PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner wants to drill a hole in my TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:42 AM
7 Second Club

Received 301 Likes on 201 Posts

At higher altitudes or even with bigger cubic inch motors with aggressive cams it's very possible to need to open the blade more than what is allowed before you run into positive throttle position readings before the IAC counts get in range. Yes I know about resetting the TPS to 0 when changing the blade angle but unless you can change what the max voltage is that registers as 0 on the TPS readings then you get to drill to allow more air in. Nobody can say that drilling is not the answer nor can you say that will fix this particular problem.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:11 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

yeah.. unfortunately you cant go past a certain voltage on an ls1 motor.,.. basically you cant go past 0.55v on the closed TB voltage before it will no longer reset to 0.

once you get to that point.. if you still dont have enough air.. then your only option is to drill a hole...

unfortunately on many cars this equates to a 230ish cam being the limit of what you can run and not have to drill...

big cams need more air at idle and need a 2nd hole or the first hole made bigger.

once you get your IAC to be in the 60ish range at hot idle with the Fans off and AC off... then you should be fin at idle.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soundengineer
yeah.. unfortunately you cant go past a certain voltage on an ls1 motor.,.. basically you cant go past 0.55v on the closed TB voltage before it will no longer reset to 0.

once you get to that point.. if you still dont have enough air.. then your only option is to drill a hole...

unfortunately on many cars this equates to a 230ish cam being the limit of what you can run and not have to drill...

big cams need more air at idle and need a 2nd hole or the first hole made bigger.

once you get your IAC to be in the 60ish range at hot idle with the Fans off and AC off... then you should be fin at idle.
Why can't you slot the TPS sensor holes? It seems as long as you can "clock" it back the computer would never know.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The GM diagnostics is for less than .60 volts. .47-.57 is usually a good target.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:07 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoCal01z28
Why can't you slot the TPS sensor holes? It seems as long as you can "clock" it back the computer would never know.
You could, but then you also run into going past the area of the bore of the TB that closely follows the blade for smooth off idle transitions.
Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 PM
11 Second Club

He said clock the TPS, not going too far with the TB screw, big difference.

I have seen TPS sensors not perfect and also aftermarket TB's with the settings all screwed up, sometimes you have to adjust both to get them to work right.

Just don't get stupid with it.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:46 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 69LT1Bird
He said clock the TPS, not going too far with the TB screw, big difference.

I have seen TPS sensors not perfect and also aftermarket TB's with the settings all screwed up, sometimes you have to adjust both to get them to work right.

Just don't get stupid with it.
Yes I know but the point of slotting the TPS in this instance would be to allow the TB to crack open even further. From what I have seen on a lot of the TBs once you get to the point of where the PCM will read positive throttle position the TB is cracked open pretty far as it is and is near the edge of that lip. Of course on aftermarket TBs sometimes it's necessary to get it to read correctly but not on most of them.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So why is that better than a bigger hole. Just a different way to get air into the motor but not through the IAC. Why is one better than the other? Both accomplish the same thing. Other than being veversable. But I have made bigger holes in blades smaller when a car was brought to me with too large a hole so you can't say that is not reversable. Just not as easy as turning a screw.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:57 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
So why is that better than a bigger hole. Just a different way to get air into the motor but not through the IAC. Why is one better than the other? Both accomplish the same thing. Other than being veversable.
Because it retains the factory smooth off-idle performance of having that sweep of the blade across the tight bore of the TB and not too close to the open ridge or past it. My point was to the people who post up find a new tuner if they have to drill the TB like they have any idea what they are talking about or what the specific situation calls for. There are many different possibilities each with their own merit.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

My point was to the people that say opening the blade with the set screw is better than a larger hole.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NicD
Because it retains the factory smooth off-idle performance of having that sweep of the blade across the tight bore of the TB and not too close to the open ridge or past it. My point was to the people who post up find a new tuner if they have to drill the TB like they have any idea what they are talking about or what the specific situation calls for. There are many different possibilities each with their own merit.
This is over your head! I am sorry

I don't want to go into it really I don't, but WOW

Today I ran a cars TPS voltage up to 1.01V and Cycled the key at that point. The TPS angle was 0% after I cycled the key. It Auto Zeroed.

It doesn't matter how you get the air past the blade to get it to idle to a point.
The problem with the hole in the blade is that when the angle of the throttle blade changes the air doesn't flow through the hole at the same amount. Can you follow that. Some throttle blades come from the factoring with a hole.

