PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner Vs. EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of the modified tunes on Holdencrazy I wouldnt put in a lawnmower. There is a fair bit of table raping to get the things to run, which would just set the tuner back when it came time to do the job properly.
While not having any dealings with Frost, the general consensus is that he gives out a top quality product, and he will work with you to get the tune sorted if you had any issues. Send him a pm.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

baddbird99,

That sounds like a good plan (get a tune from Frost).

Regarding which software would work better:
- HPTuners users will say HPTuners works better,
- EFILive users will say EFILive works better,

You will have to get demo versions of each and try them out for yourself...

Go to HPT for demo software.

Go here for EFILive software (this is the actual software).
Old 03-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Cool thanks guys
Old 03-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by joecar
baddbird99,

That sounds like a good plan (get a tune from Frost).

Regarding which software would work better:
- HPTuners users will say HPTuners works better,
- EFILive users will say EFILive works better,

You will have to get demo versions of each and try them out for yourself...

Go to HPT for demo software.

Go here for EFILive software (this is the actual software).
I have both programs and had great help from both sides so to me I think both programs are great.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:09 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like HPT has a black box to me

What does the MPVI Pro interface allow me to do over the Standard Version?
With our Pro interface, you can integrate 0-5v signals from various sensors such as EGT, Wide Band, fuel pressure and others right into our scanner. You will have real time data from those sensors right next to your standard scan tool data such as TPS, RPM, MPH, etc.

Our MPVI Pro interface also has black box data datalogging of up to 1hr 30mins built in. What this means is you are able to scan your vehicle without the use of a laptop using the interfaces record button. You can then take the interface into your home to transfer the log contents from the interface to the computer. If you have an MPVI Pro it will require no hardware modification. Also note that VCM Scanner comes with both interfaces regardless as it is part of our VCM Suite package.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2924
Old 03-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres

So they finally copied that feature, when are they going to get around to copying EFI's removable SD card feature on their black box logging?
Old 03-30-2010, 07:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by poconojoe
So they finally copied that feature, when are they going to get around to copying EFI's removable SD card feature on their black box logging?
Copied lol. EFi live TOTALLY invented data logging boxes!!1!1!!!!
Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is where it becomes a argument and gets locked.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninetres

Big difference in how each does theirs. HPT is a generation behind EFI LIVE. The HPT MPVI PRO hold only a few thousand kB of data making it useless for anything other than a couple of drag passes. The EFI LIVE V2 holds a couple of GB with an SD card installed allowing it record for days if required. Plus the V2 is active in that you can see the data on the device while your recording and have it set up so it will show visual and or audible alarms for set conditions (ie excessive KR, lean condition etc).

Really as far as stand alone capability's go it is a joke to even consider arguing a comparison.
Old 03-31-2010, 02:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
This is where it becomes a argument and gets locked.
And your illogical reason for making such an statement? I only ask a question. Of course I should need to ask you, since I've seen some of your other posts, I guess you just needed to get your PPDA up
Old 03-31-2010, 06:12 AM
TECH Resident

Other than a few digs, this thread is a great first encounter with a side by side comparison of these two tuning suites. I truly hope the moderator is patient and gives some time for this to play out.

What would be confusing to someone that has neither package would be the differences between the versions. Comparing HPT basic version to EFI's V2 isn't apples to apples as was done earlier in the pics. If you put the EFI Live V1 cable along side the HPT hardware you will come away with a different opinion. I own and operate the EFI Live V1 so I'm biased, but I want to know all I can about both versions of HP Tuners and understand why it has the majority of fanfare on this forum. Because I'm most often exposed to the EFI Live gurus I tend to think they are the smartest people on earth. This is my (and others) first chance to catch an up to date comparo on a level playing field.

Last edited by 01Z28M6; 03-31-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 03-31-2010, 09:35 AM
FormerVendor

It was available like 4 years ago... Really.

I have EFIL V2. on the way in the mail right now.

I can flatly tell you why I went the HPTuner's road.... COST. The quality of the calibration, for the most part, will come from the tuner, not the software. To explain my statement...

HPTuner's Pro $650 and comes with enough credits to tune four cars out of the box. 22 more credits ($1100) unlocks GenIII cars. Now, here's the thing... If you don't want to shell out the $1100 + 650 at once, you can buy single-vehicle licenses that carry over at 80% value and will unlock the GenIII group all together.

With EFIL V2 it's $800 and comes with enough licensing to tune two cars out of the box. Their cables is more advanced from the standpoint of stand alone logging but needs a $200 license and $600 Roadrunner to get real time tuning. The HPTuner's cable and software support reals time VE and spark tuning with the stock PCM (all I need RTT for). The VIN licenses for EFILIve carry over at 80% towards unlocking the GenIII group (same as HPT) but only up to HALF of the cost of the stream, which is double the HPT cost for GenIII because they wrapped up trucks in it. That means that even after I charge each customer the extra $100, I will still get to a point where I have to pay about $1300 out to unlock the GenIII group (stream).

When I started, I didn't have the $$ behind that me big shops and guys running off of bank loans have and the layout cost is about double. I tune GenIII cars about 80% of the time. That's what drove my choice.

So why do I have V2 coming myself? I don't like 98s. I can help them move over to a newer PCM and I can do the segment swap to fix the fuel gauge myself. Yes, as an HPTuner's owner I can send the files to their support to have swapped but they are busy too and my customers are impatient. After the fuel gauge is fixed, the owners then, understandably want the VIN in the PCM to match their 1998 car. I can't do that with HPTuner's even through support. They use and stick to a GM standard and the relationship between VIN and OS can't be broken on their platform.

