PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holley Dominator EFI on LSX Platform

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had many issues with stock pcms in the past. At the end of the day, the more you move away from stock stuff in your car, the more issues you are likely to encounter. GM put alot of thought into the entire package. So yes, there are some initial bugs to work thru but the end result has it's benefits.

Please also note that unlike many other build threads, I include the issues and problems. I think some people's egos are too big to mention this stuff, specially when problems stem from user error.
Old 11-28-2010, 09:45 AM
Restricted User

Joe's car is almost done so we will be putting the other Holley HP in it with in the next week. This car's wiring is stock including the relays and everything. We aren't doing anything else with the system until then in order to isolate if the problems that we have been having with the hardware are exclusive to Steve's car. We are hoping that the drive-by-wire being activated was causing the issues. We hope to be getting the updated Dominator in for Steve's car within the next week or so. Should have more info shortly.
Old 11-28-2010, 10:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
I've had many issues with stock pcms in the past. At the end of the day, the more you move away from stock stuff in your car, the more issues you are likely to encounter. GM put alot of thought into the entire package. So yes, there are some initial bugs to work thru but the end result has it's benefits.

Please also note that unlike many other build threads, I include the issues and problems. I think some people's egos are too big to mention this stuff, specially when problems stem from user error.
i am the same way, people cant learn if they cant see the mistakes that are made, or problems that happen, weather its self induced or hardware issues.

i like all your threads, and tend to read them, even if they dont pertain to me.

keep chipping away at it. Im sure once its done, it will have been well worth it.

maybe in the future ill go this route, im currently looking for a roller of some kind to make a car from. I dont want a camaro or mustang. over done IMO.

but from what ive been reading, IF, i go with an aftermarket ECM, ill likely go this route.

thanks for the thread, and keep it up.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Veteran

any updates??
Old 12-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Restricted User

Let me start off by saying that everyone involved, from Dennis @ Moore's Racecraft to Doug @ Holley, has stood behind this thing every step of the way. Dennis answers his phone at all hours and Doug has been baby sitting the entire thing thru and even overnighted the computers to us on Holley's dime.

We got the replacement ECU's today. Steve hooked up the Dominator and everything seemed to work well with the Dominator plugged in and it sitting on the passenger side floor board. We were satisfied that everything was ok and went ahead and mounted it. Went to start it up and sure as ****, the fuel pump would cut out intermittently just like the other one was doing and the car wouldn't start. That's when it hit us that this last problem only seemed to pop up when the ecu was mounted. Apparently the case does not like to be grounded. We got to thinking about it and the BS3 came with rubber standoff's and the stock computer sits in a plastic tray and you bolt the tray down. Steve ordered some isolators from the local speed shop. Now we can get down to the business of tuning. Might even get LS2Formula down the track for some WOT tuning.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Is that not in the instructions?

I would think that if grounding the case would affect it in this way they would isolate the circuit boards from the case.

Good find, thanks for sharing it.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:49 PM
KFK
On The Tree

Thank you. Its little (or not so little) things like that-- That will drive anybody nuts. I have seen whole projects given up on for less. Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Restricted User

Track outing was no good. We got unloaded and took it out on the main road out in front of the track to do some quick hits before running it down the track. The last time it went lean by about 6K RPM and suddenly shut off and then came back alive once he let off the throttle. Went back to the track and said **** it and tried to make a pass. Did the burn out. Got up on the 2 step/transbrake to about 3500 RPM with no boost controller at 2-3 psi of boost and everything was perfect until about 80' out. Cooked the ECU. I held off on posting because we were going to the PRI Show friday and we wanted to meet with Doug and Dennis in person. We also wanted to get the chance to try some other things with the wiring in Joe's car.

Interesting points to note. Steve did some tests as previously suggested in the thread. One thing that is for sure is that the case of the ECU is not a ground as the internal circuitry is isolated. So we aren't clear what exactly it is that the isolators that Steve installed are doing but it for sure wouldn't work without them. At the time that we discovered this, we had the block grounded to the chassis only. Doug was insistent about having a dedicated ground running from block to battery. So Steve was running a 4gauge ground home run wire from block to battery at the track. Since then I have gotten 3 pictures of cars with rear mounted batteries from the factory with only a single chassis ground to the battery. This includes Steve's stock 2010 Camaro SS.

The other problem that has been ongoing is the issue with the gauges doing random full sweeps. They say that the 2 problems aren't related but we were able to narrow that issue down to a signal that is coming from the ECU or atleast being transmitted over that one wire as Steve hooked the gauges power and ground to another battery that was doing nothing else and sitting outside of the car. We did this with Joe's car last night and only had the one gauge hooked.

We are going to take Joe's car out later tonight to see if we can get some clean pulls out of it as it has a completely fresh HP ECU that we plugged in for the first time last night with the wiring exactly how Doug and Dennis requested it. I'll have more news tonight.

Last edited by 98Z28CobraKiller; 12-13-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:02 PM
TECH Resident

Ive got to admit Carlos, you guys put in your time and effort to get these cars right. All the guys local think its just magic.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Jesus the PCM cooked itself? You're making me want to just do a 7531 box and a carb more and more...
Old 12-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Restricted User

By cooked I mean that it wont work correctly. It's not shorting out, smoking or catching on fire.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:10 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I hear cooked... I'm thinking smoke. Still sounds like it's fighting ya, and it shouldn't be unless it has something to do with that bird's nest under the dash
Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I hear cooked... I'm thinking smoke.
That's funny!!
Old 12-12-2010, 11:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Non-resistor plugs can cause some similarly strange, seemingly location based issues such as this, but not the cooked part!
Old 12-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Great information here.
I was considering the Holley dominator system for my swap.
Old 12-24-2010, 01:41 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates on this? I was looking at bs3 setups earlier at work for a future build. After seeing the 5k pricce tag, dai, dae, 16 injector, egt, etc... I started trying to think of alternatives.
Old 12-24-2010, 08:43 AM
Restricted User

We are pretty sure that we got it all worked out. I'll have some details soon once we can verify some results. Stopped posting a play by play as it was getting counter productive for a bit. More so on Yellowbullet than over here. But stay tuned.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:38 PM
On The Tree

So how to you like the Holley Dominator EFI so far?
I am building a Turbo charged (TBD) with Meth inj... 370" iron 6.0L with PRC stage 2.5 ported 317 heads, Edelbrock Pro-flo intake, 90mm DBW TB, 80#, LS9 camshaft, 4L80E trans with a 9" rear (gears TBD) in a 67 Nova...

so my question is.....

Should I go with the holley dominator setup? What all is needed? Price...
Seems like a good setup if I can control wastegates and methanol kit..
I want to be able to control my autotrans...

or should I go with a GM performance parts stand alone setup such as ...

http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...P2220C242.aspx
then get a tuner suite such as HP tuners or LS1edit, etc..

do I still need to get some trans controller for the GM standalone?
Old 03-13-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

is this thread dead? i amin the market right now for something to control my twin turbo build. i think the HP will fit the bill however i dont want to have to deal with all this. vendors chime in on recent news with the holley dominator and HP systems.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

im interested in the holley hp ecm also. i would like to know if they are worth it

Quick Reply: Holley Dominator EFI on LSX Platform