PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whats a good wideband to use with HP tuners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Whats a good wideband to use with HP tuners?

I decided to get into tuning my own as I dont wanna have to pay for a tune every time I mod something on my car. I just bought HP tuners today & will need a wideband soon. I bought the premium version, should I get a dual wideband setup as I have the dual sensor bungs in my ORY. If I install the WB in one side it wont read both banks so if I do the single is it best to add another sensor bung behind the Y?
Old 05-28-2010, 11:29 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wouldn't get to worried about have a WB in each bank, the trims will let up know if you have a mechanical failure like a stuck injector, plugs issue, O2 going out, etc.

I have the NGK AFX and it works great. Do a search on that one on here and the HP Tuners forum and you will find a lot of great reviews.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Using dual or single is a matter of preference. Its always best to have the sensor closet to the manifold as possible so I would mount it as close to you factory 02’s as possible if you plan to leave it in. I use a PLX M300 mounted and wired in my car all the time and have the sensor in the collector of my header and it’s a single. PLX is nice because it self calibrating. If you want a dual I would look into the new wideband made by FAST I think its self calibrating too. If you want to remove it from car to car I would get a LM1 or LM2. I have a LM2 and love it but they need free air calibration every so often.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:15 PM
Teching In

plx i love em
Old 05-28-2010, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

single LC1 is my favorate wideband, and have that in both of my daily drivers.

The PLX is pretty decent and I have that in one of my other cars.

I suggest the LC1 usually, because accuracy and such is a bit higher, but it is pretty temperamental.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:41 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like my LM1
Old 05-28-2010, 01:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sh0wGoAt
Using dual or single is a matter of preference. Its always best to have the sensor closet to the manifold as possible so I would mount it as close to you factory 02’s as possible if you plan to leave it in. I use a PLX M300 mounted and wired in my car all the time and have the sensor in the collector of my header and it’s a single. PLX is nice because it self calibrating. If you want a dual I would look into the new wideband made by FAST I think its self calibrating too. If you want to remove it from car to car I would get a LM1 or LM2. I have a LM2 and love it but they need free air calibration every so often.
Are you 100% sure that the PLX actually CALIBRATES and doesn't just look to the cal resistor in the connector for it's reference? I try to avoid setups that do that... the sensor ages but the cal resistor is always a fixed value. That is literally the point of free-air calibration.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by foff667
I like my LM1
+1

I have an AFX with NGK sensor for cars with leaded fuel, but I tend to use the LM1 otherwise.

I grabbed an LM2 a while back about 6 months after they came out but mine was action-packed with issues. They added 900 bells and whistles at the expense of core functionality. I would 100 times over rather that they had left all of the other crap and focused on the core sensor controller.
Old 05-28-2010, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Frost
Are you 100% sure that the PLX actually CALIBRATES and doesn't just look to the cal resistor in the connector for it's reference? I try to avoid setups that do that... the sensor ages but the cal resistor is always a fixed value. That is literally the point of free-air calibration.
im not sure i checked the plx website and it didnt say. maybe it says in the owners manual. ive read things about cal resistor types problems although mine has been in the car for about 5 years now and just about 6-7 months ago it started to read a bit weird on start ups so i figured the sensor is about to go and it needs a long time to heat up. once its hot it reads accurate comparing to the dyno's wideband.