PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuners....LS1Edit competition....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could someone explain to me how this HPTuner works? I'm a newbie and was going to have a shop that offers LS1 Edit tuning (just had to buy another cable for their EDIT to use on customer's vehicle) but after reading this thread it sounds like something awesome.
Anyhow, how does this tuning benefit my vehicle (currently stock w/ GMMG exhaust)? Is it true that you shouldn't tune til after you've heavily modded? ie cams, heads, headers, torque converter, transgo shift kit, etc? And I think I missed the answer earlier in the thread but is HPTuner easy to use for someone who has no exp?
Old 02-09-2004, 09:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sweet
Old 02-09-2004, 09:37 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnus
Black LS1 T/A, if you think there are any other features you'd like to see in our editor we'd love to hear them.

At the tunershops we demo at, we always ask the tuenrs what they would really like to see in an editor package to make their lives easier.. and if their ideas are prictical we develop them.
Cool. That is what I call customer service.

I will have to see it to give useful suggestioins. Perhaps I will be able to get it once I'm done spending money on my fuel system to keep up with my boost. The way it was presented when I purchased, we were beta-testing. We all paid full price to do it. As it turned out, most of the interface quirks were not fixed (basic things like re-sizing and copy/paste, verbage for diag codes, etc) until mabye a year later. By then, we were told we had to pay upgrade fees to get the release with these features we had critiqued during "beta".

From an interface perspective, it still looks like it's in beta.

I'm glad it was available... it's been a must-have; but it DOES feel like people were disregarded because they knew we had no alternative. I hate to sound inappreciative, but that's the way I feel.

One thing they DID do that was positive for me as a customer was to expedite sending out a replacement cable when mine went belly-up. I'm STILL sore about paying extra for basic features, though.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep up the good work Keith.

Me and a freind planning on going in on this when you release it

one thing i wish would that there wouldnt be year differences as he has a 98 camaro, and I a 99 TA
but it is nice you dont lock the vin and have better features plus monitoring software.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by FenixSS
Could someone explain to me how this HPTuner works? I'm a newbie and was going to have a shop that offers LS1 Edit tuning (just had to buy another cable for their EDIT to use on customer's vehicle) but after reading this thread it sounds like something awesome.
Anyhow, how does this tuning benefit my vehicle (currently stock w/ GMMG exhaust)? Is it true that you shouldn't tune til after you've heavily modded? ie cams, heads, headers, torque converter, transgo shift kit, etc? And I think I missed the answer earlier in the thread but is HPTuner easy to use for someone who has no exp?
I've heard many people say a good tune netted them more horsepower with a stock vehicle. For instance, if you are running rich, that kills power. Keeping 93 octane in it and leaning some, or increasing timing could get you as much of a horsepower gain as some mods might.

I don't know if you call headers or cold air induction "heavy modding". But, this can change things enough that it might impact your tune.

The ability to modify shift points (if you are an automatic) and rev limiters COULD give you better track times and help on the street. Part-throttle shifts can be ooptimized for personal preference. More torque / hp at lower rpms and part-throttle may be possible by adjusting timing in the lower grams/cylinder range.

Reading and resetting diag codes, etc, etc... the list just goes on....
Old 02-09-2004, 09:48 AM
TECH Addict

jrp, we offer in car recovery. If you have a communications error or lose power during a VCM/PCM calibration write, you can still recover the VCM/PCM in car without having to tow the car to a dealer or send your VCM/PCM to a programmer that can fix it for you.

Programming your vehicle stress-free is a beautiful thing!

Keith -
Will we be able to see the calibration of the PCM?? For example will we be able to turn O2's off?? Not just turn off the diagnostics but actually "turn off" at the switch??
joel
Old 02-09-2004, 10:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Joel,

We will be implementing things like that and much more into our Pro version for the tunershops. It will fall under the Operating System changes section.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:32 AM

Do you think you will have an Upgrade from current Software incentive sale? You know... a vendor offers their software at some upgrade price rather than full price, to users of a competitive vendor to help solidify their customer base. These are sales they are not likely to get since these customers have a particular software application. So they treat such a sale like an upgrade.

Not pushing, just wondering...
Old 02-09-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by binksz06
Keith -
Will we be able to see the calibration of the PCM?? For example will we be able to turn O2's off?? Not just turn off the diagnostics but actually "turn off" at the switch??
joel
Forgive my stupidity, but what is the difference between turning the O2's off and actually turning them off at the switch?
Old 02-09-2004, 12:32 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Incentive... we aren't sure...

Really, in the grand scheme of things disabling the O2's by turning off the DTC's is suffecient... Turning them off "at the switch" just disables the execution of the code.

Operating system adjustments like that are more relevant when you are disabling the MAF for Speed Density tunes.
Old 02-09-2004, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

hay quite yapping and start selling that shiz Or let me be a beta tester
Old 02-09-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A
Do you think you will have an Upgrade from current Software incentive sale? You know... a vendor offers their software at some upgrade price rather than full price, to users of a competitive vendor to help solidify their customer base. These are sales they are not likely to get since these customers have a particular software application. So they treat such a sale like an upgrade.

Not pushing, just wondering...
Black LS1 T/A - you are always thinking!! (I've followed your posts on the Edit list/archives)

Actually,it is a great idea from a marketing standpoint. Similar to giving away the propietary shaver for the future proprietary blade sales.
FWIW.
joel
Old 02-09-2004, 01:19 PM
TECH Addict

Joel,

We will be implementing things like that and much more into our Pro version for the tunershops. It will fall under the Operating System changes section.
- where is the "Party" emoticon/Smilie??

