Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Timer .. HPT

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First Timer .. HPT

So I am going to give it this week to see if I can (with ya'lls help) create a idle and maybe a drive to the shop level tune before getting my car tuned in 2 weeks.

Here are my questions, I have the tune pulled and converted it to 2 bar SD. I think all of that is right, I know i need to change the VE table, although I have no idea where to start.

I also know i need to change my injector flow rate table but the link in the sticky is broken so I don't know what value to set it at for 60's with stock fuel pressure 58psi.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, so I attached my tune thus far, trying to remove the MAF error codes where it wont be hooked up, also I attached a jpeg screen shot of an Excel file I found to show the injector scaling but the numbers seem off to me .. seems really low across the board let me know what you think.

Why is this such a secret? Why dont people just post up what your Flow rate vs Kpa table should look like for each size injector?
Attached Thumbnails First Timer .. HPT-injector-scaling.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
2001ssSD!air!egr!MAF.hpt (453.9 KB, 82 views)
Old 09-14-2009, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone, do these numbers look right for the fuel table? Or correct numbers to scale 60's
Old 09-14-2009, 07:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Super Slow SS

Why is this such a secret? Why dont people just post up what your Flow rate vs Kpa table should look like for each size injector?
I used that same excel file on my SVO 30# injectors. Everything works fine.

But I agree with you, why are injector offsets, minimum pulsewidths, etc a guarded secret?
Old 09-14-2009, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright if its taboo, then im in trouble but according to the chart I changed the entire IFR table to 8.73, moving on I dont really understand the VE table .. mostly because i dont understand how the engine can be at a positive (+) Kpa number and be in vacuum. So where do I start to adjust that .. anyone have a go from chart I can load?
Old 09-14-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Flow rate isn't the secret part. Every injector flow a little different that's why it's best to get a set that has been flow matched with the flow data so you can scale accordingly.
Originally Posted by jetlag

But I agree with you, why are injector offsets, minimum pulsewidths, etc a guarded secret?
Having all the right values just makes for a better overall tune. You could just tune your 30s with AFR error on all stock injector values and with closed loop correction it would be better than some tunes you pay professionals for. But the PCM has a harder time correcting fuel output if it doesn't know what the injector is gonna do. So, the greater swing in weather conditions makes for worse correction factors in areas where there isn't any O2 feedback.

Alright if its taboo, then im in trouble but according to the chart I changed the entire IFR table to 8.73, moving on I dont really understand the VE table .. mostly because i dont understand how the engine can be at a positive (+) Kpa number and be in vacuum. So where do I start to adjust that .. anyone have a go from chart I can load?
The guys that take the time to build injector data don't want to just give it away (usually). I mean do you work for free? And the guys that have acquired it by other means don't want to be stoned for giving away some one else hard earned data.

The info you have means nothing and probably isn't even correct so no one will care.

As far as the VE tuning you do understand tuning by AFR error%? It's almost too easy.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z

As far as the VE tuning you do understand tuning by AFR error%? It's almost too easy.
I do understand that but i dont understand how to get a start on the table to log AFT and adjust between commanded and actual via the gauge. Right now my VE table is flat.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Right now my VE table is flat.
Just put a nice slope on it and make sure your timing is safely low. And use the RTT function.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 430 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by jetlag

Injector offsets, minimum PW, etc., are highly voltage dependent. The larger injectors (which are the only ones you need to modify) can have significant differences from one injector to another (unless properly matched) and from car to car. Also, FP can magnify any problems with any of these tables. It is just best to experiment until you reach the proper values for YOUR car. The "proper" tables straight from the manufacturer might not be "plug'n'play". If we only tuned within "specs", then tuning a stock car would always result in a 0 HP gain.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gametech
Injector offsets, minimum PW, etc., are highly voltage dependent. The larger injectors (which are the only ones you need to modify) can have significant differences from one injector to another (unless properly matched) and from car to car. Also, FP can magnify any problems with any of these tables. It is just best to experiment until you reach the proper values for YOUR car. The "proper" tables straight from the manufacturer might not be "plug'n'play". If we only tuned within "specs", then tuning a stock car would always result in a 0 HP gain.
I understand this for fine tuning, but thats not whats so guarded, I think anyone that can or wants to tune knows that there are differences between cars and there is no plug and play for any table, the problem is the base "where to start" from info is so fort knox around here.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Alright .. I got it started! can attach the tune if needed but I want to get a few things straight first. As I understand it 0psi or out of vacuum is about 100kPa right? So I am having a hard time figuring out how to reference the 0-100kPa numbers to a set amount of vacuum, so I can get my idle where I need it AFR wise. Right now its in the high 16's at idle at -16vac I know how to adjust it and I can do the conversion once it gets into boost I just don't understand how to figure vac .. any help?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Are you not logging MAP kPa?
Old 09-28-2009, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z
Are you not logging MAP kPa?
I didn't start the scanner when I had it plugged in last night I am trying to make some adjustments from the laptop now, I wont get back to the car until wed. night.

But when im there I dont have internet access so im trying to learn everything I can about my problems now so I can apply it when im there.

Also, what table to I need to be sure to adjust for low (10) timing while logging to be sure not to screw anything up when it first comes into boost?
Old 09-28-2009, 03:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you watched the greg banich dvd? lots of good stuff there. I have one for sale if you would like to purchase it pm me.