PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SD Tune worth it for a Street Car? [MAF Q's]

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome meentss.. What all would I need to get started on my own tuning, a link with info would also work.
Sorry, just never looked into it much.
Old 02-22-2011, 08:25 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I ran my truck in SD for 30k miles(Turbo). Never touched the tune after the ignitial. Drove it in 0 degree to 100 degree temps with no problem.Has 110k miles on the stock motor now.

The catch- I left the 02's on and they did all part throttle corrections so the truck always ran 14.5-1 while cruising.It had a newer computer that has better control than the 99-02 computers.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I ran my truck in SD for 30k miles(Turbo). Never touched the tune after the ignitial. Drove it in 0 degree to 100 degree temps with no problem.Has 110k miles on the stock motor now.
The catch- I left the 02's on and they did all part throttle corrections so the truck always ran 14.5-1 while cruising.It had a newer computer that has better control than the 99-02 computers.
+1 on this,

CL-SD is good.

Though Maf-tuned all things considered, makes a better 24/7 job IMO.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Veteran

^ This is why I wanted to learn more about tuning. This stuff is just becoming more fascinating to me.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:34 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
^ This is why I wanted to learn more about tuning. This stuff is just becoming more fascinating to me.
It isn't difficult, but the price of admission is pretty high, and the consequences of a screw up can be pretty harsh. That said, I learned how to tune my car when it was stock, so I could always revert back to the stock tune if I jacked something up. From there, I learned how to tune it in speed density, and after going through more than a few pairs of O2 sensors, I ended up leaving it open loop, but I monitor it full time with a wideband O2 + gauge.

If my car was anything more than weekend fun, I'd probably try to get a MAF working on it, but I used to daily drive it OL-SD for a few years. It just had to be touched up every once in a while (season changes).
Old 02-25-2011, 07:50 PM
TECH Veteran

^ That would be ideal.. Just spark and fuel changes for stock? Should be. From what I've heard, EFI Live offers an Auto-tune feature to get you in the ball-park. I'd do that and compare the graphs to see what was changed. They also offer a "learn at home" schooling type of software classes.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

There is nothing wrong with a SD tune but why limit yourself to half the PCM's ability to deliver accurate fueling?

Like stated in my post before the only time I delete the MAF is for big inch motors that max them out on the flow side (512g/sec) and frequency side (12000hz). You can get around the frequency by using a larger diameter MAF housing and using a LS3/LS7 style sensor. The 512g/sec can be gotten around by scaling all the airflow tables and injector flow rates.

When I tune a vehicle I tune SD and MAF that way when finished both are fine tuned and calibrated and both help deliver accurate airflow data for the PCM to match fuel to.

Also just a FYI the 85mm truck sensor's even though they are bigger have less frequency range per flow than the stock aluminum MAF does. I've had trouble with the 85mm MAF maxing the frequency out on cam only setup's on 98's which are limited frequency wise to 11250hz.

On the SD setups the weather change isn't bad to tune on them if you have the IAT in a location that won't read false heat soak. The factory location is horrible aspecially if you've cut the bottom of the lid base as a free mod. If the vehicle must run SD I normally either try to locate the sensor in the manifold in direct airstream so it constantly has air passing over it or I locate it outside of the engine bay. That alone will keep fueling inline. The 01-up tunes have a IAT/ECT Bias table that you can tweak to help the sensitivity of the IAT some as well. The 00 and older tunes are based solely on IAT only.

Last edited by LSxPwrDZ; 02-25-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sd tuned and love it no problems here
Old 03-02-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Slowhawk

Thats why he's doing my tuning! I can just sit back and . I would love to get a tuning suite and do it myself, but i don't have the time and have alot of work to get my car roadworthy as it is.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:14 AM
Staging Lane

I'm working on my turbo setup and shooting for some pretty high numbers. The car isn't my daily and won't see much elevation change, or drastic temperature changes, if I were to run sd, would you guys recommend open or closed loop? *new to speed density so go easy lol*
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Correct me if I'm wrong here but arent most of the people that get a frost tune by mail. 99% of those tunes are SD tunes, and a large majority of those cars are street/strip cars i would assume from looking at the signatures of the people that post up positive threads about the tune.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Regular

Yikes, I'd hope not.

Quick Reply: SD Tune worth it for a Street Car? [MAF Q's]