from an identical year/model car with a T56 for them to use instead.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

Oh, I didn't know that. Could I just bring in a vin from a 98 six speed car, or would they not service my car like that?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You may still be stuck if its a locked HP tuners tune. check my thread a few posts down and see where they mentioned that even a tech II wont write over it...
Old 07-14-2009, 03:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
You may still be stuck if its a locked HP tuners tune. check my thread a few posts down and see where they mentioned that even a tech II wont write over it...
It's not a normal thing for a PCM to be locked. I would consider it shady to lock an older Fbody PCM...
Old 07-14-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree, but the VIN in the PCM shouldnt matter for a tech II, it should just write right over the existing tune. right?
Old 07-14-2009, 03:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The GM tech puts the car's VIN into the TechII it brings up a calibration for automatic.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right, but does the tech II care what PCM that VIN is flashed onto? how do they handle cars with dead PCM's?
Old 07-15-2009, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tricked-Out-Toy
I agree, but the VIN in the PCM shouldnt matter for a tech II, it should just write right over the existing tune. right?
How would I get it unlocked? The person before me did this, so would I have to buy hptuners just to unlock it?
Originally Posted by Frost
The GM tech puts the car's VIN into the TechII it brings up a calibration for automatic.
When I called him he said it would be "78.72" to reflash it, and he sounded pretty confident. When I took it down their to get it done he said he couldn't do it because of my VIN. He said I would probably have to pay a tuner, and I asked him why it wouldn't let him and he just said it was my VIN.
Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy a used pcm off ebay or something.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

when the gm technician uses Tech 2 they are carrying a 'SPS' they plug tech 2 into the car to gather the cars info to put a tune in... the way he needs to do it is just to program it through 'Pass Thru' not 'SPS' meaning he tells it what vin to put in and it will flash it. You vin doesnt state whether it is auto or manual. only who made it where and what body shape and engine along with year.

if it is locked with HP's or EFI Live then tech2 will not be able to program it
Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 AM
11 Second Club

If it has a "Custom" HP Tuners OS in the PCM it will not be recognized by the Tech 2.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:17 AM
12 Second Club

This happens all the time. Tell them to IGNORE THE VIN.
Get a vin for a 6 speed car of the same year etc

Father is recently retired service manager and I order parts all the time. If you give them the VIN number and it didnt come with the car you are LOOKING for trouble, most likely they will send you what belongs on the vehicle...
Old 07-16-2009, 12:13 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Doubledip
when the gm technician uses Tech 2 they are carrying a 'SPS' they plug tech 2 into the car to gather the cars info to put a tune in... the way he needs to do it is just to program it through 'Pass Thru' not 'SPS' meaning he tells it what vin to put in and it will flash it. You vin doesnt state whether it is auto or manual. only who made it where and what body shape and engine along with year.

if it is locked with HP's or EFI Live then tech2 will not be able to program it
X2. I see this waaaay too often.

Techs are used to doing updates with a Tech2 and nothing more.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
If it has a "Custom" HP Tuners OS in the PCM it will not be recognized by the Tech 2.
i doubt it has that.. when the tech said he couldnt do it with his vin it will 99% be because he is sucking the tune out with tech2 to carry out a SPS which is basically reading what is in the car (which willbe engine and trans - cause it is plugged in) and then going to PC to see if there are any new cals released by GM for that exact car

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
This happens all the time. Tell them to IGNORE THE VIN.
Get a vin for a 6 speed car of the same year etc

Father is recently retired service manager and I order parts all the time. If you give them the VIN number and it didnt come with the car you are LOOKING for trouble, most likely they will send you what belongs on the vehicle...
If his car is a factory style car (not a car with an LSX transplant) then you need to keep the VIN the same otherwise it will cause all sorts of headaches for other devices onboard. as i stated before the VIN doesnt say whether its manual or auto it is broken up into make model country year body shape and engine then just a sequential numbering system for each car.

if the tech was to just start at the PC without reading the car first then as he goes through the steps it will ask what VIN , he sticks the correct vin for your car then selects down the list whether its auto or manual and it will grab a manual tune
Old 07-16-2009, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This should not be that hard.

When using TIS, choose "pcm replacement" and regardless of the file in the pcm, (provided it is not locked, or custom OS from hpt that acts locked) the stock file for said vin will get programmed, and the vin number will be reprogrammed.

This can be done without having to go into passthrough mode, remote is fine.

Unfortunately, 90% of dealership techs do not know anythign other than teh basic "check for updates" method of using a tech2, This is why I am glad I have access to a tech2 and tis2000.

Ryan
Old 07-17-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets not bash GM techs here. We aren't idiots. Dealerships are not performance shops, so we don't do that kind of work. They probably don't want to be held reliable for any problems you may or may not have. We get too many dumbass people that try to blame every problem they have with some sort of repair we have done to their vehicle. If you want work like that done to your car take it to the right shop, not a dealership.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:19 AM
11 Second Club

+1
It is always funny how people on the internet are always better at diagnosing and fixing their cars than the dealer technicians. It pretty easy when you only have to worry about your one vehicle and not 20 different ones that have 20 computers each and 10 different model years.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
+1
It is always funny how people on the internet are always better at diagnosing and fixing their cars than the dealer technicians. It pretty easy when you only have to worry about your one vehicle and not 20 different ones that have 20 computers each and 10 different model years.
i hope it wasnt aimed at me as i work for GM and personally own all the tuning tools like hp's , TIS 2000 and tech2 etc... and program ECU's all the time.. so i feel i know enough about this question from the OP
Old 07-18-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Doubledip
i hope it wasnt aimed at me as i work for GM and personally own all the tuning tools like hp's , TIS 2000 and tech2 etc... and program ECU's all the time.. so i feel i know enough about this question from the OP
I don't think it was. He was just piggybacking off what was said in the post above.

Quick Reply: gm dealership couldnt flash pcm?