Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HP Tuner Credit Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 04:25 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HP Tuner Credit Question

I just bought HP Tuners Pro MPVI. When I first copied my PCM, it prompted me to license for 2 credits. Ok, that's normal. However, when I tried to write the new "tune" (all I changed was my gear ratio) it prompted me for 2 more credits to use the "Enhanced VCM Interface". Is this right? Do I need 4 credits to tune my car?

Thanks guys!
Old 05-17-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you write calibration only or write entire? don't write entire unless you mean it. for what you changed you just want calibration.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
I just bought HP Tuners Pro MPVI. When I first copied my PCM, it prompted me to license for 2 credits. Ok, that's normal. However, when I tried to write the new "tune" (all I changed was my gear ratio) it prompted me for 2 more credits to use the "Enhanced VCM Interface". Is this right? Do I need 4 credits to tune my car?

Thanks guys!

Stop; don't use any more credits. Email support@hptuners.com for direction.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:56 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
did you write calibration only or write entire? don't write entire unless you mean it. for what you changed you just want calibration.
I don't see an option other than "Write Entire". However, I don't have the software in front of me at the moment.

Contacting HP Tuners, and the selling vendor didn't really do much for me. HP Tuners told me that it's not free, and the selling vendor just pushed me back to HPT. So I've wasted an extra 2 credits. Awesome. Last purchases I will make from either.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

So I've wasted an extra 2 credits. Awesome.
Last purchases I will make from either.
Another happy customer

How is the track?
Old 05-19-2010, 03:37 PM
10 Second Club

Working well. 12.24@111.02 last time out. Not bad for a car built in a barn with a 152k mile engine out of a wrecked car.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Custom operating systems cost 2 credits to utilize, this is something that takes use hundreds and in some cases thousands of man hours to create. Things like real time tuning, VE multiplier tables, etc were never offered by GM so we spent time to offer these things to our customers. In the end its up to the user if he/she wants to take advantage of these, nobody forces them to use them.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:48 PM
10 Second Club

And another typical terse response I've come to expect from this company rather than helpful information regarding the issue at hand. I was FORCED to use two credits to change the gear ratio, and shift point. I have not attempted any sort of advanced tuning as it's well beyond my comfort zone and ability.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned

Working well. 12.24@111.02 last time out. Not bad for a car built in a barn with a 152k mile engine out of a wrecked car.
I move the Rock Hill SC last fall. I have known Broadway for about 15 years or so. I used to work on his car for him. I had his old Caprice convertible at my house for about 2 month at one time. The last few years I have only been to the track a few times. We ran a 2003 Cadillac DHS --- 13.6 it had a few mods. We started out at 16.1
Old 05-19-2010, 06:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

And another typical terse response I've come to expect from this company rather than helpful information regarding the issue at hand. I was FORCED to use two credits to change the gear ratio, and shift point. I have not attempted any sort of advanced tuning as it's well beyond my comfort zone and ability.
Maybe your PREVIOUS tuner attempted using that sort of advanced tuning and didn't tell you. In which case the previous tuner could've sent you the stock operating system for use. Really we don't have much control over what your previous tuner might have done to your pcm.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't understand why it asked you to use 2 credits when you "copied" (You mean Read right?) the controller. As far as I was aware HPT changed that quite some time ago that you didn't need to use credits to pull a tune. So by my understanding you must of done a flash first for it to ask for two credits.

Then if you only changed the gear ratio it wouldn't ask you to use any more. If you did however select to apply an enhancement then yes it will ask you for more. That is normal and a part of the HPT credit scheme like it or loath it.

If you didn't want to pay for enhancements, you should have purchased EFI LIVE, being that all custom operating systems they produce are Free.. And as far as LS1's go, more capable as a whole IMO. But you didn't so just accept it mate. Its only $100 after all.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:21 AM
11 Second Club

lol...this is a first for me...somehow you had to acidently load a custom os...
Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by foff667
Maybe your PREVIOUS tuner attempted using that sort of advanced tuning and didn't tell you. In which case the previous tuner could've sent you the stock operating system for use. Really we don't have much control over what your previous tuner might have done to your pcm.
No one has tuned it at all. The cable and software was purchased brand new, this was the first time using it.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No one has tuned it at all. The cable and software was purchased brand new, this was the first time using it.
If so contact support, if its a software bug on our end we'll be happy to take a second look privately.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:36 AM
7 Second Club

post the tune up here, it sounds as if you somehow loaded a custom OS...
Old 05-24-2010, 12:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Another typical response from someone who thinks that everyone is out to screw them over. You weren't forced to do ****. There is a problem somewhere I'm willing to bet it's mostly in your communicating what your problem was.

And you're not going to do anymore business with the vendor whom you bought it from? That's stupid. What did they do wrong? They just eliminated the middleman by telling you do tell with the people that made the software.

Originally Posted by macca_779

If you didn't want to pay for enhancements, you should have purchased EFI LIVE,
If he doesn't understand what's going on here, then buying EFIlive probably wouldn't have helped. What if the car already has an HPT custom OS in it. Then he would be stuck for sure.

He's asking if the car had been tuned before. With someone else's cable.

Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
post the tune up here, it sounds as if you somehow loaded a custom OS...
This is the best idea yet.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z

This is the best idea yet.
No the best idea was the one I messaged him with. I told him i'd loan him a pcm(for the cost of shipping it), so his vehicle wouldn't be down, so he could send his stuff all to Bill or HpTuner, for them to decide, what kind of bug their package has now. I'm sure it will get straightened out, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place and of course, nobody will ever explain what went wrong. Keep those bugs in the dark and hope nobody else finds them
Old 05-24-2010, 08:37 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by poconojoe
No the best idea was the one I messaged him with. I told him i'd loan him a pcm(for the cost of shipping it), so his vehicle wouldn't be down, so he could send his stuff all to Bill or HpTuner, for them to decide, what kind of bug their package has now. I'm sure it will get straightened out, but it shouldn't have happened in the first place and of course, nobody will ever explain what went wrong. Keep those bugs in the dark and hope nobody else finds them
I seriously doubt its a bug and since he has yet to contact us it makes that case even stronger. It would take me about 5 minutes to look over his info to determine if its a bug or exactly what the issue is, why you would recommend something that would hold him up for weeks probably isn't the best advice I've ever heard
Old 05-24-2010, 09:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by foff667
I seriously doubt its a bug and since he has yet to contact us it makes that case even stronger. It would take me about 5 minutes to look over his info to determine if its a bug or exactly what the issue is, why you would recommend something that would hold him up for weeks probably isn't the best advice I've ever heard
So you're telling us it would take you weeks to find which bug in your software is causing his problem.

Oh I forgot, you're like MS, they're not bugs, they're features, was always my favorite answer, from them
Old 05-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by poconojoe
So you're telling us it would take you weeks to find which bug in your software is causing his problem.

Oh I forgot, you're like MS, they're not bugs, they're features, was always my favorite answer, from them
Only if you knew

I need to get my HPT up to date

Quick Reply: HP Tuner Credit Question