Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E-85 and n/a tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default E-85 and n/a tuning

Is there an advantage running E-85 on an n/a engine? Ive only messed w/ it boosted applications.

If so what are you increasing the timing to? What is too much?

My setup - 99 vette rebuilt LS1, ported heads, 42# injectors, headers, 224R cam 112, M6.

When I built this I had an extra set of 42# injectors I used in the event I run it on E-85.

If there are any gains in HP via tuning it to E-85 what is the average HP increase on say a 400whp combo?

Just debating if its even worth it.

Thanks.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

?????
Old 10-09-2010, 02:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are solid gains to be had tuning for E85 in N/A applications. I've never had the opportunity to use the fuel myself but I know other guys that have with strong results. Timing is of course dependent on the individual application so it would be incredibly naive to give a number as gospel. But look for around 6-9deg more im told.

This from Willall Racing on an 6L L98 and keep in mind the dyno's used in Aus read lower than the ones in the USA so you can realistically amplify the results listed here for Happy Dyno's. Fuel octane is rated differently too. Regard our 98 as your 93 and multiply the kilowatt readings here by 1.34 for old school HP
Old 10-09-2010, 12:51 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on your static compression. I recently converted to E85 on my TA and it definitely runs stronger, though I need to hit the track to confirm. I'm at 11.7 CR.
Old 10-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will shed some light on this

Back in 1990 Greg Biffle walked into the shop looking for some insight on adding Oxygen into fuel.
WTF?
Nitrous is adding dense Oxygen into the intake system.
Alcohol is adding Oxygen into the Fuel System. That would be illegal in competition.
Maybe a Peroxide in the fuel system?

When I start talking about Ethanol I remember that day with Greg.

Most of the reason that you need to change the AFR when running Ethanol is that Ethanol contains pure Oxygen.

Anytime you can introduce pure oxygen into the engine you will make more Horsepower just like Nitrous does.

If it was me I would run a Zeitronix's E85 sensor and display. To do it right you want the know the Fuel Temp also. Oxygen expands with heat and you will need to pump more through the injectors the hotter the fuel is. If it was me I would run a newer PCM and operating system Maybe an 03 or 04 Truck setup, but you could run the 2002 0411 PCM with the 2002 E85 calibration. The reason I say this is E85 has not been consistent. If you get a tank of E75 instead of E85 the PCM will adjust the timing and the injectors for the difference.

If you have a good source for consistent E85 then the 99 PCM will work just fine.

Since the E85 contains so much oxygen you will burn a lot more fuel. Set the Stoich for the E%. Then start adding timing. To get the most MPG at cruise you will need to add timing and pull fuel (to correct the fuel trims) and you want to get the airflow to the lowest possible while maintaining a given MPH.

Last edited by CalEditor; 10-09-2010 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: E-85 and n/a tuning