Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

any updates?
Old 10-17-2011, 10:14 AM
Staging Lane

Are there any updates on the Holley setup? This thread has died!!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:30 PM
9 Second Club

I'll start up a thread soon. I just got the last part today (main harness). Once I get back on the car this weekend I should be able to make some good progress.

Frank
Old 10-17-2011, 09:41 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry guys, I don't get over to this section much so I have been posting in mine and LS2Formula's build threads over in the FI section. So allow me to give a quick synopsis of just the Holley portion of things. But first let me start with why I haven't been able to give personal results.

When we first put the system in the car, I was down for a rebuild due to what I thought was just a bent crank. We put the system in at that time and I tried putting my motor back together on the cheap. As it turns out, the reason that I bent the crank was because a cap walked or I stretched a main bolt as I was running stock main bolts. So when I threw it back together with another stock crank and new bearings without checking the line bore, I didn't identify the root problem and I ended up with the same problem shortly after. Then the hot weather came and I moved to a new place and the car sat parked with low oil pressure on the back burner. So that's why there hasn't been much info on my car in the last 6 months or so.

Now, this does not mean that we haven't continued to work with the Holley as we have 3 other vehicles running on the system right now including mine which is back together and on a forged crank with ARP main studs, a new cap and a fresh align bore. The one major issue that we had with the Holley system in the beginning was that the stock coils seemed to be back feeding big voltage to the ECU and killing them under boost. The short term fix for this was to run the Holley coils. The down side to the Holley coils is that 4 coils fire 8 cylinders. That means 2 cylinders per coil which means wasted spark and you lose the ability to do individual cylinder timing.

Here is a picture of mine on the motor mounted to some custom aluminium plates that a friend made for me on his plasma table.

We have had Steve (LS2Formula) on the system running well for some time now and he has been 7.87 @ 180+ in the 1/4. He just upgraded to PT7675's and we are looking to see even better times very soon.

Our next little project with Holley is testing the new Boost control. We should have that up and running very soon on BonnarLS2's car and mine. Holley is trying to offer 2 options for control. One being commanded "dome" pressure much like the top of the line AMS controllers and the other being commanded actual boost which is extremely difficult to accomplish due to all the variables. They are confident that their testing in the lab on the dome pressure control will translate to great real world results for us. They are still working on the other as I have it understood. Should have more info on this soon.

It is important to note that through the entire process, Holley and more specifically, Doug Flynn, have provided us with unparalleled support and access to hardware.

If there are any specifics that you guys want to ask, go ahead and I will answer to the best of my abilities. Please note that we (our group of friends) do not sell anything so we have no real vested interest or agenda here.

Last edited by 98Z28CobraKiller; 10-18-2011 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So which is the more dependable system? BS3 or Holley?

Quick Reply: Holley Dominator EFI on LSX Platform