Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPTuners....LS1Edit competition....

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2004, 02:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimZ28
If Carputing had the forsight to adapt they would work at making their product look and behave like a 2004 piece of software should. Take EFILive... that product is continually being enhanced and polished. I've used it since V5 and it just keeps getting better with more features and better useability. You also don't have to pay for updates. I've seen a huge explosion in EFILive related posts from this time last year... why? They offer an excellent product at a reasonable price and provide excellent support. I found a bug with EFILive last year on the TCC lockup control and within 24 hours Paul found the bug and sent me a new executable with the correction. Carputing could have been the king of LS1 tuning products but it is soon going to fall under the mediocre category.
The way I see it the "Cat" is the ability to see the calibration and make switches in it. Once this is publically available the "Cat" is out of the bag. I think we'll see many options in the Tuner Software market for LS1s. Time will tell.
joel
Old 02-09-2004, 03:44 PM
TECH Addict

I have a question. Did the developers of hptuners.com buy a copy of ls1edit to make sure theres nothing thats "not covered" by ls1edit thats in hptuners?

Say i wanted to haxor my "ls1edit tuned" ecm, can i download the file to hptuners, and have every single feature that ls1edit has?

Does ls1edit make any codespace changes to facilitate anything (ie turning off codes,readiness no cats pass emissions).

That's my only worry, if i download my ls1edit tune done by the pro, will hptuners muck anything up, and support all of the parameters. I don't want to have any parameters tweaked by ls1edit that can't be tweaked by hptuners.

I think thats a valid question. Alot of us have mail order or "tuned by others" tunes and want to muck around, but don't want to lose, or have any "inteference" by different methods of tuning.

I dont have the option or desire to tweak everything already done well, but say if i want to muck with shift points and low rpm tweaking, will i have a problem? There is no "clean slate" option for me. it would be too much of a learning curve.

Make sense? i'm sure some others are wondering the same thing.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Mmm, yet another choice is on the way....

http://www.efilive.com/news_20040209.html
http://www.efilive.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22
Old 02-09-2004, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

2004 may be a bad year for carputing

hptuners
efilive

we'll i will hang on to my efilive v6 setup now. The tension builds.. lol
Old 02-09-2004, 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fetumpsh
Fetumpsh - I keep getting the " Page Cannot be Displayed" message.
Can you breifly tell us what EFILive is offering ??

joel
Old 02-09-2004, 04:33 PM
Teching In

Yes, the point is moot......

Carputing blazed the trail, others spouted drivel and vapor, and now, the torch is passed to the folks at EFILive, a new generation of integrated and user friendly tools for the LS1/LS6 (did someone say LS2, too?) platforms!

See the details at www.EFILive.com
Old 02-09-2004, 04:36 PM
Teching In

blinks, Maybe the server is busy, let me quote for you:

A joint venture between EFILive, Starr Performance and PCMTECH is producing new and exciting products to complement our existing EFILive Scan Tool range. When asked, most customers indicated that they wanted wide-band O2 integrated scanning, black-box data logging, and reflash/tuning capabilities. We are pleased to announce FlashScan, EFILive’s fully integrated scanner, and PCM reflashing/tuning interface cable.

To design and build FlashScan, EFILive enlisted the expertise of Starr Performance and PCMTECH. Starr Performance, one of the leading LS1 aftermarket performance companies in Australia, provides the performance tuning skills to ensure that the tuning process is “best of breed”. PCMTECH, a high-tech, PCM customisation shop, designed the FlashScan interface to allow high-speed logging and reflashing of the PCM.

The new FlashScan interface is compatible with the EFILive V6 Scan Tool. It supports all of EFILive’s high-performance features including fast data logging and bi-directional controls.

FlashScan has a built-in, A/D converter that integrates wide-band O2 data directly into EFILive’s logged data stream. Actually, the A/D convertor can be used to log any analog voltage up to 5 volts.

The FlashScan interface is not a replacement for a wide-band O2 controller. The A/D input on the FlashScan interface only accepts a linear, analogue voltage output by most wide-band O2 controllers.

FlashScan can be used as a stand-alone black box data logger (no laptop required). Now you can record a race lap, or a dragstrip pass without carrying an expensive laptop in your vehicle.

You can log up to 6 minutes of high-speed data, that's up to 24 PIDs at 10 frames per second.

Slower logging rates or less PIDs mean longer logging times.

FlashScan is compatible with the upcoming EFILive Tuning Tool to reflash the PCM.

