PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner wants to drill a hole in my TB

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Scott, I figured it was something like that. These new o2s are working alot better than the old stockers.

Today we took another shot at tuning the car without drilling. Opened the tb blade as far as it would go and still read zero on the tps. It caused a lot of idle hanging but alot less idle searching. So the tuner made some more adjustments to the follower and cracker tables and backed off the tb blade a bit. Now it's alot better than before. Sometimes it will hang at 1500rpms but I gotta get out and drive some more tomorrow to really get an idea of its manners.

The car does idle search still if I drive a specific way. That is when down shifting to high rpms (ex 3500rpms) and then clutching to idle. The car is loading up on the fuel while on decel then when I clutch it's got all that extra fuel to deal with and it stumbles then searches. Tuner mentioned that he couldn't do anything about that because of my cam profile. Guess I just gotta go easy on my car lol.

Funny thing is the car drives friggin great while the AC is on!
Old 09-25-2010, 04:49 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tuner can lean out the decel.
Old 09-26-2010, 05:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have done this with roller cammed engines drilled holes in the butterflies so the engine can get more air with out any thing trying to meter it if you open the throttle the ecm will read the TPS and fatten/richen the system ....The bigger the cam the less vacum
Old 09-30-2010, 08:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Datzneat
I understand the part about not getting enough air. But aren't the parameters that you can set to change that in the tune? Also couldn't we get the same results by setting that screw on the tb that changes the rest angle of the blade?

So four new tuner recomendations and one other. lol

Hopefully frost or some of the other knowledgeable tuner guys puts in their two cents.
What kind of throttle body do you have? I just got tuned by Frost last week and I have a Fast 92mm throttle body and I think he said something about some passageway being too small, and it was smaller than stock. I have a hole in my throttle body and I think he said the Fast 92mm throttle body needs a hole. I would private message him or email him just to make sure!
Old 10-01-2010, 12:53 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't really make any full on blanket statements about drilling. If it has to happen, it's on a per-case basis. It usually does not. The BBK doesn't even HAVE a hole (but I hate that turd in general anyway ).

Quick Reply: Tuner wants to drill a hole in my TB