SidewaysOZ - no stupidity around here, only good questions. I asked about the O2 switch because I couldn't think of a semi -intelligent way to ask about other calbrations (i.e. speed density / c4b mafless) .

joel
Old 02-09-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

We purchased the 97-03 tuner version of Edit when I was doing the tuning at Norris Motorsports here in Orlando. We spent a total of $9000 for that setup with Carputing. Since then Norris had boughten our portion (C&S Performance) of the software but had asked me if I had gotten any updates since v1.21. I hadn't so I e-mailed Ken asking if we could obtain an update. Keep in mind that is was only 8 months since we purchased the 03 model year. He stated that we were not eligible for an update as we had not purchased the extended plan.

We spend $9000, ask for 1 single update from our original purchase date and tells us he wants more $. As you 98 guys know it took him forever to get the 98 software up to par with the 99+ years. It was the 98s we needed the update for. I could understand if Carputing was update every couple of months or so but to charge someone for their very first update is just plain greed. I saw Ken Kelly in person last Feb. and he told me it would be about 6 weeks for the next version. It didn't come until late summer.

I hope the competitors have better business sense than Carputing does. HP Tuners looks very promising and I will be purchasing it for my 98 as soon as it is available. I'm an Electrical Engineer and I know the hard work that goes into disassembling each new PCM program GM releases so I don't fault anyone for trying to get compensated fairly but there is also a point at which it all is worthless if you can't retain your existing customers and find new ones.

Tim
Old 02-09-2004, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Black LS1 T/A - you are always thinking!! (I've followed your posts on the Edit list/archives)

Actually,it is a great idea from a marketing standpoint. Similar to giving away the propietary shaver for the future proprietary blade sales.
FWIW.
joel
that would work, if they were going to be making the money off the updates, ect. Like Gilette with the razors (i have 6 on my desk, lol)

The money on the tuning package is in the package, not the updates.

Since the ls1edit cable won't work with the new software, they don't really have a "upgrade" software they can sell you cheaper. You will need the full package.

Also, from my point of view, they are trying to go towards the non edit owners, who were unwilling to buy carputings locked package. The hpstuff seems to have some cool features to it, but i can't see making a $550 edit cable a paperweight, to buy the new stuff. (unless you want to do the hardcore operatiing system editing)

Ryan

Ryan.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TimZ28
I will be purchasing it for my 98 as soon as it is available.
Tim
I am planning on purchasing a 98 copy as well as soon as it is available.

If you order yours as soon as it is available, after you get it, would you mind if i took a look at the program, and if i could get your opinion on it? Would be nice to get a tuners opinion on the product before buying it. Especially somebody who was familiar with edit.

Ryan.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

Ryan,

No problem. Magnus responsed on their forum that the 98 will trail the other model years. Hopefully it won't be more than a matter of weeks. No matter what I'm not giving Ken Kelly another dime.

Magnus,

Has the 98 F-body package at least reached a solid "beta" stage in terms of tables/parameters?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 02-09-2004, 01:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slow
that would work, if they were going to be making the money off the updates, ect. Like Gilette with the razors (i have 6 on my desk, lol)

The money on the tuning package is in the package, not the updates.

Since the ls1edit cable won't work with the new software, they don't really have a "upgrade" software they can sell you cheaper. You will need the full package.

Also, from my point of view, they are trying to go towards the non edit owners, who were unwilling to buy carputings locked package. The hpstuff seems to have some cool features to it, but i can't see making a $550 edit cable a paperweight, to buy the new stuff. (unless you want to do the hardcore operatiing system editing)

Ryan

Ryan.

Yes, I agree . But, if they had a "Relatively" inexpensive beginners package - say comparable to a "Diablo"- then they could have multiple upgrades from there........ Naah....after thinking it through that doesn't make sense . You're right ...they need to get full price for the package.
joel
Old 02-09-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, I agree . But, if they had a "Relatively" inexpensive beginners package - say comparable to a "Diablo"- then they could have multiple upgrades from there........ Naah....after thinking it through that doesn't make sense . You're right ...they need to get full price for the package.
joel
If Carputing had the forsight to adapt they would work at making their product look and behave like a 2004 piece of software should. Take EFILive... that product is continually being enhanced and polished. I've used it since V5 and it just keeps getting better with more features and better useability. You also don't have to pay for updates. I've seen a huge explosion in EFILive related posts from this time last year... why? They offer an excellent product at a reasonable price and provide excellent support. I found a bug with EFILive last year on the TCC lockup control and within 24 hours Paul found the bug and sent me a new executable with the correction. Carputing could have been the king of LS1 tuning products but it is soon going to fall under the mediocre category.
Old 02-09-2004, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

I just bought my '99 TA. I plan to buy tuning software in the future. I am not itching to buy LS1edit. I used to have a GTP(7years) and did extensive mods. I contacted carputing on different occasions inquiring if they would offer edit for the L67. Eventually, they asked me for the part numbers for the PCMs. I gave it to them and even the binaries. They stated they would start on it next month(2.5 years ago). I also know of someone that sent them a PCM to start work. I don't think they got it back either. I have known Keith for some time, so I know where my money will be going. After reading some of the comments on edit(which I am no expert), I think I will be making the right decision.

Finally, the fact that they will be supporting other models(GTP, V-6 camaro, etc), is a plus in my book. After having been in the situation of being trapped by 1 PCM programming company. I have a good working knowledge of the FAST ECU, so I am excited to tune the LS1 as my mods warrant it.

DEE