That means when the EFILive Tuning Tool is released it will function with your existing FlashScan interface cable.

EFIlive's new FlashScan interface has the same form-factor and is pin-compatible with the existing AutoTap cables used by EFILive.

Professionally designed using state of the art software and manufactured using surface mount components, the FlashScan interface meets the high quality standards of the EFILive product range.

Because everything works via the same cable, the new EFILive Scan and Tuning Tools will offer better value for money than stand-alone products.

Existing EFILive customers will enjoy low cost upgrade options from the EFILive Scan Tool to the EFILive FlashScan System, making it the most cost effective way to start tuning your own vehicle.

The EFILive Scan Tool will continue to be sold as the premier scan tool for LS1/LS6 using B&B Electronics AutoTap interface cable.

Delivery dates and final pricing are not yet available.
Please don't request this information as we cannot answer.

MRK
Old 02-09-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by emarkay
Yes, the point is moot......

Carputing blazed the trail, others spouted drivel and vapor, and now, the torch is passed to the folks at EFILive, a new generation of integrated and user friendly tools for the LS1/LS6 (did someone say LS2, too?) platforms!

See the details at www.EFILive.com
All I get is the old cannot find server notice.

emarkay,
Will we be able to see the calibrations and edit them with the new EFILive software??

joel
Old 02-09-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

emarkay - you are quicker than I. Thank you. joel
Old 02-09-2004, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Well, it helps to be associated with the product - I wouldn't do it if I disagreed with ANYTHING. My standards are as high as EFILive's and much higher than the "other guys"!
Old 02-09-2004, 06:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

As long as your pcm wasn't "locked" by another tuner you should be able to read it just fine with our software and modify it as is.

Looks to be an interesting year for the LS1.
Old 02-09-2004, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by emarkay
blinks, Maybe the server is busy, let me quote for you:

A joint venture between EFILive, Starr Performance and PCMTECH is producing new and exciting products to complement our existing EFILive Scan Tool range. When asked, most customers indicated that they wanted wide-band O2 integrated scanning, black-box data logging, and reflash/tuning capabilities. We are pleased to announce FlashScan, EFILive’s fully integrated scanner, and PCM reflashing/tuning interface cable.

To design and build FlashScan, EFILive enlisted the expertise of Starr Performance and PCMTECH. Starr Performance, one of the leading LS1 aftermarket performance companies in Australia, provides the performance tuning skills to ensure that the tuning process is “best of breed”. PCMTECH, a high-tech, PCM customisation shop, designed the FlashScan interface to allow high-speed logging and reflashing of the PCM.

The new FlashScan interface is compatible with the EFILive V6 Scan Tool. It supports all of EFILive’s high-performance features including fast data logging and bi-directional controls.

FlashScan has a built-in, A/D converter that integrates wide-band O2 data directly into EFILive’s logged data stream. Actually, the A/D convertor can be used to log any analog voltage up to 5 volts.

The FlashScan interface is not a replacement for a wide-band O2 controller. The A/D input on the FlashScan interface only accepts a linear, analogue voltage output by most wide-band O2 controllers.

FlashScan can be used as a stand-alone black box data logger (no laptop required). Now you can record a race lap, or a dragstrip pass without carrying an expensive laptop in your vehicle.

You can log up to 6 minutes of high-speed data, that's up to 24 PIDs at 10 frames per second.

Slower logging rates or less PIDs mean longer logging times.

FlashScan is compatible with the upcoming EFILive Tuning Tool to reflash the PCM.

That means when the EFILive Tuning Tool is released it will function with your existing FlashScan interface cable.

EFIlive's new FlashScan interface has the same form-factor and is pin-compatible with the existing AutoTap cables used by EFILive.

Professionally designed using state of the art software and manufactured using surface mount components, the FlashScan interface meets the high quality standards of the EFILive product range.

Because everything works via the same cable, the new EFILive Scan and Tuning Tools will offer better value for money than stand-alone products.

Existing EFILive customers will enjoy low cost upgrade options from the EFILive Scan Tool to the EFILive FlashScan System, making it the most cost effective way to start tuning your own vehicle.

The EFILive Scan Tool will continue to be sold as the premier scan tool for LS1/LS6 using B&B Electronics AutoTap interface cable.

Delivery dates and final pricing are not yet available.
Please don't request this information as we cannot answer.

MRK

Now that's what I'm talkin' bout !!! EFILive is VERY very kick *** software, can't wait to see their tuning tools...

