PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L92 VVT e38 cam swap tune with a t56?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats! Are you running open headers? I fired mine up a while back and it takes about five seconds for all 8 to kick in but runs fine once they do. It sounds completely different than my LS1, in a very good way! I'm hoping once I get the tune sorted out it'll fire normally but we'll see. I got a mail order tune from Geoff at EPS and he didn't even know about not being able to disable VATS. I had to take it to a local guy with HP Tuners and after a little playing around it fired off.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:10 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

No through full exhaust. The car is done aside from a couple of minor things now. I still have to fab up my 4" MAF/intake assembly and remove and wrap the harness. Right now I have the stock Escalade MAF clamped right onto the throttle body just for test firing etc.

But yes it does sound quite different than my LS1 did. A lot more THUD is how I would describe it. I havent had time to play with the tune anymore today but maybe tomorrow
Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I agree, it has the same cackle but hits harder. If it were from a stereo I'd say it's like listening to the same music with a 10" sub vs a 15" sub, same notes but more punch! I drove mine around a little bit and even with a crap tune you can tell it has a TON of low end power. I could practically dump the clutch at idle and have it just take off. Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a running L92 swap on the stock ecu.

If you want to go to a different MAF you can run the LS7 "credit card" style if you swap the pins around. I forget where they go off the top of my head but it's pretty simple and lets you run just about any intake setup you want.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:21 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Hahaha Im literally on GM part direct ordering the LS7 card now. Im trying to find the cheapest source for the MAF bung though. I found a spectre MAF housing for the LS7 card for $32 at Summit but its already welded into a pipe. I just want the bung but so far 45 bucks is the best deal ive found and that is insultingly pricey considering the MAF card itself is only 50 bucks.

**EDIT** I found a PN for the bung through GMparts direct

Bung: PN 19166574 and it runs $9.27
LS7 MAF PN: 15865791 and its $55.52

Last edited by cam; 10-24-2011 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Found it!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:41 PM
On The Tree

There ya go, if I'd been quicker I would have told you it's under $10 from GM. Glad you found it! I'm using a 4" pipe for an intake, flows great but expect to have to change your air flow tables a lot, mine needed about 8% more fuel before it would even start.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Yes tuning this biatch is already proving fun. I did discover over at HP's forum that in most swap cases they require the file to modify fo the VATS patch to work successfully. Even though mine runs apparently it will shut down after 3 minutes of driving then need to be flashed off again. I guess thats life when your stuck with a beta platform. Overall these e38 genIV systems are a much bigger PITFA than the LS1 stuff was.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
9 Second Club

LOL, they have A LOT better table resolution and are more in depth to tune for sure! Cool build tho and kudos for keeping the vvt. Im with ya on that one.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:47 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

To update this thread for any future searchers. I solved all the gremlins. The alternator issue is still a bit weird in that it takes a minute or three for the PCM to "excite" the alternator but it does work fine and doesnt pull any codes so a small bump to live with. The VATS issue turned out to be my fault as I had the one feed for the ECM power to 12v+BAT when it was supposed to be 12V+IGN. An easy oversight considering the looooong hours and late nights I was putting in to get this thing done so thats all good. The VSS proved to be quite a challenge as did the torque management but long story short the good news is Chris at HP wrote me some new code that fixed up my issues and no more 4000 RPM mystery fuel cut. They will be adding these to future versions of HP so keep your eyes open. I was impressed with the customer service on that truthfully as it had a lot of people scratching their heads over. Ive noticed a lot of L92/LY6 swappers who want to run a non supported oem transmission have their speedo peg at 158 mph but mine does not so hopefully whatever they figured out will also help you guys.

As for the VVT tuning itself? So far it actually seems to be a lot simpler than I had first feared. I havent yet been to a dyno to verify my tweaks but seeing as they are calling for snow tonight? It may just have to wait until spring. Im still waiting on my MAF card and bung anyways so its not completely dyno ready yet so I will update with all that info once Im done.

So far, so good
Old 11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Glad to hear you got it at least mostly sorted out now. I'll have mine on the dyno probably tomorrow and let you know how it goes. No issues yet other than the odd startup on mine but we'll see when I actually start driving it around.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:43 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RWDCelicadude
Glad to hear you got it at least mostly sorted out now. I'll have mine on the dyno probably tomorrow and let you know how it goes. No issues yet other than the odd startup on mine but we'll see when I actually start driving it around.
Nice! What cam are you running? lift/dur?
Old 11-17-2011, 02:57 PM
On The Tree

Everything internal is stock except for the valve springs, I just have long tubes, a good intake and an underdrive pulley.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:04 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Ahh that'll be a piece of cake to dial in. FWIW mine seems to LOVE ign timing ( compared to stock tables that is ) and the VVT cam phasing curve is way out of whack for power production so make sure the tuner takes a look at those especially down low in the RPM's they are WAY out of place for power. I posted a samle of my timing curve in the thread linked below but ive changed it more since with seat of the pants approval but until I hit the dyno and start real testing its just guesstimation at this stage

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...t-cams-11.html
Old 11-17-2011, 06:03 PM
On The Tree

I would have thought it would be a piece of cake but it won't get over 45% throttle and A/F ratio is all over the place, sometimes rich, sometimes lean without any changes being made. I'm off to do a bunch of research tonight and hope we can make more progress tomorrow.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:06 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Hmm are you O2's working well? The throttle might be torque management related make sure you have all your limiters and whatnot dialed out.

These gen IV's are tricky
Old 11-17-2011, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

I'll check torque management tomorrow and see if that's the culprit. It'll get 90% or so if you just goose it from an idle but as soon as you try to roll on the throttle it shuts down to 45%. I'm going through the other thread right now too so I'll check my timing stuff against yours.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:37 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Post up your results even stock these 6.2's rock
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cam
The VSS proved to be quite a challenge as did the torque management but long story short the good news is Chris at HP wrote me some new code that fixed up my issues and no more 4000 RPM mystery fuel cut. They will be adding these to future versions of HP so keep your eyes open. I was impressed with the customer service on that truthfully as it had a lot of people scratching their heads over. Ive noticed a lot of L92/LY6 swappers who want to run a non supported oem transmission have their speedo peg at 158 mph but mine does not so hopefully whatever they figured out will also help you
So are you saying HPtuners will be able to program a E38 to run both VVT and a direct VSS feed?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:25 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
So are you saying HPtuners will be able to program a E38 to run both VVT and a direct VSS feed?
Yep thats exactly Im saying
Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sweet.. I've been following your build and all your treads and this is great news. I'd appreciate any more info you have on this as I'm at a point of ordering my ECM.
Old 06-23-2012, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

So, what's transpired since last Nov?????

Quick Reply: L92 VVT e38 cam swap tune with a t56?