Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input what Tuning software to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
From my experience the datalogging in HPTuners is not rivaled by even EFILive though!
Originally Posted by 5.7 ute
Can you expand on this? (Genuine question)
LSxPwrDZ, I'm also curious about this...!?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joecar
LSxPwrDZ, I'm also curious about this...!?

Makes 3 of us...
Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Makes 3 of us...
4. I challenge anyone to show me areas where HPTuners exceeds EFI in the scanner. I personally can get by with the HPT tuner, but the scanner to me is no where near as user friendly or customisable.

On Frost's comments about experience with either suite. I can concur. I struggle to navigate around HPTuners because I simply have not used it as much. For someone starting from scratch with no experience with either, this is of no concern.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both of them are just a tool, either one will have the job done.
The important thing is the know-how:
  • How to tune
  • How to use your tunning software.
  • How to troubleshoot
  • How an engine works.
  • How EFI works, etc.
The most difficult problems I had with cars were solved by experience, knowledge and research, not by purchasing the most powerful software in the world.

Regards.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MontecarloDrag
Both of them are just a tool, either one will have the job done.
The important thing is the know-how:
  • How to tune
  • How to use your tunning software.
  • How to troubleshoot
  • How an engine works.
  • How EFI works, etc.
The most difficult problems I had with cars were solved by experience, knowledge and research, not by purchasing the most powerful software in the world.

Regards.
Use LS1Edit then.
Old 06-09-2010, 01:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I had a big paragraph typed out and for whatever reason it didn't post...

The main differences that I see between the two on datalogging is the ability to have user programmable PID's along with numerous filters. The histogram's are completely programmable in HPT as well. You can have more histogram's at one time logging. There is graphing in HPT that I may have overlooked in EFILive but I didn't see it on there. Also programmable. I know EFILive has some tables that I'd like to see in HPTuners but oh well the one's missing wont make or break a tune either!

The layout is much simpler on HPTuners as well. To me the EFILive scanner is cluttered and hard to get around efficiently in. EFILive has the ability to use the roadrunner which is absolutely awsome because I like Moates hardware, but that is a costly piece of equipment and I can get RTT in the stock PCM and doesn't cost me anything because I don't even have to license GenIII car's anymore anyway. The GenIII Car package is much more economical than EFILive and the custom OS's come for free when you do this package.

These are just some pro's for the HPTuners software/hardware. I'm very well aware of EFILives pro's over HPTuners and I've considered buying EFILive also just to have the ability to do segement swap's and access some features and tables that HPTuners currently doesnt have.

The biggest thing that is pimp as **** is nitrous control with EFILive! HPTuners wont do anything like this ever because they are too focused on newer gen car's/truck's and what HPT offers for the LS1 based GenIII Car's is all your gonna get!

Last edited by LSxPwrDZ; 06-09-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 06-09-2010, 03:04 AM
7 Second Club

i own both, got Gen3's there is not a lot of difference in them, each has there own little +'s and -'s...

i find HPT scanner a lot nicer the efi live scanner..

then comes the Gen 4's.. HPT leaves everything else in its wake.. it is the only way to roll with the Custom OS and a real VE table that is accurate..
Old 06-09-2010, 05:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do have to agree that EFILive needs to get on the ball with Gen IV VE tables! Virtual VE sucks! Unfortunately (or fortunately depending how you look at it), I haven't had a lot of work lately on the Gen IV's...
Old 06-10-2010, 01:35 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

On alot of setup's that deal with Virtual VE, I disable Dynamic Airflow and run MAF only. However most of the newer Gen IV stuff I've done is minor modified vehicles that would otherwise run perfectly fine on MAF only tunes.

Virtual VE is alot more accureate in HPTuners right now due to Bluecat's program that translates the coefficients into an actual VE table.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:54 AM
7 Second Club

the HPT custom os is the only way to fly, it is avaliable for most OS's now and it is the most accurate way to tune a Gen 4 car mafless
Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
i own both, got Gen3's there is not a lot of difference in them, each has there own little +'s and -'s...

i find HPT scanner a lot nicer the efi live scanner..

then comes the Gen 4's.. HPT leaves everything else in its wake.. it is the only way to roll with the Custom OS and a real VE table that is accurate..
Last time I looked LQ4's were not Gen4 motors, even if they do have a 4 in their name, which is what the OP was asking about and since HPT seems to only be concerned with improving their Gen4 features, it doesn't seem to be the wisest move for the OP to buy, something the manufactor, is seeming, to start, to phase out improving
Old 06-10-2010, 10:33 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Last time I looked LQ4's were not Gen4 motors, even if they do have a 4 in their name, which is what the OP was asking about and since HPT seems to only be concerned with improving their Gen4 features, it doesn't seem to be the wisest move for the OP to buy, something the manufactor, is seeming, to start, to phase out improving
We are in the midst of doing some E38/E67 adds after which we'll be adding some new LS1 tables to all the os's
- IAT spark ECT multiplier table
- TPS high/low voltage thresholds (P0122/123)
- AC Recirc option
- Rolling idle params

and are looking into adding several other tables. Because our LS1 software is pretty much complete we rarely get table requests anymore as nearly everything is already there and what isn't we add. We have, in no way, phased out LS1 support.

