Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PO121 code after LQ4 swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 08:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PO121 code after LQ4 swap

The car was dyno tuned last week and retweaked by the tuner yesterday.

After about 60 miles of driving my SES light comes on.
It gives me the PO121 code, TPS. Well I changed the tps last thursday cleared the code. The ses came back on saturday and I didnt really worry about it because I was taking it back to the tuner on monday.

Driving home today the ses comes back on with the same code.

I cant figure it out, any ideas?
Old 02-09-2022, 10:34 AM
Teching In

You have the exact same problem and situation as me. All my sensors are new and all the voltages coming from the tps and map are correct. The code comes and goes frequently but it is still annoying.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:38 AM
9 Second Club

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

Tune and/or TPS needs to be adjusted.
Old 02-09-2022, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by minytrker
Tune and/or TPS needs to be adjusted.
My engine was tuned almost two years ago, and the engine ran great. This problem only started recently. I replaced the tps sensor for a second time just to ensure it was not the problem.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:37 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by sevus
My engine was tuned almost two years ago, and the engine ran great. This problem only started recently. I replaced the tps sensor for a second time just to ensure it was not the problem.

I was replying to the original person being he just got it tuned.

On yours I would carefully check your grounds and harness really well to make sure something isnt back feeding your TPS signal.
Old 02-09-2022, 03:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

On yours I would carefully check your grounds and harness really well to make sure something isn't back feeding your TPS signal.
The original post was from 2009.
Old 02-09-2022, 11:29 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by G Atsma
The original post was from 2009.
I didnt even catch that they bumped an old thread
Old 02-10-2022, 01:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

I didnt even catch that they bumped an old thread
It happens a LOT here...
Old 02-11-2022, 11:21 AM
Teching In

On yours I would carefully check your grounds and harness really well to make sure something isnt back feeding your TPS signal.
I checked everything I could wire wise, including shaking the f*** out of the harness at different points.

Originally Posted by G Atsma
It happens a LOT here...
I've searched the whole internet for this problem dawg. Everyone's problem is either a bad tps or they just got their engine tuned.

On AllData, it says a bad map sensor can trigger this code but, the map is working as it should. I keep a scanner plugged in as I drive to monitor the graphs but, nothing that I can see is messing up.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by sevus
I checked everything I could wire wise, including shaking the f*** out of the harness at different points.

I've searched the whole internet for this problem dawg. Everyone's problem is either a bad tps or they just got their engine tuned.

On AllData, it says a bad map sensor can trigger this code but, the map is working as it should. I keep a scanner plugged in as I drive to monitor the graphs but, nothing that I can see is messing up.
Okay, so staying fact based here...

1. Your TPS is in fact working and registering the appropriate voltages.
2. Your car is (assuming) running perfectly fine.
3. You have this code for no apparent reason and your TPS voltage is below 0.7 volts at idle.

With the above facts, my next step is... Go into the tune, then:

1. Go to > Engine Diag > Airflow
2. Set the P121 test to 0 and 100 appropriately

End task.

Option 2:

Go to the actual code under engine diag and set to "No error reported" since your cable anyway and it doesn't f'n matter and move on with life.

Either is appropriate really. Both should satisfy removing the annoying light. To me, you kind of have to resolve this to save the light for real problems like a MAF fail, O2 fails, knock, and other real issues that will actually cause damage.

Case in point, this code is nothing to a cable car, because it's a damn cable determining the actual throttle position. If it is providing accurate voltage and percents from 0 to 100, and some wonky number in some calculation somewhere is throwing this code, you are fine. Just get rid of the stupid code because it is not actually harmful to your motor. Different story completely if you are on a DBW TB. But cable? Nope. Just an issue for an automatic transmission if the numbers are janky. It's about the only problem that code can cause in reality for a cable car. That and PE entry. Also an issue. That said, if the numbers are good, like stated before, the code is bogus.

Last edited by ChopperDoc; 02-12-2022 at 02:05 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 01:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts

*Note: If you go with option 2 above, you will NOT get an CEL/SES light if the TPS sensor ***** the bed. You will however get weird shifting, and bad AFRs in PE (if it even enters PE). If this occurs, you should already know to investigate the TPS sensor knowing that it is disabled and will affect both of those things. Having said this, option 1 is the best course of action, provided it works for you. If not, you just need to accept that you won't have TPS fail detection and you have to know the symptoms of said failure. #justmechainic/tunerthings

Last edited by ChopperDoc; 02-12-2022 at 02:07 AM.

Quick Reply: PO121 code after LQ4 swap