Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tuning for lightweight flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 09:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tuning for lightweight flywheel

so its new clutch time and im at the crossroads on which flywheel to go with. im really liking a aluminum one but i have a big cam car and im worried about the surging at idle due to not having alot of weight in the flywheel to help it idle.. anyone have lightweight flywheels with big cam cars and know how to get the surging tuned out? if tuning it out is not gonna be a problem then im gonna go for it but if this is going to be a big pain then im just gonna get a new stock one. thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If you have to ask, then yes, it might be a problem. A heavy flywheel only masks tuning or huge cam issues. If you know a good tuner or are confident in your own methodical ability to make small changes and verify the results, then it should NOT be a problem.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i ask because its something i have never heard anyone talk about. while i am no tuning guru i am competent enough to tune everything i have come across on my car. it may be no different than just tuning any other idle problem but i dont know that. it just seems strange that there are all kinds of threads on tuning idle problems but i have not forund any on lightweight flywheels.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

If you haven't had any other problems tuning for yourself, then you should be fine with this as well. At some point the terms "big cam" and "lightweight flywheel" become significant, but I doubt you are there yet.
edit--Think about how much your crank, rods, harmonic balance, and pistons weigh, then relate that to your difference in flywheel weight.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 233/239 cam and a lightweight dual disc clutch flywheel setup, Yea, idle may not be perfect, but it is not impossible.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 248/256 cam with an aluminum flywheel and I like it. I have always liked having to modulate the throttle a little on takeoff. Put a racing disc in it so slipping will not be a problem. Anything that makes it rev faster has to be good. Chuck

(hey racecar, I ordered a set of Hoosier race slicks. I have wanted to try them over the r6 dot tires for a long time)
Old 04-06-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Let me bring this dead thread back for a quick, related question:

Will the lightweight flywheel require a higher idle than a stock weight flywheel to avoid stalling? I know it requires a bit more rev to get going, but does the 10lb difference in rotating mass require a higher RPM when you put the clutch in to avoid bogging?

Quick Reply: tuning for lightweight flywheel