-Bill
Old 06-10-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by foff667
We are in the midst of doing some E38/E67 adds after which we'll be adding some new LS1 tables to all the os's
- IAT spark ECT multiplier table
- TPS high/low voltage thresholds (P0122/123)
- AC Recirc option
- Rolling idle params

and are looking into adding several other tables. Because our LS1 software is pretty much complete we rarely get table requests anymore as nearly everything is already there and what isn't we add. We have, in no way, phased out LS1 support.

-Bill
So nothing EFI hasn't already had for years and nothing useful like a VE/IAT Factor table that solves temperature drift with SD tunes, or even a semi open loop commanded fuelling table, again that EFI LIVE has had for years.

How many years do we have to wait for your hand held to come out too so you can again catch up with the competition.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by macca_779
So nothing EFI hasn't already had for years and nothing useful like a VE/IAT Factor table that solves temperature drift with SD tunes, or even a semi open loop commanded fuelling table, again that EFI LIVE has had for years.

How many years do we have to wait for your hand held to come out too so you can again catch up with the competition.
Are you kidding me? we've had tables eflive hasn't had for years(check transient fueling for starters), we've had support for vehicles efilive doesn't for years, custom os support for vehicles eflive doesn't offer them for, we're adding support for vehicles they don't support, we are offering a scan tool that will scan virtually any obd2 vehicle something they haven't done with their "superior" scan tool, all I was saying in my post was that we haven't forgotten about the LS1 crowd, and never have. Don't make this into a pissing match because its pointless, you can name 100 things we don't have and I can name 100 that they don't.

Your post is completely off point and you really should stay out of threads if you have nothing of value to add other than badmouthing a sponsor.

-Bill
Old 06-10-2010, 03:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macca_779

Man you are like a broken record!

Where is Autocal? Oh yeah, not out yet either. Your VE/IAT table works good on legitimately rising IATs and does NOT work for heat-soaked sensors, which is the real problem. Where is EFI Live on RTT with the stock hardware? Where are they on an OS for the 97-98 cars? Where are they on all of the GenIII dynamic airflow variables?

hmmmm.

-edit-

I see Bill just posted but I can leave this. I'm not a hater, I BOUGHT EFI Live and I use it; I just don't use it everyday.

-edit2-

For Mick

Last edited by Frost; 06-10-2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by poconojoe

It seems you efi live guys have to harp on e erything cause you know your gen 4 tuning soultion is rubbish so you pick on everything you can lol

love to see how you tune a gen 3 with a short runner manifold as well since your beloved efi live dosent even include the basic transient fueling...
Old 06-10-2010, 05:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 10sec_rx7
It seems you efi live guys have to harp on e erything cause you know your gen 4 tuning soultion is rubbish so you pick on everything you can lol

love to see how you tune a gen 3 with a short runner manifold as well since your beloved efi live dosent even include the basic transient fueling...
Basic transient fuelling has been around for awhile. First in .cax format, now in the actual calibrations. (I dont like to get involved in these pissing contests but I do like the facts to be accurate)
Any of the other transient tables are still available in .cax form so anyone can use/edit these cells.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:31 PM
7 Second Club

sorry it has impact factor, evap time, stomp comp and stomp reduction, not really enough to get a perfectly well tuned setup with any manifold other than the stock one,
Old 06-10-2010, 05:51 PM
11 Second Club

Like I said, there are some basics( which some have said we have none) Then with the .cax we have
Wall mass factor, wall wetting rpm,wall wetting tps, impact factor, impact factor modifier, boiling constant,boiling constant modifier,stomp make up fuel,dfco stomp compensation tps, prior stomp compensation reduction, initial stomp compensation time,stomp compensation delay.
What else do you need? (again a genuine question as I havent come across a short runner set up)
Old 06-10-2010, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Frost
Where is EFI Live on RTT with the stock hardware?
About 1.5 full versions ago. It used the DVT controls in a dynamic way. EFI removed it when Roadrunner came out as it represents far more capability and true real time tuning of everything and still does.
Although it has been suggested to bring the old capability back in V8. You wont have as many things to play with in RTT as HPT does (thats where RR takes over). But the main things like Commanded fuel, Spark and IAC control will all be there and it will be easy to incorporate as it is just a revised way of controlling the already available DVT Real Time Controls.

As for Autocal. That can wait. I'm talking about V2 Handheld abilities. Which have been out for a while now.

Last edited by macca_779; 06-10-2010 at 09:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for input what Tuning software to buy