Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I asking too much of my tuner????

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Radcannon
I pretty much said all that. MAF's saturate at around 500 g/s give or take some. I corrected my above posting too if you read that you would see where I said that its probably a hyrbid SD tune because with 9's hes probably saturating the maf.
You said all that that's in the quote boxes, which is a bunch of rubbish.

How can a MAF tune be easier in a 3 bar application, when as you put it it "saturates"?
Old 07-25-2009, 01:23 PM
Banned

I said that in the earlier post. ST are immediate changes that with trends change LTM's. Depending on the PCM depends on weather or not it adjust the VE tables on a percentage basis. It depends how the programming was done. Must are percentage based.
Man, you talk in circles. Again, it doesn't change the VE table.

IF the cal table is bad because the wrong injector size is enabled the pcm won't know until it gets o2 sensor input and start correcting. Yes there are codes that can be set without going into closed loop though. We could go back and forth all day PCM's are different and we are talking about pretty much the same thing. I said I was wrong in my first post and corrected.
We are not talking about the same thing. You were talking about a failed maf not being recognized by the PCM because it's in open loop, which is rubbish.

Here you're talking about a cal being off because of the injector flow rate being wrong. That condition won't set a MAF code. It will set either a lean or rich condition code, if the trims have to move too far one way or the other (+/- 30%). THAT condition as you stated in the quote box above would HAVE to be in closed loop to set a fail code.

You should just stop.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive learned with tunes that its pretty tedious to get the tune just right. Ryne at CMS tuned my car with both setups.

The last setup. I was never all that happy with how it was running but I never had time to take it to him. He made a couple adjustments when I would see him at meets or cruises but its just wasnt perfect.

Now with my current setup he nailed it. I went from the stock shortblock to a Forged shortblock and went from a 226/232 113+2 cam to a 235/240 112+4. Bigger cam, 111 to a 108 ICL, made a little more power and picked up 38 rwtq from the smaller cam and teh car drives great.

Your combo sounds pretty mean!
Old 07-25-2009, 01:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok 3 bar maf not possible......... I said earlier it was a bad analogy. If you didn't get my point by saying it was probably and SD tune because the maf was saturated thats fine. I was just trying to get the picture across of how many rpm map points there are compared to a maf tune. Maf can be fine in some applications up to 7-10 psi depends on head and cam and so on.

You can be right all you want because there is no way in hell you can think the VE tables aren't biased due to LTM's. What do they store LTM fueling in a separate map speed table that controls fueling too haha. That the computer resets every key cycle? LOL there would be many blown up engines, haven't you ever looked at a logging software and seen LTM's were at a lower or higher value than their base value and it was automatically that when you got to the speed and load.... yes that indicates LTM's are stored within the PCM's memory but it doesn't start adjust VE values itself but yet learns LTM's for these VE so in a way it is modifying them it just doesn't have the power to change the base tune if it was reset by a temporary constant power loss. The car I just bought for one had the worst tune I ever saw and if LTM's weren't learned I am sure the guy would have blown it up at wot because its boosted and was running extremely lean and maxed out long terms. And was going into power enrich at about 138-142 when base was 128. haha if it didn't do that PE would have barely kept it stoich if that and it would have popped under 10 psi.

Its kind of funny how ppl naturally make assumptions that ppl are retarded. The PCM definitely wouldn't know if it was idling and the maf sensor said 0 or 400 g/s. It would just keep on running normal... Right haha that would set a code immediately high. High or low voltage the maf failed.

All you need to do man is get a good tuner. Tell him what you want that its a dd and pay a little more to get it good. Make sure to see if the maf is saturated or not. If it is there is no way for them to do a few wot runs and get it tuned in to run good because they won't be touching VE tables.

You can adjust VE tables if you want too and run it on SD but you need to make sure that the MAF is disabled in the tune. Do like 10-15 min of part throttle cruising and use some tool like datamasters to scan it. Record it all and VEmasters will be able to adjust your base VE tables according to LTM learning. You will have to load it into the program most likely depends on what you use. Ed said that HPtuners has one of these tools. If they do you can use it. Its just a long process.

Once the ltm's start settling in + or - 5 the less the better you can start pushing more throttle and getting into different VE's. You want to start low first and then progress. It sounds like you already have a good base tune for this. You could do it yourself because they got WOT done for you. So you can't really worry about blowing it up unless you start changing PE and other enriching tables. Just adjust your VE and you driveability will pick up greatly. Then you can adjust a good idle function and turn closed loop off when you are comfortable to help it idle better. Or keep it on and let the computer learn a little still. IF you turn it off you can bias lean and rich with it though.

Sorry for hijacking your thread. I hope you got helped though. Just know you should expect better

Last edited by Radcannon; 07-25-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:19 PM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Enough of all this crap, take the car over to the guys @ Virginia Speed and have the FNG tune her up.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:25 PM
Launching!

