Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Camaro Z28 - stock LS1 trouble

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 69 Ghost
Your problem may have been K&N related. Did you start having problems after cleaning it? If so you probably put too much oil on it and it got on the MAF possibly causing it to fail. Do a search on failed MAF's and K&N. You will find postings all over the place.
The car started acting up a bit before I cleaned it, but over time it did get worse after I cleaned the filter. It wasn't sudden, or I would have been suspicious.

Originally Posted by JDMC5
Come to think of it you already had the answer, if you are scanning with the MAF disconnected and you see ltft's and stft's compensating, then..........hello.
Not sure what you mean here. I guess if I would have known to watch them then maybe I would have seen something interesting... but as soon as I drove the car after it threw codes for the MAF (2 minutes of driving) it started acting better, so I don't know what it would have told me exactly.

Also, without the wideband I don't have the ability to check my A/F ratio. How safe do you think it is to go into WOT with the MAF disconnected?

Originally Posted by JDMC5
Anyways, if you don't plan on replacing/ cleaning your maf anytime soon then this is what I would recommend. I'm sure you've noticed the service engine soon light is on.....save a copy of your current bin and store it away. Then, scan for the codes, they should all be maf related....delete them in the editor and reflash your computer, your SES light should be gone now. Now, while scanning make sure your WOT timing is the same as it was with the maf connected, make sure your trans shifts the same as before and not super hard (even at part throttle) and check out your fuel trims to see how close to 0 they are. BTW, you should reset them since they will be different without the maf. You could go as far as running a MAFless intake setup which could potentially free up more horsepower but thats completely up to you.
The codes are definitely all MAF related, yeah. You mention reflashing the computer, I think that will reset the LTFTs but will it cause the light to stay off? I don't need to worry about the tranny shifting, it's a stick (never understood why someone would by a 300+ stock hp car and dog it down with an auto ). You think the spark timing should be the same? And as far as running a MAFless intake, I think I'd need a wideband to tune it, correct?

Thanks so much for the help, man!
Old 10-07-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, well either buy a new maf or do what you need to run SD.

You mention reflashing the computer, I think that will reset the LTFTs but will it cause the light to stay off?
I didn't say clear the trouble codes, I said go into the editor and set the code so it doesn't report a problem or show a SES light.....otherwise its just going to keep coming back after you clear it.

You think the spark timing should be the same?
Your timing should be the same and fine, I just said check to be sure.

Also, without the wideband I don't have the ability to check my A/F ratio. How safe do you think it is to go into WOT with the MAF disconnected?
Yes, its ok to run WOT in SD mode. You should always use a wideband when tuning a/f ratio regardless in my opinion, but it should be fine where it's at, it may even run a little leaner than your stock tune and run a little stronger and smoother.

And as far as running a MAFless intake, I think I'd need a wideband to tune it, correct?
your air box is going to have almost no impact on your SD tuning.
I don't need to worry about the tranny shifting, it's a stick (never understood why someone would by a 300+ stock hp car and dog it down with an auto
hey now this isn't YOUTUBE, you are aware an auto will usually beat a manual, stock for stock, from a dead stop right? My automatic vette with 2.73 gears ran a 12.98@109 with an intake and a quiet catback, the car drove itself. Oh yeah, my buddy's automatic 00 camaro with an intake and a blowmaster muffler ran a 12.80@108.88.

Last edited by JDMC5; 10-07-2009 at 01:55 PM.

Quick Reply: 2000 Camaro Z28 - stock LS1 trouble