Most Calibrations have 185+ IAC parameters that I can edit.
You need the airflow and the IAC parameters tuned properly. If you have HPT well you are missing most of the parameters so you will need to try to make it work how ever you can.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by got-a-ls1
what missing parameters in hptuners would allow this problem to be solved ?
Most Calibrations have 185+ IAC parameters that I can edit.
You need the airflow and the IAC parameters tuned properly. If you have HPT well you are missing most of the parameters so you will need to try to make it work how ever you can.

Thats about all I will say about that
Old 09-22-2010, 06:33 PM
7 Second Club

LOL yeah I get it you have access to tables that mere mortals don't. I know that HPT doesn't have all the IAC tables which is why I said there are many ways to make it work and each have their own merit.

I know that as the blade changes it obviously doesn't flow at the same amount through the hole but it is so minute at the lower throttle positions I can't see the affect in any positive/negative light. I just prefer to have the blade be lower in the bore so when I barely touch the gas it doesn't jump as hard and is "smoother".
Old 09-22-2010, 06:51 PM
11 Second Club

I know that as the blade changes it obviously doesn't flow at the same amount through the hole but it is so minute at the lower throttle positions I can't see the affect in any positive/negative light. I just prefer to have the blade be lower in the bore so when I barely touch the gas it doesn't jump as hard and is "smoother".
X2
And if that 0.001g/sec difference in airflow through the hole due to blade angle change is a hinderance you have a throttle follower table to calibrate.
Some hairs really dont need splitting IMO.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by CalEditor

Today I ran a cars TPS voltage up to 1.01V and Cycled the key at that point. The TPS angle was 0% after I cycled the key. It Auto Zeroed.
And if you are saying it will stay at 0% with that TPS voltage then you are full of it. But I kind of already knew that.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:22 PM
Launching!

LOL yeah I get it you have access to tables that mere mortals don't. I know that HPT doesn't have all the IAC tables which is why I said there are many ways to make it work and each have their own merit.

I agree with this guy. There is nothing wrong at all with drilling a hole in the throttle plate or making the stock one bigger. I do it all the time. You are better off to keep the throttle plate as far closed as possible for the reasons stated above and also to keep the throttle plate from shrouding the IAC exit port on the 90mm+ throttle bodies.

I reccomend for people to get the hot IAC counts to around 100 by drilling the throttle plate. Then use the adjustment screw as a fine adjust to get down to 50-60. That way you don't drill the hole too big.

You guys telling him to get a new tuner are just completely wrong
Old 09-22-2010, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Today I ran a cars TPS voltage up to 1.01V
One of your million tables should tell you that you run the risk of entering a different fueling table and its not the idle part of the system.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

My tuner, a sponsor on here, drilled my TB. It wasnt enough, he said the IAC passageway was small on BBK throttle bodies. I drilled it out and its great now. It would hunt for idle before.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a little update. Car threw code p1153 today and went into closed loop. It used to throw this way back when until I had it turned off in the tune. I just replaced the o2 sensors but I guess we will have to turn it off on this tune also.

As far as drilling the hole in the tb, I'm not going to do it. Mainly because I will eventually be selling this for the 102mm and it will be easier to sell without the hole. So I'm just going to ask the guy to get it as close as possible and just deal for now.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:56 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

this site is always useful to me...
http://www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic9120.php

likely your o2's dont have enough heat due to longtubes and cam overlap...

I just commented on this to somebody over on HP Tuners Forum earlier today..
Originally Posted by soundengineer
its an o2 heater issue..
basically you arent getting enough heat or you are getting too much heat to the o2's, and then they dont switch properly... usually its not enough heat at idle causing this code

3 options
1) try to find an o2 that has a better heater element - most of the time this does not solve the issue
2) go open loop at idle, basically using PE table to command 1.0 at idle and PE TPS table to command 0 TPS to get into PE at idle
3) use a wideband that can send out a simulated narrowband signal to the PCM - Innovate LC1/LM1/LM2 are the only ones that do it. FAST makes one that can send out a 0~1v signal, but its linear and not a narrowband sweep so it doesnt work well on anything OBD2

I am personally using #3
I use an LM2 connected to a relay, power from battery all the time, relay gets 12v when Ignition key is turned to the On Position, which in turn, powers up the LM2
the LM2 is a dual wideband with seperate output channels, both can be set up as wideband outputs or narrowband outputs.
I have mine set to both be narrowband outputs. they both go to the factory harness where the narrow band o2's normally connect
I just cut my factory 02 sensors off of their cable and spliced it to the outputs of the LM2 cable.
since the wideband has a much better heater, it doesnt have the problems the stock style narrowbands have.

Quick Reply: Tuner wants to drill a hole in my TB