Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for input what Tuning software to buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking for input what Tuning software to buy

I'm currently working on a my first ls motor swap project. A 1992 GMC typhoon with lq4 and 4l80e swap. I going to start out NA and turbo it down the road. I have been looking at different tuning software and it is a lot to take in. Just looking for some good input to put me in the right direction. I have seen a lots of post about hptuners but sorta lost on the credit's system. Comes with 8 credits, then you use 2 credits for a ls car. Then am i able to tune that car as much as i want for the 2 credits? The web site is pretty vag and it is late at night. Just looking for some input about the tuning software that is out there for the ls engines. thanks for reading

sincerely,
Kevin Blaha
Old 06-07-2010, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You could just get it tuned and not have to buy or worry about the extra money and headache. Most tuners will re-tune for a cheaper price since the basics are already done.

The two credits are for your pcm, your tune will not disapear and the 2 credits are good for that vehicle forever.

You can find a tune for around $75 (mail order) up to $200. Little more for F/I, NOS, dyno tunes
Old 06-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by boost27
I'm currently working on a my first ls motor swap project. A 1992 GMC typhoon with lq4 and 4l80e swap. I going to start out NA and turbo it down the road. I have been looking at different tuning software and it is a lot to take in. Just looking for some good input to put me in the right direction. I have seen a lots of post about hptuners but sorta lost on the credit's system. Comes with 8 credits, then you use 2 credits for a ls car. Then am i able to tune that car as much as i want for the 2 credits? The web site is pretty vag and it is late at night. Just looking for some input about the tuning software that is out there for the ls engines. thanks for reading

sincerely,
Kevin Blaha
Personally, I'd go with EFI Live, since it allows for COS's without using extra credits, since most likely when you go boosted, you'll need to switch to a 2 or 3 bar map system and SD.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

sincerely,
Kevin Blaha
Once you license your vehicle for the 2 credits you can tune all you want until you go boosted which will more than likely a 2 or 3 bar MAP. HPT is a better starting point money wise but either is a good choice to make.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:05 PM
11 Second Club

I like efi-live. You could take it someplace to get tuned, but trust me you will want your own software eventually. I have found most pro tuners dont take the time to really hammer out the drivability issues.(plus many other issues) It is the best money I have ever spent on my car.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

EFI LIVE is far more flexible with its licencing. No issues with VIN/OS mismatch as it doesn't care about either as licensing is linked to PCM Serial # and nothing else. Plus there is the Hand-held capability which far exceeds HPT in every way from its ability to standalone log over 100 times longer. The ability to pull and flash tunes without a laptop. And the best of all you can log and view data on the V2 screen in real-time, so again no need for a laptop for day to day logging. You can also set visual and audible alarms for what ever conditions you like. I for example have one for when oil pressure drops below 30psi, and also knock register above .2 degrees. Then there is the ability to scan and clear trouble codes which is very handy for buddies when you wouldn't have your laptop on you all the time but the V2 is just sitting in your glovebox.

The licensing scheme is also a lot simpler IMO. One licence for one car and that is all you will ever pay for that car. Custom Operating systems are all free and you can install and remove them as you please without ever having to worry about licensing.

EFI LIVE is slightly more expensive but ignoring the software advantages which only become apparent when you have both as I do. The hardware advantages in the V2's standalone capabilities and its digital comms with external sensors more than justify the extra expense.

Just look at the two and its pretty easy to see which one is more capable

Old 06-07-2010, 11:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

In the end they both will allow you to get the job done! It is nice however to have free OS upgrades etc but then again the EFILive setup is more expensive as well. From my experience the datalogging in HPTuners is not rivaled by even EFILive though! Also HPTuners has the ability for RTT with the STOCK PCM and doesnt need an expensive Roadrunner PCM!

Like I said there is pro's and con's to both but in the end both are very well capable of tuning that particular setup!
Old 06-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
In the end they both will allow you to get the job done! It is nice however to have free OS upgrades etc but then again the EFILive setup is more expensive as well. From my experience the datalogging in HPTuners is not rivaled by even EFILive though! Also HPTuners has the ability for RTT with the STOCK PCM and doesnt need an expensive Roadrunner PCM!

Like I said there is pro's and con's to both but in the end both are very well capable of tuning that particular setup!
It might be more expensive for a small shop, but not for the guy thats only doing a few of his own vehicles or friends, and certianly not when you take in to account, the COS's and RTT cost extra. By the way I have a roadrunner and you only license it once and I can use it to do true RRT on as many vehicles as I want, the accepts that family of PCM's. No HP's version requires you to license every vehicle, it doesn't take long to recover the cost of the Roadrunner. Plus if you buy a RR, you can buy TC with it and get rid of 90% of your licensing costs
You can make a case, for any of the packages, at the end of day, it all depends on what you're doing with it.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:24 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by poconojoe
It might be more expensive for a small shop, but not for the guy thats only doing a few of his own vehicles or friends, and certianly not when you take in to account, the COS's and RTT cost extra. By the way I have a roadrunner and you only license it once and I can use it to do true RRT on as many vehicles as I want, the accepts that family of PCM's. No HP's version requires you to license every vehicle, it doesn't take long to recover the cost of the Roadrunner. Plus if you buy a RR, you can buy TC with it and get rid of 90% of your licensing costs
You can make a case, for any of the packages, at the end of day, it all depends on what you're doing with it.
Oh I completely agree but the OS upgrades don't cost me any money either in HPT. I do kinda wish I had went with EFILive now though just for some of the extra tables that are included that HPT doesnt have and the segment swap capability.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:27 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the input guys, seems like EFI live would be the more reasonable chose to purchase. Yes is more money up front but hpturners will cost that much just overtime and just not all at once.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:30 PM
FormerVendor

