Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning 383 LT1 - need someone with a similar setup for a starting point

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tuning 383 LT1 - need someone with a similar setup for a starting point

So I'm looking for a tune from someone with a similar setup.

My setup consists of:
-383 LT1
-11.8:1 compression
-AFR eliminator 195's
-236/242, .601/.601, 109LSA +4
-ported edelbrock, twin 58
-stepped kooks
-Racetronix (Lucas/Delphi) 42# injectors

I'm using OBD2 tunercats and wester's datalogger. A tunercat (.cal) format would be most convenient, but I'll take anything I can get to make the starting tune as close as possible.

........ARE THERE ANY SIMILAR SETUPS OUT THERE WILLING TO SHARE THEIR MAIN VE AND TIMING TABLES?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Josh
Old 08-10-2009, 11:39 PM
Launching!

geeze, nothing?
Old 08-11-2009, 12:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one but it's the OBD1 tunercats file. It for a 94 firebird. The only difference is this tune is for the SVO 30 injectors but that is easy to change
Old 08-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll sell ya one. I've done a bunch of 383 LT1s.
Old 08-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Launching!

I don't have any .cal files for an LT1 (all of mine are .bin/.lt1 and are on a different laptop). If you have the ability to open .bin or .lt1 files, you can probably find something close here:

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/lt1edit/lt1files.htm
Old 08-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Launching!

I have one but it's the OBD1 tunercats file. It for a 94 firebird. The only difference is this tune is for the SVO 30 injectors but that is easy to change
I don't think the OBD2 Tuner software is compatible with the OBD1 format files, but I'd be happy to try. I'd also accept whatever you have the patience to copy/paste into an excel sheet or similar....up to you and how generous you feel I suppose. 'Preciate the offer. Got more details on your particular setup?

I'll sell ya one. I've done a bunch of 383 LT1s
What do you charge? I'm sorta skeptical of a "mailorder" style tune for something that's not exactly a typical bolt-on or common cam setup.....but I'll try anything if the price is right.

I don't have any .cal files for an LT1 (all of mine are .bin/.lt1 and are on a different laptop). If you have the ability to open .bin or .lt1 files, you can probably find something close here:

http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/lt1edit/lt1files.htm
I actually ran across this site a while back and should've bookmarked it. I dunno how I'll get the info from non-tunercat files (I know the HPT and Efilive formats aren't just glorified txt-based files I can open with notepad and extract data....tried that already), but I'll give this a look again when I get home.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by beast69camaro
What do you charge? I'm sorta skeptical of a "mailorder" style tune for something that's not exactly a typical bolt-on or common cam setup.....but I'll try anything if the price is right.
So your skeptical of a tune from someone who's tuned probably hundreds of LT1s, but you'll take a freebee from someone else who may or may not have tuned more than their own? What's the chances of finding someone with your "exact" setup, and with a good cal file that will work in yours? Just sayin.........
Old 08-11-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

To me it sounds like he wants a starting point to get the car to run so he can tune it himself versus paying out the nose for a professional to do it.

I'm kinda in the same boat, I have a BS3 BBC that I don't necessarily want to tune, but I want something close so I can at least start it and fix any glaring issues before I give it to a tuner to go through.

In DFW for a BS3 tune from scratch it's around $800 not including any wiring or modifications needed to get it to run. If everything works and they just have to tune it on the dyno/street it's only $500. I would rather do as much work myself and be sure it runs before I give it to them then have to pay an extra $300 for something I could have done on my own.

That's just my take on the situation maybe I'm off base on what he's looking for.
Old 08-11-2009, 03:47 PM
Launching!

So your skeptical of a tune from someone who's tuned probably hundreds of LT1s, but you'll take a freebee from someone else who may or may not have tuned more than their own? What's the chances of finding someone with your "exact" setup, and with a good cal file that will work in yours? Just sayin.........
....I'm just looking for a decent enough baseline to get me tuning the thing myself, without spending a whole lot of time creating the baseline from scratch. (it just seems easier to change an existing baseline than starting with nothing). I am not trying to discredit your abilities; I'm sure you'd provide a nice tune. I guess I'm just the proud type trying to maximize the DIY factor.

To that end, I suppose skepticism isn't really an issue since I'm not looking for a final product from anyone anyway....so, my apologies for even mentioning it. That said, I may still be interested. What do you charge?

ha...ulakovic22, you beat me to it. No disrespect to anyone
Old 08-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Banned

What are you using for data logging?

It ain't real hard to come up with a base tune to start from.

What's you combo? The whole package. You can email me @ edcmat-l1@msn.com. Or PM me.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

With the Winflash program open hit Alt/ Ctrl/ T at the same time. This will open a hidden test feature in Winflash. You will notice a test Tab appear in the Winflash panel. Click on that and then select Save FLASH image. Read your pcm and save the file, it should end up in .bin format.

Quick Reply: Tuning 383 LT1 - need someone with a similar setup for a starting point