PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner Vs. EFI Live

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

i.e. no more lugging a laptop with on every logging session...

Last edited by joecar; 04-01-2010 at 08:36 PM.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Really makes me want to go with EFI over HPT since i have to upgrade from my serial interface.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
As of two days ago EFILive posted firmware for standalone flashing...

Code:
Standalone support for FlashScan V2 as of March 30, 2010

ECU  Description     Logging Reading Flashing
LS1A LS1 97/98         Yes     Yes     Yes
LS1B LS1 99-08         Yes     Yes     Yes
E40  E40               Yes     Yes     Yes
T42  T42 4/5spd        Yes     Yes     Yes
E38  E38               Yes     Yes     Yes
T43  T43 6Spd          Yes     Yes     Yes
E67  E67               Yes     Yes     Yes
E37  E37               Yes     Yes     +
E39  E39               Yes     Yes     +
P10  Inline6           Yes     Yes     Yes
V6B  V6                Yes     Yes     +
V6C  V6                Yes     Yes     +
L31  Vortec            Yes     Yes     +
LB7  Duramax           Yes     Yes     Yes
LLY  Duramax           Yes     Yes     Yes
AL5  Allison 5spd      Yes     Yes     +
LBZ  Duramax           Yes     Yes     +
LMM  Duramax           Yes     Yes     +
AL6  Allison 6spd      Yes     Yes     +
A50  Allison 6spd 09+  Yes     Yes     +
CMNB Cummins           *       *       +
CMNC Cummins           *       *       +

+Coming Soon, under development
*Not officially supported yet
I've been trying this on my 2001 Trans Am and it's working great, takes about 23 seconds to do a standalone flash...
Hey Joe could you explain the benefits of using Standalone flash and how it works plse. I am a bit slow when it comes to working this stuff out and don't really understand the concept.

cheers
Old 04-01-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS Enforcer
Hey Joe could you explain the benefits of using Standalone flash and how it works plse. I am a bit slow when it comes to working this stuff out and don't really understand the concept.

cheers
Standalone flashing means you do not have to bring a laptop/PC to the car, the laptop/PC stays safely at your office/home...

You read the calibration from the car, take it to a PC, use the tunetool to edit the calibration, and take it to the car and flash it in...

Then after that, you log (no laptop), take the log to a PC, use the scantool to view it, use the tunetool to edit the calibration (which is already on that PC), and take it to the car and flash it in.
Old 04-01-2010, 08:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

It also means you can carry multiple calibration files with you and flash them in as you require (no laptop).
Old 04-02-2010, 09:25 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joecar
It also means you can carry multiple calibration files with you and flash them in as you require (no laptop).
It also means as a shop we can purchase the Auto cal and sell it to the customer with multiple tunes loaded on it!!!
Also, the customer can log data on their own, email it to us, and we can make changes to the cal based on the data, email it back and they load it into the car.

It will be a cheaper route for people to have multiple tunes with stand alone loggin capabilities.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like Tunercat's Winflash cable...

The question I have is, will it be reasonably priced?
Old 04-02-2010, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I understand the multiple tune part but the scenario below is not worth it, if you are tuning and going back and forth to tune, reload etc. you may as well have the laptop hooked up and just get the tune done.

Standalone flashing means you do not have to bring a laptop/PC to the car, the laptop/PC stays safely at your office/home...

You read the calibration from the car, take it to a PC, use the tunetool to edit the calibration, and take it to the car and flash it in...

Then after that, you log (no laptop), take the log to a PC, use the scantool to view it, use the tunetool to edit the calibration (which is already on that PC), and take it to the car and flash it in.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not everyone has a laptop or knows what they are doing.
This is a much better option than going back and forth to a shop to tune or blindly jumping in and
you can clear codes or make changes on your own once you get a grip on how the software works.

For around $100 price difference between EFILive & HPTuners you get a lot more for the money, BBF, BBR, BBL, SD card memory, serial devices are supported ect.

The only thing HPT has over EFILive is the amount of supported vehicles and some would say the support is not complete,
they are still adding parameters for the LS1 PCM that have been available for a long time w/EFILIve.
Have the figured out the VVE stuff yet?

Both will work do some research,
it's not like neither has a web page or forum.
You won't see the EFILive support staff or sales people replying to threads like these only customers.
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not everyone has a laptop or knows what they are doing.
D

Nobody knows what they're doing on the first car they tune, in theory maybe but R&D is the only way to begin to know how to tune. With netbooks more than capable of tuning going for less than $200 new on a daily basis thats not much of an excuse not to tune now days.

For around $100 price difference between EFILive & HPTuners you get a lot more for the money, BBF, BBR, BBL, SD card memory, serial devices are supported ect.
Not to split hairs but its a $150 difference and for that rare person that doesn't have a laptop probably isn't a computer person in which case might not even want to tune his/her own car...all that stuff is a convenience at best but is in no way necessity.

The only thing HPT has over EFILive is the amount of supported vehicles and some would say the support is not complete,
Why not take a look at some of the pcm's efi supports cobalt 2.0, colorado, etc that isn't a huge seller, you'll find even less tables than we offer. It comes down to where sales are going to, obviously if they sell alot of interfaces for diesels they are going to concentrate on diesels and add features for them its simple business there.

they are still adding parameters for the LS1 PCM that have been available for a long time w/EFILIve.
Yeah I'm confused as well, they still don't have several tables we've offered for quite some time and still haven't added them. We are also several steps ahead of efi in E38/E67 & T43 table support...it'll always be like this in where we bounce back & forth between who has more tables.

Have the figured out the VVE stuff yet?
We do custom operating systems instead which our customers seem to prefer since it adds alot of features the stock os cannot accommodate.

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...2&postcount=22

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showpo...06&postcount=3

Both will work do some research,
it's not like neither has a web page or forum.
You won't see the EFILive support staff or sales people replying to threads like these only customers.
Its always the same 4 customers touting the same thing over and over, this is why the threads get locked. Both products are very good, offer good support and features that the other doesn't, it will always be that way. We have a lower price point and support alot more vehicles.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EFI live over HPTuners. I know several unsatisfied HPtuners users that wish they would have gone with EFI live. I am extremely happy with EFI live and the support available on these forums and EFI live's forum.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright guys I'm tired of seeing these treads. Look at the sticky if you have questions regarding HPT vs EFILive. Everyone has an opinion and until you've used both on a daily basis, none in hear can have an unbiased opinion, period. Both products have features that the other doesn't and each have positives and negatives when it comes to that. Reasearch on your own, go to each sites web page and FORUMS and ask questions. Don't ask them in hear as I'll start handing out warnings. Foff and I have been round And round on these issues before some of you could probably even drive
so your beating a dead horse and issue. It's done. Anymore hpt bs efilive threads will be deleated IMMEDIATELY without warning.

For those wondering, I've own both...Don't ask what I prefer as I won't answer.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Side note, some info in this thread is
valid some not. Research to find out what is and isn't, but don't do it in here.

Closed

Quick Reply: HP Tuner Vs. EFI Live