they cost the same after you own them for the most part... HPT comes with enough base credits to tune 4 cars and future cars are basically $100 each (no enhancement OS). EFI Live come with enough VIN licenses to tune 2 cars and future cars are $100.
Old 06-08-2010, 04:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys, seems like EFI live would be the more reasonable chose to purchase. Yes is more money up front but hpturners will cost that much just overtime and just not all at once.
What hasn't been mentioned is that we offer low cost upgrades to unlimited year/model licenses which efilive does not offer

We allow you to use upgrade credits up to the total amount of the unlimited vcm license whereas efilive only gives you up to 50% of the total amount.

So in the short term & long term our software will end up being far less expensive whether you are looking to tune 1 car or 1,000.

-Bill
Old 06-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by foff667
What hasn't been mentioned is that we offer low cost upgrades to unlimited year/model licenses which efilive does not offer

We allow you to use upgrade credits up to the total amount of the unlimited vcm license whereas efilive only gives you up to 50% of the total amount.

So in the short term & long term our software will end up being far less expensive whether you are looking to tune 1 car or 1,000.

-Bill
Only if you're tuning single model / year, without COS's
Want to compare by PCM w/COS's ?
How about the guys that need the VIN to match the vehicle for their emissions test, but its for a Mazda instead of a GM, how do you handle that?
All the packages have their positives and minuses, you can bias the numbers any way you want, the person has to go by what they're tuning, there is no one package fits all
Old 06-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Banned

I think you're making a wise choice in your case, it wouldn't be the best choice in all cases.
Notice how Efi is only defended by user, not by the factory man. That says a lot right there
Old 06-08-2010, 05:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSxPwrDZ
From my experience the datalogging in HPTuners is not rivaled by even EFILive though!
Can you expand on this? (Genuine question)
Old 06-08-2010, 06:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're making a wise choice in your case, it wouldn't be the best choice in all cases.
Notice how Efi is only defended by user, not by the factory man. That says a lot right there
It says that I've owned an LS1 camaro and have been on this forum since 2003, four years before I started working for HP Tuners, and I support, own and use our product on a daily basis.

-Bill
Old 06-08-2010, 06:12 PM
FormerVendor

It says that they aren't a board sponsor, so they can't promote their business themselves.

I have had HPTuner's since mid 2005. After I decided to buy EFI Live, I decided to buy every other LS1 software package that I know of as well (and arguably should have sooner). I still use HPTuner's every day. I just cannot work as efficiently with EFI Live. Some of that is obviously just experience with the software. I don't like drilling down through the tree on the left. Another big thing is that I am used to being able to click on the 3D graph and adjust cell value when hand smoothing. If I can do that with EFI Live, I haven't found it yet. EFI Live has the ability to modify VIN as you noted. In my never-ending hatred for 97-98 PCMs, I need that ability as well as the ability to swap fuel segments to get the cars converted to 411 PCMs. That and segment swapping in general are my dominant use of EFI Live. The use of CAX files is VERY nice and allows for a lot of flexibility for people who know how to dig a little deeper. The support at HPTuner's (mainly Bill posting in this thread) is great. He has many many times gone back and forth with me through email well after midnight. The few times I was in a genuine bind and needed something ASAP, he saw it through and stayed in touch.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:50 PM
11 Second Club

Frost, when adjusting the 3d table, click on the cell or cells to adjust & use the F7 or F8 to raise or lower the value. To adjust in smaller values use ctrl+F7 or F8.
You can use the favourites tab to stop from using the tree navigator.
Also I have found the script function to be a real time saver when making a base tune.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:26 PM
FormerVendor

It's the click-hold to 'grab' and pull the graph up and down that I'm referring to. I use F7/F8, I just like the click-grab. TC does it too.

It will probably be the winter time before I can really spend a lot of time with EFI Live. I just cannot work with anywhere near the speed that I can HPTuner's, but I'm sure the majority of that is experience. I'd LOVE if EITHER version would allow table inversion. After looking at tables a certain way for the last 5 years, well, you know.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when I started tuning in 2004, I used both EFILive and HPtuners... at that time, I liked numerous features of EFILive better, and went with it exclusively... I realize, since that time, HPTuners has made some changes (and so has EFILive for that matter). They both will get the job done... I think that for me, it's cause back in the beginning, EFILive was ahead of the game... and once I got familiar and invested, I stayed with them.

Quick Reply: Looking for input what Tuning software to buy