PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with high idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cold (ambient) start it in the morning and log it. I only see 176 degrees and a little over 2 minutes of data.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got it done, I'll go log it right now. Thanks for the help, I really want to not only fix it but understand what needs to be fixed, if you know what I mean. I spent hours looking at guides, writeups, the help file, etc. And still don't really get how to affect a change towards what I want to do.

EDIT: Just logged it for 10 minutes after changing my alternator.... and now its perfect? Not a hiccup the entire run. I'm going to have to drive it and see if it does anything after I move the car.

Last edited by Arc00TA; 09-08-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here we go. First log is cold to fully warm, I then drove around my block and came back, and it started acting up again. I logged only a few seconds of that because its the same no matter how long it sits there. I did jab the gas one time, and it takes forever for it to come back down.
Attached Files
File Type: hpl
coldstart2.hpl (69.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: hpl
afterdrive.hpl (5.3 KB, 98 views)
Old 09-09-2010, 03:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to log with your stock throttle body attatched. Sounds to me like the throttle body got a little to ported because your IAC shouldn't be 0 at your proper idle. So something is amiss there. If you put your stocker back on and you see 40~90 counts, you know your problem.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
You need to log with your stock throttle body attatched. Sounds to me like the throttle body got a little to ported because your IAC shouldn't be 0 at your proper idle. So something is amiss there. If you put your stocker back on and you see 40~90 counts, you know your problem.

Yes, it is fine with the stock one I already tried that and checked the log, it runs between 45-75. So basically there is no way to compensate for it?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
X2.
There is something wrong with the new TB as you are getting too much idle air.
Have you tried backing off the throttle stop to close the blade more at idle?
Has the "Porting" job gone too far & affected the clearance between the throttle blade & body?
Is the throttle cable too tight?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Arc00TA
Yes, it is fine with the stock one I already tried that and checked the log, it runs between 45-75. So basically there is no way to compensate for it?
Once your IAC pegs at 0 you have no more control over idle. Fix the mechanical issue first which is causing excessive idle air.
Old 09-09-2010, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.7 ute
Once your IAC pegs at 0 you have no more control over idle. Fix the mechanical issue first which is causing excessive idle air.
Ok, this is still confusing me so if you could explain.

Start car: cold to fully warm idle is GREAT flat at 800 IAC at 0

Drive car: Now it surges at idle and won't come under 1000rpm with fluctuating IAC

Why the change after the car has driven?

The throttle stop is all the way in. I actually checked by covering the IAC port and the throttle blade hole and the car stalls. It is not getting air around the blade. Its a pretty popular throttle body so I don't see that it would have gotten over-ported.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:24 PM
11 Second Club

Ok, this is still confusing me so if you could explain.

Start car: cold to fully warm idle is GREAT flat at 800 IAC at 0

Drive car: Now it surges at idle and won't come under 1000rpm with fluctuating IAC

Why the change after the car has driven?

The throttle stop is all the way in. I actually checked by covering the IAC port and the throttle blade hole and the car stalls. It is not getting air around the blade. Its a pretty popular throttle body so I don't see that it would have gotten over-ported.
There is a "lost IAC" logic in the PCM that may be tripping when you go for a drive. I cant view your files as I dont have HPT, but the issue is not tune related anyway.
You say that when you block the iac port the motor stalls. Yet with the iac at 0 it doesnt. This shows that the problem is in the IAC pintle/seat area as 0 steps should close the passage.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a "lost IAC" logic in the PCM that may be tripping when you go for a drive. I cant view your files as I dont have HPT, but the issue is not tune related anyway.
You say that when you block the iac port the motor stalls. Yet with the iac at 0 it doesnt. This shows that the problem is in the IAC pintle/seat area as 0 steps should close the passage.
Well, I guess theres not much to do than swap the stock TB back in. What a waste of money. Everyone so highly recommend ported TB, so I was hoping for something that didn't suck so bad

Thanks for the help guys, gonna dump the ported one and be done with it.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Well, I guess theres not much to do than swap the stock TB back in. What a waste of money. Everyone so highly recommend ported TB, so I was hoping for something that didn't suck so bad

Thanks for the help guys, gonna dump the ported one and be done with it.
Is there a hole in the ported TB blade?
If there is try taping over this hole first. You may be able to work around the problem.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is there a hole in the ported TB blade?
If there is try taping over this hole first. You may be able to work around the problem.
The original blade had a hole drilled bigger than stock. I swapped the stock blade in and it dropped about 300 rpm. I already put the stocker back on, I say screw it. My old T/A made 425rwhp just fine through a stock TB, I was just hoping to pick up some easy ponies this time around.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I found the cause of the problem today. It has started surging even with the stock TB on. I started my teardown for my turbo build, and the whole bottom panel of my BBK intake was off. All of the screws backed out and were sitting on the valley cover. So, high idle solved.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:02 PM
9 Second Club

the whole bottom panel of my BBK intake was off. All of the screws backed out and were sitting on the valley cover.
Second time I've heard of that happening... guess they don't locktite them...
Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLK02WS6
Second time I've heard of that happening... guess they don't locktite them...
I had one on my old car never had a problem. Definitely didn't expect it. The MAP sensor bolt came out too so that was just dangling.