Do it yourself man. it will be much more rewarding you got a good base. And while some tuners might be able to get it running good not all of them know the logic behind the PCM. Its kind of hard to mess things up with hp tuners if you understand base engines and how to read their sensors.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 PM
Banned

Do it yourself man. it will be much more rewarding you got a good base. And while some tuners might be able to get it running good not all of them know the logic behind the PCM. Its kind of hard to mess things up with hp tuners if you understand base engines and how to read their sensors.
OMG now you're gonna try talking about code? You wouldn't know hex if I put one on you.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Haha ok turn it into that. Source code not hex code. It has no relevance anyway.

I am not going to even start anything. If thats all you had to comment about thats sad.

Good luck stonabones on your car.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha ok turn it into that. Source code not hex code. It has no relevance anyway.

I am not going to even start anything. If thats all you had to comment about thats sad.

Good luck stonabones on your car.
Dude you must be the coolest kid in the kindergarten.
You can hot up my scooter any time
Old 07-25-2009, 05:16 PM
Launching!

I sure am... I got a gold star on my report card.

Send me your scooter and I will start right on it.
Old 07-26-2009, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
You dont seem too far from us. Ill make you a deal. Leave it with us for 2 days and if it doesnt drive perfect you dont have to pay me for the tune. We have not come across a car yet that the customer hasnt been happy with the tune.
Seems like a pretty confident tuner... I just sent Frans96SS a PM to set up a tune... I'm hoping he is the guy I need... Has anyone on here had him tune your car?
Old 07-26-2009, 12:38 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for everyone’s information and some good advice... For those of you who suggested that I tune the car I'd have to say no way... I really don’t know anything about tuning. I just know it runs badly... I do own HP Tuners and EFI Live, but just the tuners have used them... Please, anyone out there who has any good advice on who should tune my car, I'D LOVE TO HEAR it....
Old 07-26-2009, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stonabones
Thanks for everyone’s information and some good advice... For those of you who suggested that I tune the car I'd have to say no way... I really don’t know anything about tuning. I just know it runs badly... I do own HP Tuners and EFI Live, but just the tuners have used them... Please, anyone out there who has any good advice on who should tune my car, I'D LOVE TO HEAR it....
Why would you own both, but not tune yourself? I'm not recommending that you do, just wondering why you would own both software suites and not be a do it yourselfer?

Anyways, why don't you start by sending your tune to some tuners for evaluation? You can email me @ edcmat-l1@msn.com, or ed@vaspeed.com.
Old 07-26-2009, 09:43 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ed knows what hes doing. I used to live up there and I know when he had his shop open there were vette guys that would have their car towed hundred of miles to get their car tuned by him and drive them right back without a problem and making big power. Driveability is not an issue with him. Now they flock to him at VA Speed, he's not all that far from you.......FNG to the rescue
Old 07-28-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Ed knows what hes doing. I used to live up there and I know when he had his shop open there were vette guys that would have their car towed hundred of miles to get their car tuned by him and drive them right back without a problem and making big power. Driveability is not an issue with him. Now they flock to him at VA Speed, he's not all that far from you.......FNG to the rescue
I am just curious why he has to have such a attitude about disagreeing with somebody else's post. That alone would be enough for me to take my business somewhere else.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Exeodus
I am just curious why he has to have such a attitude about disagreeing with somebody else's post. That alone would be enough for me to take my business somewhere else.
Seeing bad info posted as truth really strikes a nerve with a lot of people, but tuners really hate it.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
Seeing bad info posted as truth really strikes a nerve with a lot of people, but tuners really hate it.
I would say that's it. But if you knew Ed, you could listen to him saying what he posts and it's really not an attitude. It's his 'splainin voice
Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1
Why would you own both, but not tune yourself? I'm not recommending that you do, just wondering why you would own both software suites and not be a do it yourselfer?

Anyways, why don't you start by sending your tune to some tuners for evaluation? You can email me @ edcmat-l1@msn.com, or ed@vaspeed.com.
Ed, I'll get you a copy of the tune and send it off for your evaluation... It'll be a few days though... I'll be in touch. If I did take the car down to you , how long would you need to have the car?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by edcmat-l1

My friend who helps me build the car thought that we might start playing with the tune ourselves... So we first bought HP Tuners because we heard it was the best... Then we heard EFI Live was the best so we bought that on also... Needless to say, we haven’t used either... What I’m looking for is a no nonsense profession, experience tuner just give me the best tune for my car... There is no substitute for knowledge and experience... All I have to do is to find the best... Any thoughts?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Frans96SS
You dont seem too far from us. Ill make you a deal. Leave it with us for 2 days and if it doesnt drive perfect you dont have to pay me for the tune. We have not come across a car yet that the customer hasnt been happy with the tune.

I sent you a PM but havent heard back. If your tuning offer still stands, I'd like to take you up on you offer... Please let me know if your still offering... Kyle

Quick Reply: Am I asking too much of my tuner????