PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just had car tuned < 1 week ago - is another tune required if I upgrade MAF ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just had car tuned < 1 week ago - is another tune required if I upgrade MAF ?

Just ha my car tuned and dyno'd w/ HP Tuners.

I would like to upgrading my stock MAF to a Granatelli or summit (any other recommendations out there let me know).

Also, based on my mods- what type of gain would I expect (if any) with upgraded MAF? Would it even be worth it?

My main question is- would I need to have my car re-tuned if I were to upgrade stock MAF - what other bolt-ons would or would not require another dyno tune? (please see sig for my current setup / mods)

Thanks in advance for your feedback,

Sincerely,

Sully
Sarasota - Tampa Bay
Old 11-07-2010, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes; You will have to retune when you change MAF sizes. (Car won't stay running)

NO; You will not get any gains from it. Save your money for something that works.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anything you change on your car will need a tune to optimize it.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET
Yes; You will have to retune when you change MAF sizes. (Car won't stay running)

NO; You will not get any gains from it. Save your money for something that works.
Don't listen to this guy. The car will run without a tune but it will run really shitty. You will definitely make gains with a larger than stock maf. There is a thread right now in the Dyno section where a member put a lid and larger maf on his car and gained 20hp and 18tq. I personally gained 10hp and 7 tq. Throttle response has improved as well. I would suggest the GM 85mm maf. It's about $30 on ebay when you can find it.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:27 AM
ZMX
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by djfury05
The car will run without a tune but it will run really shitty.
Right. Very different voltages. Don't do it without a tune.

You will definitely make gains with a larger than stock maf. There is a thread right now in the Dyno section where a member put a lid and larger maf on his car and gained 20hp and 18tq.
I gained 100HP when I put a turbo on my car and added a sticker to the window. By your logic, the sticker must have done some it. It was probably the lid.

I personally gained 10hp and 7 tq.
Or the weather was nicer that day.

Throttle response has improved as well.
Oh really? Because the MAF doesn't do anything for accommodating transitions in throttle. It has a response time measured in seconds.

OP, I see you gaining a few horsepower at most. It's not worth a retune. Next time you get something major done, then it might be something to additional to think about.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't listen to this guy. The car will run without a tune but it will run really shitty. You will definitely make gains with a larger than stock maf. There is a thread right now in the Dyno section where a member put a lid and larger maf on his car and gained 20hp and 18tq. I personally gained 10hp and 7 tq. Throttle response has improved as well. I would suggest the GM 85mm maf. It's about $30 on ebay when you can find it.
Don't make it personal Dic_ head! If you disagree, post your OPINION and act like you've got some sense.

In regards to the larger MAF, I guess you're special, because unless your engine NEEDS the extra flow and it is a restriction, you won't gain anything by increasing the MAF size. And gaining 10 hp??? OK:

OP - Thoroughly check out the MAF change benefits before you swap, but you WILL have to retune
Old 11-14-2010, 06:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Since you had your car tuned, those would not be my choice of MAFs, but you will need updated tables for your new MAF.

I went from stock to 85mm screened with about the same RWHP as you, and didnt notice much differance.

I tune my car myself so it wasnt a factor to update the tables, but depending what type of MAF you get, you can be slightly richer or leaner. ( most likely leaner)

That's my two cents, but your answer is yes you will have to rescale your MAF tables. Ive been asked to attend that shops dyno day next month, but im not sure yet if Ill be able to attend

Last edited by Phil'sC5vette; 11-14-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BOTTLE ROCKET

I agree ^^^^