Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aftermarket MAF and diablo tuner

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 08:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aftermarket MAF and diablo tuner

I have 4.10's in my car and i have a diablo tuner mostly to calibrate the speedo. I might as well put a 93 octane tune in it while im fixing the speedo. my question is because i bought the car with an Aftermarket SLP MAF will putting a tune in it mess up my fuel air mix ratio or anything like that? I did some research and i know that the stock MAF will have more power gains with the tune but will it be safe to run the tune with the aftermarket MAF?
Thanks for the help!

Last edited by 01 CamaroSS SLP; 11-05-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The SLP MAF's run leaner (that's how they add power to a stock car) and can very well cause you a problem with the Diablo tune...

What I would do, if you want to use the Diablo, is go to a dyno and get a wideband on the car... then put the tune in and use the Diablo's ability to add/subtract fuel and spark to tune it to where the AFR is correct and it is making the best power...

Don't just throw the tune in there and assume it is good to go...
Old 10-31-2010, 07:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the TUNE doesn't mess up your AFR/fueling, that aftermarket MAF does...

you need to dump it and get a stock MAF sensor in there....

otherwise, you're gonna have a helluva time trying to get your fueling dialed in correctly with that on there...

don't need it... get rid of it and get a stocker...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 10-31-2010, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Yeah that's what i figured id have to do but wanted to make sure before i go waste money on something im not 100% sure about. I can still go in and change the speedometer calibration correct? Then once i get my stock MAF back in i can go ahead and put the tune in, Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:34 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 06MonteSS
the TUNE doesn't mess up your AFR/fueling, that aftermarket MAF does...
The tune does lean out the AFR from stock... and so does the aftermarket MAF... The two together can make it too lean... that's all I was trying to say.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

right... the diablo tunes do lean it out somewhat... there is still room to play with... but the aftermarket MAF will make it a lot more, like you said... not good...

but, the biggest issue I was talking about, is that they also screws with your part-throttle fueling, so trying to dial in the part-throttle stuff is screwy, because the aftermarket MAF's mess it up...

2014 Camaro 2SS/RS - LS3, 6-speed manual, short-throw performance shifter, NPP dual-mode performance exhaust, 1LE front splitter, ZL1 rockers, Z28 Rear Spoiler, all paint-matched Red Rock Metallic, BMR strut tower brace, Cold Air Inductions cold air intake, Apex Motorsports, Inc. catch-can, Custom DiabLew Tune
www.diablewtune.com -- www.diablocustomtune.com -- www.diablocustomtunegm.com
Old 11-02-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Regular

I can still go in and change the speedometer calibration correct? Without putting a tune it in?