Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to take the plunge on HP Tuners

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to take the plunge on HP Tuners

I have been trying (best word for it I suppose ) to study and absorb as much info as possible on tuning and using the software for it and so far I THINK I'm beginning to get a grasp on it.

I plan to get HP Tuners for Christmas and have read through Dan Maslic's Master EFI Tuner once so far, lurked around the forums to try and get in as much info as possible before I get the software

There are a few questions I have though
1) I know I need a wideband but I would prefer to have one I can use on multiple cars as I have some family who I think I could benefit from tuning there vehicles (for learning purposes and I'm sure they wouldn't complain to much ). Which one is more up my alley?

2) I seen a wideband advertised using the iPhone as a meter. I have a 3rd gen iPod touch so this seems pretty cool I just wonder if its worth a damn

3)If I use two credits for my LS1 in my Nova, does that mean I'm free to do whatever I want to that PCM or I decide to do a major change later will I have to purchase more credits?

I have a lot more questions but those are all I have right now.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Gray
1) I know I need a wideband but I would prefer to have one I can use on multiple cars as I have some family who I think I could benefit from tuning there vehicles (for learning purposes and I'm sure they wouldn't complain to much ). Which one is more up my alley?

2) I seen a wideband advertised using the iPhone as a meter. I have a 3rd gen iPod touch so this seems pretty cool I just wonder if its worth a damn

3)If I use two credits for my LS1 in my Nova, does that mean I'm free to do whatever I want to that PCM or I decide to do a major change later will I have to purchase more credits?

1. I use an innovate LM1 and its worked well for me and is portable.

3. Yes once you've licensed a pcm you can tune it an unlimited amount of times without having to license it again.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being only a step ahead of you i can without a doubt say this is one of the coolest endeavors i have ever started. i don't know about the i phone doohickey but you will need to plot the wide band against other data in the pcm. so it has to end up in the scanner. speaking of which, this is the most underrated part of the package by far. sure tweaking parameters is great but you have to have a way to quantify your results. believe me it's overwhelming at first but i hope the shine never wears off.
i use the ngk. it's cheap and easy to route and move.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:46 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by foff667
1. I use an innovate LM1 and its worked well for me and is portable.

3. Yes once you've licensed a pcm you can tune it an unlimited amount of times without having to license it again.
I've seen the LM1 advertised but I wasn't sure if it was worth it anymore with the LM2 now available. So I would be able to go from vehicle to vehicle with this wideband? Do all you have to do is put it in place of one of the narrowbands in the pipe up front?
Old 11-13-2010, 07:45 AM
ctd
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

With the NGK AFX you can purchase additional wiring harness, that way you can permanently wire your owns vehicle. Then your second cable can be the portable WB, mine has clip leads for the battery connection.

Dans book is good, I think the assumption is you already have reasonable basic skills of operating the software. I would not describe the software easy to use maybe even complicated. "The tuning school" covers that very well, they are not shy about there pricing.

I think you are making a very good decision to jump into the tuning circus, if you are the type of individual that commits to a project you will have much fun as well as learning a skill that frightens many including myself!
Old 11-14-2010, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ctd
With the NGK AFX you can purchase additional wiring harness, that way you can permanently wire your owns vehicle. Then your second cable can be the portable WB, mine has clip leads for the battery connection.

Dans book is good, I think the assumption is you already have reasonable basic skills of operating the software. I would not describe the software easy to use maybe even complicated. "The tuning school" covers that very well, they are not shy about there pricing.

I think you are making a very good decision to jump into the tuning circus, if you are the type of individual that commits to a project you will have much fun as well as learning a skill that frightens many including myself!
I welcome the challenge of learning it. It's exciting to me and also the satisfaction of knowing I did it myslef is reason enough for me to keep going at it . I've never used the software but I have a decent "grip" of how it all plays together. Still an enormous amount left to learn though