PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 PCM update to 2001 PCM

Old 07-26-2010, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 98 PCM update to 2001 PCM

OK, I know how much the 98 PCM's are hated by most everyome. They are limited, slower and have a much higher death rate. Everyone always tells us 98's to update the PCM, but instructions or help is all over the place. So What I would like to so is make a nice thread here to show/instruct us 98's how to and what we will need to update our 98's to a 2001 pcm. So please only post if you want to help, I don’t want this thread garbage up with fights and arguments.

I have a 98 that I will use as our test subject, which has already been converted from a 98 v6 to a full 98 ls1 with stock harnesses.

Parts I have on the way right now:
1.) 2001 Firebird PCM ID#12200411
2.) 2000 Stock Camaro engine Wiring harness equipped with 4l60E
3.) 2 pin 99+ LS1 temp sensor (the 98's have a 3 wire sensor)

I will need the part number for a 99+ camaro\firebird PCM plastic ecu holder/cradle. or link to an auction or if someone has one for sale.

I have hear that the fuel sytem is an issue with this swap, what it is I'm not sure I will look into it and report back. Lets see what we can figure out to get us updated.

Last edited by bigboykilroy; 07-26-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:34 AM
11 Second Club

Good Info as well:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...swap-faqs.html

Last edited by bigboykilroy; 07-26-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

yeah I did it once by repinning the connectors ... it was a major pita but worth it 'cos we were able to run the custom operating systems for boosted cars (2-bar MAP) after that. Will I do it again? nope .. lol, especially since I'm not in the modding buisness anymore
Old 07-26-2010, 11:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really not a big deal, definitely not the PITA it is described as above.

I like the 156 OS along with the fuel segment from an earlier Express van to get the fuel gauge working. I can provide the calibration and PCM if anyone is in need.

Here is a link that shows what needs to move where for re-wiring:
http://gmtuning.info/wiki/index.php/98PCM
Old 07-26-2010, 12:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by bigboykilroy
Frost could you send me the fuel segment that would be needed to get the fual gauge working? That would mean that i could keep the 98 fuel setup? Pump float etc?
Someone may post it, but I can't give away work and pay the bills; not trying to be ugly. It's a little more than just moving the segment to get the gauge work as well.

Now since I have a 2000 engine harness, cant I just install that on the engine, swap out the temp sensor and just repin out if needed the pass side under dash connector?
If you have a 2K harness there is nothing to repin and none of this is relevant save for the fuel segment swap.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

you lose the temp sender if you do not keep the 3 wire sender and add an additional wire for the 98 gauge cluster.

you can go to a 99 cluster and get around it, but that requires a harness swap and/or a repin of the harness connector.

The connectors near the BCM are not the same between 98 and 99-02 so some repinning is necesary there as well.

Ryan
Old 07-26-2010, 10:51 PM
11 Second Club

For those who have been looking here, is a auto and manual tune that has the correct van fuel segments in them for the 98 to newer pcm swap. It actually is just that easy, To make this conversion work you need to start with a 1999 up F-car tun file. The 2002 OS 12212156 (available from http://www.holdencrazy.com/) is a good choice for the base file. Then used the fuel segment from the 2002 Express Van OS 12212156. (available from http://www.holdencrazy.com/) Since the fuel tank and sender are different, then copied the fuel system parameters, fuel gauge calibration and Convert sender to volume tables back from the Camaro/Firebird base file. These files are thanks to EC_Tune
Attached Files
File Type: hpt
98_Fbody 4L60_3.23_W_02_PCM.hpt (459.7 KB, 268 views)
File Type: hpt
98_Fbody Manual_W_02_PCM.hpt (456.6 KB, 271 views)

Last edited by bigboykilroy; 07-27-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:50 AM
FormerVendor

It has to work that way. If it didn't, you could tune one car and then just load it's file to every other car you ever tune for free.

Just flash it onto a controller that you already have license for.

FWIW, your fuel gauge is most likely not going to work right with those files the way that they are posted. I just thought I'd let you know since you are looking at spending credits.
Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 PM
11 Second Club

Now why do you say that the gauge will not work?
As much as you hate the 98 pcm why dont you help us get off of it and on to a better platorm? is 125.00 really going to break you when we gotta spend 200 to write this file to get our stuff converted?
How about this, Ill read the entire new pcm i have, I will email you the tune. You can move your fuel segment files to it that will make it work, send it back to me and I will flash it. That way its done correct and you make a few bucks since you have stated that you dont work for free and everone elses tune that has the swap done is wrong in your mind.
I'm trying to help the 98 guys get off a limited system I dont mind donating my time and materials and experience to post up to make this as easy as possible and you are worried about making money. Really? there are more 99+ guys out there spending money, and you dont want to help us 98 guys graduate?

