PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM EMS on 370ci PT88 Turbo Setup

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, boost comp works great with a boost referenced regulator. With the fuel system set up that way and a boost comp tune, you should only need to tune one boost level @ WOT for fuel and just copy paste that to the rest of the boost portion of the main fuel map. It is a huge time saver and saves beatings on the powertrain as well. You can then tune the vacuum areas cell by cell (best method for driveability) or copy paste that line to the vacuum areas as well and set up the throttle mod table to lean out low throttle areas (quick method but relies heavily on a good TPS sensor).
Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 05HD
Yes, boost comp works great with a boost referenced regulator. With the fuel system set up that way and a boost comp tune, you should only need to tune one boost level @ WOT for fuel and just copy paste that to the rest of the boost portion of the main fuel map. It is a huge time saver and saves beatings on the powertrain as well. You can then tune the vacuum areas cell by cell (best method for driveability) or copy paste that line to the vacuum areas as well and set up the throttle mod table to lean out low throttle areas (quick method but relies heavily on a good TPS sensor).
This is an interesting strategy. I did some reading on it. I may try it out for boost only (hybrid) once I have the vacuum portion of the map done and am ready to throw in the 3 bar sensor. That'll definetly help with resolution.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:31 PM
Restricted User

I did finally get a chance to increase the TPS threshold for ACCEL FUELING which seems to have fixed the O2 FB not coming on once the IDLE thresholds have been crossed. I had to raise it to 50% in order for it to not trigger.

Still concerned that this will screw up WOT feedback. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I did finally get a chance to increase the TPS threshold for ACCEL FUELING which seems to have fixed the O2 FB not coming on once the IDLE thresholds have been crossed. I had to raise it to 50% in order for it to not trigger.

Still concerned that this will screw up WOT feedback. I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.
It sounds like you have a bad TPS sensor or a bad wiring connection somewhere. Average car can get away with 3-4% trigger without false triggering.
Old 07-17-2010, 06:27 PM
Restricted User

Knocked out a couple more problems yesterday. Fixed the fan wiring so that they both come on high. Car was getting too hot too quick in stop and go. Seems to be good now holding around 205* at 95* ambient. It's Africa hot here this time of year.

Also, MagnaFuel pump finally bit the dust. I suspect that it has been the source of many tuning gremlins over the last few months. My buddy had the next bigger one in this family sitting on his shelf so we swapped it out right quick.

Now I really need to dig in to the start and idle modifier tables and get them figured out. It mostly just starts like ****. Well, it actually starts and runs for a few seconds well and then it dies. I think it's going really lean after the initial start, then if I can keep it running for a few seconds, it's fine and once it's in gear, it runs rock solid. I can go WOT to hard on the brakes and she wont miss a beat. Just need to figure out what combo of what modifier tables I need to tweak.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Restricted User

I got some WOT tuning done this weekend. Took her up to 6K and 11-12 psi of boost. Also had a buddy drive so that I could dial in the driveability cells.

I started really trying to figure out the hot/warm start issues and the transition from park/nuetral into reverse (heaviest load gear). I noticed that the ignition idle trims aren't doing anything at idle. So I am not getting any overspeed/underspeed timing corrections. That's the next issue to figure out. I also dont think that the idle over/under fuel modifier table is doing anything either. I changed the values in both to extremes and they didn't seem to have any effect.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any news!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got some WOT tuning done this weekend. Took her up to 6K and 11-12 psi of boost. Also had a buddy drive so that I could dial in the driveability cells.

I started really trying to figure out the hot/warm start issues and the transition from park/nuetral into reverse (heaviest load gear). I noticed that the ignition idle trims aren't doing anything at idle. So I am not getting any overspeed/underspeed timing corrections. That's the next issue to figure out. I also dont think that the idle over/under fuel modifier table is doing anything either. I changed the values in both to extremes and they didn't seem to have any effect.
It is quite possible those tables aren't being used because of the TPS sensor problem you mentioned earlier or perhaps another idle parameter that is keeping the AEM from using the idle tables. Once again, would need to see data from running car to see what is causing it.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:05 PM
Restricted User

I swapped out the TPS and it made no difference.Timing and fueling trims (over/under idle corrections) still didn't work. I called AEM and explained the issue. They told me that my tps should never read zero. It should swing from 0.00-1.00% at idle. Now, keep in mind that I used the ECU SETUP/TPS CALIBRATION to set it up which is how the manual tells you to do it. Anyway, he told me to go into SENSORS/TPS/OPTIONS and lower the low side voltage a little until I saw some movement above 0.00. VIOLA!!! Corrections started working.

Unfortunately, that didn't completely fix my hot startup or transition from park/nuetral to reverse/drive stalling issues. I decided to tackle the gear issue first. The solution to this problem came via the IAC. It turns out that I had my throttleblade completely closed and not enough of a hole in my throttle blade. In order for the car to idle correctly in drive and reverse, I had something like 85% open IAC position. This was too close to 100% and didn't leave enough headroom for the transition as it seems to want more than that on the initial shift. I ended up turning the throttle screw in to about 3% and then reconfiguring the TPS again. This put my in gear IAC requirement at 30% which allows the IAC to do it's thing better in either direction. Problem fixed.

Last but not least was the hot start stalling issues. I found that the car would run for about 10 seconds relatively well before it would get itself into trouble and stall out. What was happening was that the start up corrections would kick in immediately after turning the car on and most of these tables were set to ramp down within 25 seconds but the O2 correction was setup to come on within 10 sec across the board. So the O2 correction was fighting the startup corrections. I shortened up the startup stuff and pushed the closed loop O2 correction out to 25 sec. Problem solved.

I'm feeling pretty good about it now. I'm going to try to get the 2 step setup, throw in the 3 bar MAP, 160# injectors, and retune.
Old 07-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bonnarls1
any news!!!!!!
FYI, this is not the build thread. Lol
Old 07-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Launching!

FYI, this is not the build thread. Lol
your a funny man
Old 07-22-2010, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Hey I was looking for a good starting cal and stumbled on your thread.

Hey I took a look at your cal and for some reason in the wizard shows the map sensor as a 2 bar.

Are you really trying to run a map based on a 3 bar sensor with a 2 bar sensor in the car. AEM messes up on stuff like this.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hostilegsx

Hey I took a look at your cal and for some reason in the wizard shows the map sensor as a 2 bar.

Are you really trying to run a map based on a 3 bar sensor with a 2 bar sensor in the car. AEM messes up on stuff like this.
Did you really post without reading the thread?
Old 07-22-2010, 07:59 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by hostilegsx

No. I am running a 2 bar map sensor with a 2 bar fuel and ignition map. not sure where you saw any 3 bar tables. I need to put in a 3 bar map and retune with with 3 bar table so I can turn the boost up over 15 psi. The stock 98 PCM is limited to 2 bar, so I was fudging the fueling table on that in order to run 19-20 psi that I needed in order to get into the 8's in the 1/4 mile. Hope that clears it up.

Quick Reply: AEM EMS on 370ci PT88 Turbo Setup