Last edited by Frost; 03-31-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:13 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have both sitting in the shop and when given the choice, it is EFI Live every time. The only reason we have HP Tuners is to tune the cars not supported by EFI Live.

I personally like EFI Live because of the link from the scan tool and the tune. This is invaluable when you are doing development and figuring out why the values are being used.

I like Steve have requested various tables be opened up with HP tuners with no luck. The fuel trims are one, but another huge one is the Ethanol spark adder table. If you have a flex fuel GM vehicle, there is a table that actually adds or retards spark based on cyl air, not just fuel enrich!!!! And, you will find in this magical table the spark being pulled 3 degrees under cruising conditions!!!!!! Yep, the theory is oxygenated fuels will preignite easier, so, GM pulls timing under cruising.

Anywho, if anyone would like to purchase EFI Live, I am a dealer.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:21 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines

I like Steve have requested various tables be opened up with HP tuners with no luck. .....
Check this out
http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28643

oh yah and this:

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28498
Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And your illogical reason for making such an statement? I only ask a question. Of course I should need to ask you, since I've seen some of your other posts, I guess you just needed to get your PPDA up
Yes you are right. I was just pointing out that comments like that are when the thread starts to get into bashing and the thread gets locked. I am sorry i do not know everything about cars, but you apparently do so cheers to you.

So far this thread has provided very good info for both EFI and HPT.

Last edited by MUSTANGBRKR02; 03-31-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HPT is a generation behind EFI LIVE. The HPT MPVI PRO hold only a few thousand kB of data making it useless for anything other than a couple of drag passes.
I respectfully disagree, our interface can hold up to roughly 1hr 30 minutes of data depending on the frame rate used and can store up to 32 separate logs so thats more than a couple of drag passes.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:25 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MUSTANGBRKR02
Yes you are right. I was just pointing out that comments like that are when the thread starts to get into bashing and the thread gets locked. I am sorry i do not know everything about cars, but you apparently do so cheers to you.

So far this thread has provided very good info for both EFI and HPT.
I guess your reading comprehension skills don't allow you to differentiate between a comment and a question, plus you were the less then intelligent one, making the statement, asking for the thread to be locked.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
I respectfully disagree, our interface can hold up to roughly 1hr 30 minutes of data depending on the frame rate used and can store up to 32 separate logs so thats more than a couple of drag passes.
Ok E38, 40fps, max PIDS. Hour and Half my ****. Do that with a V2 and it can still log for days and there is no limit to the amount of stored log files.

Bill you can disagree all you like, but the facts are the MPVI PRO doesn't come anywhere close to the V2 as a hardware module. Excusing the massive memory difference. There is also digital comms to make offset errors non existent (lost count how many people have this issue with 5v WB's). Thermocouple inputs (critical for FI and Diesel Tuning). Switch inputs (handy for NOS trigger monitoring). And most useful of all is the LCD screen and keypad. I've used my V2 many times for simple scanning and clearing of DTC's. The audible alarms are a godsend too. If I have a lean condition it screams its head off alerting me to get off the gas before I break an engine. Pulling and very soon Flashing of tunes will be great for Mail Order Tuning and even just convenience when getting a customers car or just flashing in a pre configured small change.

The MPVI PRO does none of these. Hence it is a generation behind.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines

I like Steve have requested various tables be opened up with HP tuners with no luck.
I would disagree. On more than one occasion, I've asked for, and had tables added, in a very reasonable amount of time. I guess you just gotta ask pretty please!!

Originally Posted by Frost
Matter of fact, I can take credit for this one ^^^. And, this particular set of parameters that I asked for will help ALL TUNERS.

Now, that being said, I have and use both HPT and EFIlive. BOTH are good tools. BOTH will accomplish virtually the same end result. As Steve stated regarding the VIN licensing, HPT has a much cheaper route over the long haul. Plus the RTT without the need of a RR.

There are pros and cons to both tools. But, to say HPT doesn't work with people to add tables or parameters, from my experience is just wrong.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default EFILive now has a new feature...

As of two days ago EFILive posted firmware for standalone flashing...

Code:
Standalone support for FlashScan V2 as of March 30, 2010

ECU  Description     Logging Reading Flashing
LS1A LS1 97/98         Yes     Yes     Yes
LS1B LS1 99-08         Yes     Yes     Yes
E40  E40               Yes     Yes     Yes
T42  T42 4/5spd        Yes     Yes     Yes
E38  E38               Yes     Yes     Yes
T43  T43 6Spd          Yes     Yes     Yes
E67  E67               Yes     Yes     Yes
E37  E37               Yes     Yes     +
E39  E39               Yes     Yes     +
P10  Inline6           Yes     Yes     Yes
V6B  V6                Yes     Yes     +
V6C  V6                Yes     Yes     +
L31  Vortec            Yes     Yes     +
LB7  Duramax           Yes     Yes     Yes
LLY  Duramax           Yes     Yes     Yes
AL5  Allison 5spd      Yes     Yes     +
LBZ  Duramax           Yes     Yes     +
LMM  Duramax           Yes     Yes     +
AL6  Allison 6spd      Yes     Yes     +
A50  Allison 6spd 09+  Yes     Yes     +
CMNB Cummins           *       *       +
CMNC Cummins           *       *       +

+Coming Soon, under development
*Not officially supported yet
I've been trying this on my 2001 Trans Am and it's working great, takes about 23 seconds to do a standalone flash...

Quick Reply: HP Tuner Vs. EFI Live