Last edited by bigboykilroy; 07-27-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:20 PM
FormerVendor

... and everone elses tune that has the swap done is wrong in your mind

It's not "wrong in my mind", I was just trying to help you.

I could (as could the most of the tuners here) just post the files for free, but I spent a lot of time figuring things out. You may find a tuner willing to do the work and then let you give it away here for everyone; I'm just not that guy.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 PM
11 Second Club

What help have you provided ? Really? You have provided no help to help sove the problem.
If you wanted to help you would tell us what is wrong in your opinion with the segment file.
Just saying its not going to work is not really helping, its actually like being more of a concided dick.
I'm glad that you are all about the money.
My God its a 98 segment swap to get on a newer pcm you act like you are giving away the world. Well i hope us minions who care to help each other out may inspire you on your high horse.
When I do figure it out I will post it up FREE for anybody to use. I dont care, if i can help 98's that want to do the swap get off the 98 and on to a 99 for better resolution and more features great. Karma will reward me later with other business. It always has.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:48 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

Wow, his business is tuning cars and you are ripping on him for not giving you the information for free? Either pay the man for his work or continue on and find it yourself and put your own effort into it.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

I did not ask for his paid help, I'm trying to put up a how to for the 98's so us people can just do the swap and start to enjoy the newer pcm's.
He just came in saying that work that we have already done isnt going to work, but doesnt give any pointers of where he thinks we went wrong.
He didnt say hey I think you have the gauge ouput table flipped its gonna read E at full.
Nothing.
If he wants to help great fine, but dont hold out cuz you wanna get paid for helping, we will figure it out in time.
When we do I will offer the proper config to anyone who may need it for free just to get them off that damn 98 platform.

Last edited by bigboykilroy; 07-27-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What help have you provided ? Really? You have provided no help to help sove the problem.
If you wanted to help you would tell us what is wrong in your opinion with the segment file.
Just saying its not going to work is not really helping, its actually like being more of a concided dick.
I'm glad that you are all about the money.
My God its a 98 segment swap to get on a newer pcm you act like you are giving away the world. Well i hope us minions who care to help each other out may inspire you on your high horse.
When I do figure it out I will post it up FREE for anybody to use. I dont care, if i can help 98's that want to do the swap get off the 98 and on to a 99 for better resolution and more features great. Karma will reward me later with other business. It always has.
this is a good man here!! i also own a 98 and was thinking of changing over..
Old 07-27-2010, 08:37 PM
7 Second Club

Received 283 Likes on 187 Posts

I did not ask for his paid help, I'm trying to put up a how to for the 98's so us people can just do the swap and start to enjoy the newer pcm's.
He just came in saying that work that we have already done isnt going to work, but doesnt give any pointers of where he thinks we went wrong.
He didnt say hey I think you have the gauge ouput table flipped its gonna read E at full.
Nothing.
If he wants to help great fine, but dont hold out cuz you wanna get paid for helping, we will figure it out in time.
When we do I will offer the proper config to anyone who may need it for free just to get them off that damn 98 platform.
Originally Posted by NicD
Wow, his business is tuning cars and you are ripping on him for not giving you the information for free? Either pay the man for his work or continue on and find it yourself and put your own effort into it.
Congrats on putting forth the effort to do your own research and then giving it away for free but don't chastise somebody for not doing the same when it puts food on the table... and actually he did help a bit by posting up the how-to on the wiring mods required and what OS/fuel segment you should run. After all, he is a sponsor that pays the forum to advertise his services.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
11 Second Club

I thought this was a fourm of people who love cars and love to work on them. Not for "sponsors" to seek us out and sell us. Lets help each other out like peole do at the track. I love knowledge and i love to share it with people, one mind is great but several minds is even more powerful.

Ok lets get back to the subject. How to swap out the 98pcm for a 99+

I have some calls out to people with tunercats and efi live to see what we can figure out to test these segments, with out having to burn hp tuners credits.