Paul, you still rock bro
Old 02-09-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"It would make a fine addition, wouldn't it

- If we do something - we do it 110% just like our scan tool.
- If we do something we won't be rushing it out the door half baked just to be first or second or third or whatever.
- If we do something it will be done well and done right.
- If we do something our existing customers will be well rewarded.
- If we do something I can't/won't say when it might be done.

(tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Clear?

Paul"

flashscan sounds bad ***.
i wonder what the "reward for existing users" will be

oh yeah, i thought this was badass too,

"FlashScan has a built-in, A/D converter that integrates wide-band O2 data directly into EFILive’s logged data stream. Actually, the A/D convertor can be used to log any analog voltage up to 5 volts."

Last edited by Gen3Benz; 02-09-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-10-2004, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for answering my question.
Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A
I've heard many people say a good tune netted them more horsepower with a stock vehicle. For instance, if you are running rich, that kills power. Keeping 93 octane in it and leaning some, or increasing timing could get you as much of a horsepower gain as some mods might.

I don't know if you call headers or cold air induction "heavy modding". But, this can change things enough that it might impact your tune.

The ability to modify shift points (if you are an automatic) and rev limiters COULD give you better track times and help on the street. Part-throttle shifts can be ooptimized for personal preference. More torque / hp at lower rpms and part-throttle may be possible by adjusting timing in the lower grams/cylinder range.

Reading and resetting diag codes, etc, etc... the list just goes on....
Old 02-10-2004, 05:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by slow
Also, from my point of view, they are trying to go towards the non edit owners, who were unwilling to buy carputings locked package. The hpstuff seems to have some cool features to it, but i can't see making a $550 edit cable a paperweight, to buy the new stuff. (unless you want to do the hardcore operatiing system editing)

Ryan

Ryan.
I don't think it's silly to go after LS1-Edit users. THAT is the proven customer base. Except people who don't really need it or have not had a car to tune, anyone that has gone two years without such a capability is not much of a reliable sale, to me. They would have to have just gotten serious in the game.

It's also not silly, to me, to think many LS1-Edit users would switch. You don't know the level of dissatisfaction out there about having to ante up more money for ONE update per subscription buy, the unwillingness of carputing to support the product on the boards (they will only post in a email list), the non-evolution of the User Manual and the primieval stage the Programmer app has stayed in, etc. (After two years, they still won't get it to remember the options you select EVERY time you program. The response to me was to use command-line parameters to kick it off.)

There is a sense of being ripped. I don't know whether to bless them for the tool or curse them for the being screwed ever after... without the benefit of vaseline. But, it's like a woman that stays with a man that beats her, either she NEEDS him or FEELS she needs him, and can't leave... has nothing better. She's angry, hurt, disillusioned, but can't go anywhere; so she stays.

I'm not saying they should give the product away. After the cost of the cable is accounted for, charging enough over that to make a profit and gain much of an already solid customer base is smart business sense. All they'll have to do is have a superior product that meets or exceeds LS1-Edit capabilities, not tie your hands behind your back with encryption, have integrated scanning built in, a GUI written by REAL windows developers, and some REAL tuning info in a manual; they will have made it worth switching. But, there would have to be a price incentive for a large exodus.

It's called a "Competitive Upgrade" and has been proven to work.

If I have to pay another $500+ again, my inclination would be to see what incentives EFILive offers. I already have their product and they've proven they upgrade their software regularly, apply bug fixes in a reasonable timeframe, and have excellent customer service.

But, hey... as long as the options are increasing, that's a good thing.
Old 02-10-2004, 06:00 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by FenixSS
Thank you for answering my question.
Not a prob!
Old 02-10-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black LS1 T/A
I don't think it's silly to go after LS1-Edit users. THAT is the proven customer base. Except people who don't really need it or have not had a car to tune, anyone that has gone two years without such a capability is not much of a reliable sale, to me. They would have to have just gotten serious in the game.

It's also not silly, to me, to think many LS1-Edit users would switch. You don't know the level of dissatisfaction out there about having to ante up more money for ONE update per subscription buy, the unwillingness of carputing to support the product on the boards (they will only post in a email list), the non-evolution of the User Manual and the primieval stage the Programmer app has stayed in, etc. (After two years, they still won't get it to remember the options you select EVERY time you program. The response to me was to use command-line parameters to kick it off.)

There is a sense of being ripped. I don't know whether to bless them for the tool or curse them for the being screwed ever after... without the benefit of vaseline. But, it's like a woman that stays with a man that beats her, either she NEEDS him or FEELS she needs him, and can't leave... has nothing better. She's angry, hurt, disillusioned, but can't go anywhere; so she stays.

