Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hptuners bin question

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hptuners bin question

Am I doing something wrong? I found a bin that looked close enough to my setup to give me a starting point. I downloaded and tried to view, but hp says I have to license it to view. Seems like a waste. This is my first tune, and I could use any help I can get.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:13 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely not recommended to use someone elses tune in your vehicle.
Old 08-25-2010, 05:18 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the great world of HP amd their wau of licensing.
When you go to open the file the boxs open to ask about licensing, tell it "no thanks",
Then open your stock tune as the compare file
Then look at the differances between the 2 files, by clicking on "view comparision log"
It will give you a good idea on what to change to tune your vehicle

Glad to see Bill was a great help here, but he is sort of correct about not using somebody else's tune, since you don't know if they hacked it, but the compare feature, should let you see the changes they made.
There is also an import calibration or module feature in some of the tuning software, I'm not sure if HPT has it or not, with a quick view of thier menus, I didn't see it, but I don't normally use HPT, since I've upgraded to another program
Old 08-25-2010, 06:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks Pocono. I'm wasn't planning on using the tune. I have a repair and performance shop in Ohio. This is my first solo with a modern motor. I've been installing pro chargers and other bolt ons for years. This car will be tuned on my Dyno. That is why I'm using my personal vehicle to learn on. I just wanted to be able to reference a few other tunes to give me an idea to start, especially for idle.
Old 08-25-2010, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

You can view any file just say No thanks to licensing it. You can not save any changes you make to that file though without licensing it. Pretty much consider it read only. The compare differences option is nice and you can also copy differences to a licensed file if you want to.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Just to add to above, you don't have to license it until you flash it into your car. You can view, compare, and change all you want, though.
Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys, all is well.I appreciate the quick response. Just getting familiar with the program.
Old 08-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ramairJP
Just to add to above, you don't have to license it until you flash it into your car. You can view, compare, and change all you want, though.
But you also can't save it, until you license it, so what good is making changes
Old 08-26-2010, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by poconojoe
But you also can't save it, until you license it, so what good is making changes
You are not helping the OP and he already bought the program so go bark up someone elses tree. Nobody cares that you feel EFI is better.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flame
You are not helping the OP and he already bought the program so go bark up someone elses tree. Nobody cares that you feel EFI is better.
First of all you're the one bringing up EFI, not me, so get your head back down from where the light doesn't shine and join the real world. I use all 3 of the common tuning programs, so I do know which is best. I'm willing to bet you don't, since you use the package, made simple enough, so even a blind monkey could use it. They all have the pros and cons. Where did I tell him to change, to something better, or even change at all? I like all you losers, that as soon as somebody finds a fault or lack of feature in your beloved software, you get your butt in an uproar.
So explain to the OP, what good are doing the changes to the tune, if you can't save the file?
Don't try saying, you could then copy the changes to his file and save it, since that would have no advantage.
By the way nobody cares that you're normally wrong either
Old 08-26-2010, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mod11
Thanks Pocono. I'm wasn't planning on using the tune. I have a repair and performance shop in Ohio. This is my first solo with a modern motor. I've been installing pro chargers and other bolt ons for years. This car will be tuned on my Dyno. That is why I'm using my personal vehicle to learn on. I just wanted to be able to reference a few other tunes to give me an idea to start, especially for idle.
I admire your strategy but I hope you don't need to start on the idle system. Because of the impact on emissions, idle systems are very complex. Tuning idle is mostly trial and error. Fortunately, idle system changes are not needed for most cams small enough to pass emissions tests. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Glad to see PJ is still making friends...

Mod11 what are you looking to tune on this car? Heads cam? Procharger?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:45 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NoGo
Glad to see PJ is still making friends...

Mod11 what are you looking to tune on this car? Heads cam? Procharger?
You still pissed because you didn't make the cut?
I have enough friends and it doesn't include any of you crybabies
Old 08-26-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Yes, I'm sure your magnetic personality has made you very popular outside of this site.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary Z
I admire your strategy but I hope you don't need to start on the idle system. Because of the impact on emissions, idle systems are very complex. Tuning idle is mostly trial and error. Fortunately, idle system changes are not needed for most cams small enough to pass emissions tests. Good luck.
California is really strict on stuff, but the op is in ohio. For the most part I have found that if you can make the idle stable, it's not very difficult to make it clean...if you can make it stable and can't pass idle emissions, it might very well be beyond tuning to smog friendly status...there's always a trick or 2 though .

Quick Reply: Hptuners bin question