Any people that want to share their complete 98 to 99+ swap story please share.
Old 07-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Frost
Someone may post it, but I can't give away work and pay the bills; not trying to be ugly. It's a little more than just moving the segment to get the gauge work as well.
Ok you need to swap the segment, copy the tables back in and reverse one of them. I timed it, it took less then 4 minutes. Or if you're using HPT, you send the files to Bill and he gets it done for you, and it takes you no time at all, except the wait for your file to come back, and I heard of guys claiming to get them back the same day.

If you have a 2K harness there is nothing to repin and none of this is relevant save for the fuel segment swap.
Really, then how is the fuel gauge going to get its signal on the 98 cluster, because it needs an input from the PCM, since it doesn't go up the class 2 data buss.

I looked at the Fuel Segments on those files, they're scaled slightly differant, then I have mine set, but they should work, the way they are, if the gauge is slightlu off, nobody notices anyway

Last edited by poconojoe; 07-27-2010 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:17 PM
FormerVendor

I thought this was a fourm of people who love cars and love to work on them. Not for "sponsors" to seek us out and sell us. Lets help each other out like peole do at the track. I love knowledge and i love to share it with people, one mind is great but several minds is even more powerful.....

You are able to post and share because the sponsors pay for the board in order to advertise. Do you go into McDonalds and yell at them because they want you to pay for a McMuffin?

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Ok you need to swap the segment, copy the tables back in and reverse one of them. I timed it, it took less then 4 minutes. Or if you're using HPT, you send the files to Bill and he gets it done for you, and it takes you no time at all, except the wait for your file to come back, and I heard of guys claiming to get them back the same day.
Hey Joe,

Let me quote what I posted a few spaces up. Just imagine I am saying it more slowly.

I could (as could the most of the tuners here) just post the files for free, but I spent a lot of time figuring things out. ....
Besides that, THIS is how I pay my bills. Why don't you guys tell your bosses that you'd like to help out this week and you don't want any pay for your work and time. Also, you should be fine when he demands it of you.

Originally Posted by poconojoe
Really, then how is the fuel gauge going to get its signal on the 98 cluster, because it needs an input from the PCM, since it doesn't go up the class 2 data buss.

I looked at the Fuel Segments on those files, they're scaled slightly differant, then I have mine set, but they should work, the way they are, if the gauge is slightlu off, nobody notices anyway
The wire is listed in the link. The vast majority of them (as noted by OP) will have the gauge driven backwards if the cal above is used and the volume will be incorrect.

Have fun in here guys.
Old 07-27-2010, 11:36 PM
11 Second Club

Who is yelling? No one.
You wanted to be a sponsor, being one or not still give you the ability like everyone else to share and help. You just get the privilege to solicit business.
I’m not demanding of anyone to give up information, people love to bitch at us 98’s telling us how old, slow and crappy our pcm’s are. Well I’m trying to do something about it to help us out. It just seems very smug of someone to say “that’s not going to work” knowing allegedly how to fix it (so you claim) and not say anything because you’re not being compensated.
You make it sound like it’s the hardest thing in the world to move a segment. That you were the one who figures out the mystery of the 98 swap.
Many things we all know about our cars, tuning and stuff is from someone sharing their knowledge with us and letting us explore and experiment, making those idea better.
If you want to help correct the gauge is cool thanks, but if you don’t want to share because you’re not being paid then fine stay out of our thread.
Yes I work plenty of overtime for my boss and not get paid. Welcome to salary.
If the gauge operates backward then we will reverse the table, or whatever needs to be done. We will figure it out and we will post it and distribute it for FREE for all the 98’s to use to get off the platform.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

PoconoJoe is right. I have been through the whole thing on a retrofit with a 98 harness. If you want the emissions stuff to work you need to have the fuel gauge to the PCM. For the 98 gauge to work you then need to have the wire back to the dash or pick up a 99+ dash depending on which way you want to go. Personally I think the gauges on the 98 are better since they are wired and not through the data bus. The segment swap for the 411 tune is no biggie the Vortec guys have been doing it for a long time now and they have the info. You will have to reverse the gauge tables to get the gauge to read correctly since the fuel sender runs backwards on the vans. If you don't care about emissions an easy way would be to take the gauge wire from the tank and wire it directly to the gauge for the 98. I did that on a retrofit and it works perfectly fine but you will have to tune out the error codes for the evap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 98 PCM update to 2001 PCM