I'm not saying they should give the product away. After the cost of the cable is accounted for, charging enough over that to make a profit and gain much of an already solid customer base is smart business sense. All they'll have to do is have a superior product that meets or exceeds LS1-Edit capabilities, not tie your hands behind your back with encryption, have integrated scanning built in, a GUI written by REAL windows developers, and some REAL tuning info in a manual; they will have made it worth switching. But, there would have to be a price incentive for a large exodus.

It's called a "Competitive Upgrade" and has been proven to work.

If I have to pay another $500+ again, my inclination would be to see what incentives EFILive offers. I already have their product and they've proven they upgrade their software regularly, apply bug fixes in a reasonable timeframe, and have excellent customer service.

But, hey... as long as the options are increasing, that's a good thing.
I wasn't saying it was silly, just that they were going after a larger customer base, not just the hardcore guys, who were willing to drop $1000 for edit/efi live. There are a lot more poeple who will buy a cheaper product, that they can share with friends.

I agree with teh fact that is is nice to have options statement, there will be another tuner hitting the market in about 6 months or so. as well. So that is good for us all.

I was going to wait for that, but the HP tuners is very cheap for what you get, i've got 2 other people to go in on a cable, i sold my HPP3 for more than im spending on the hptuners cable.

The competive upgrade, would be nice, yes, and i can see that they would want the edit guys to buy their stuff, but unless there are large improvements over somebody who owns ls1 edit/efi live? It does appear to have some improvements, but time and feedback will tell, if it is worth making your $550 edit cable a paperweight.

you even said it yourself, you would look into somethign else for your hard earned $500.

We'll see what happens, when this product hits the streets, and people respond with their satisfaction.

I am looking forward to this I almost had a group together to buy a 98 unlimited edit cable...with me buying 1/2 of it. ($1250) glad that didn't go through.

With what you said about the proven customer base, yes, the guys with edit, need it, and are good customers to go after, BUT they priced this more affordable, so more people can get tuning that is necessary.

I was going to wait another 6 months for the other stuff to come out, before i install my blower... for the following reasons.

I refuse to buy carputings locked versions. I like things with resale value, if crap hits the fan. I was willing to spend 1250 on 1/2 of a 98 unlimited cable, as i could sell it, if necessary.

don't have a local tuner, that i know well enough to do the tuning, so i want the tuning capabilities in my hand.

I know lots of people who want edit, but find it hard to cough up $550 for the cable, with 0 resale value.

Ryan

Last edited by slow; 02-10-2004 at 11:54 AM.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

For those that are waiting the couple of weeks for our product (as opposed to half a year or an unknown release date), you won't be let down!

We've been putting a bunch of little features/tweaks in here and there to make our product stand out from the rest. Little things that really make the difference when using software, things that really make it easier to use.

Also, we will definately be bumping up our scantool capabilities. Competition stimulates growth.

Speed is where it counts.. and just to give you a little bit of info regarding our speed compared to current vendors and future vendors..
In closed testing we where able to achieve 24 second calibration write times. We can read the entire 512KB flash file in 1:56. Our average calibration write time is 32 seconds and a entire read of 2:06.

Our interface uses 57600 communications speed between the interface and laptop to insure fast communications.

We also scan data 24 PID's at 10 frames per second. Fast data really makes the difference when trying to fine tune you vehicle.

We are sure that the product will speak for itself once a few people get a hold of it.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:11 PM
TECH Addict

Well great hptuners. You know the missing step? The megasquirt guys have a program that logs all the data, and then makes "suggestive" corrections to them.

Log, drive all over town, all day (bring a laptop with a cig lighter charger adapter). Then export the log to csv and process it. You guys can then make a program that finds issues and makes suggestive corrections or points out issues.

AUTO-TUNE, thats what DTA calls it. It works with the widband too.

Thats something i'd like to see as a feature or an extensible option.

Would make tuning the low load surging and drivability alot easier if known "goals" were set after a few hours of driving around, or less.

See DTA engine management or the megasquirt (groups.yahoo.com) on their analyses software. It's not brain surgery. But if you log knock and the A/F is wicked lean you can tell the user where to add fuel (explicitly) and they can go run again, then if it still knocks and a/f is on, you might tell the user to reduce timing at (specifically).

That would kick ***.
Old 02-10-2004, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

samz28, is this a product that is on the market now?