PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procharged 403 wont pull past 5500 RPM....

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by white01ss
I had to replace my TPS sensor because it showed 3% TPS at idle. My car had 33k miles at the time, but was 8 years old.

Things to double check in the 2004 GTO tune:

TPS Test Min Temp - Test with 150C to see if it helps
MAF Test Min Engine Speed - Set to 12800 RPM to disable
Abuse Mode RPM Enable - Set to 8192 RPM to disable
I think I found the MAF test and Abuse mode screens????

Can't seem to find the TPS Min Temp Test, where is that at??
Attached Thumbnails Procharged 403 wont pull past 5500 RPM....-abuse-mode.jpg   Procharged 403 wont pull past 5500 RPM....-maf-test-question.jpg  
Old 03-17-2011, 05:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have decided to go ahead and change out the lifters. While the heads are off I will route them to T&D for Geometry validation, and will be testing / adjusting valve spring pressures.

since I am not throwing any codes, not sure If replacing any of the sensors is warranted??

Once back together and on the dyno we shall see what progress has been made (if any). If this work proves nothing, then I will look at a possible cam change. EDC already has one picked out for me.....just in case.

Unless someone can identify something in the tune, at this point I am assuming its mechanical?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excuse the newbie question but is the blower to small for the motors you had and have it on (P1SC)?
Old 03-17-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Regular

After reading part of this I come up with the theories:

1. Incorrect injector data for High Flow situation.

2. Fuel filter clogged.

3. Valve float.

4. MAP sensor skews MAF readings.

5. TB closes due to Trans Torque exceeded.

6. Cam over advanced.

7. Clutch/Torque Converter/Internal trans clutch pack slippage (whether you have either an automatic or stick.)
Old 03-18-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Monte4ever
Excuse the newbie question but is the blower to small for the motors you had and have it on (P1SC)?
Some say yes.....

However I have the same issue whether I am pushing 15PSI or 3 PSI, so I don't think its the blower itself.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT
After reading part of this I come up with the theories:

1. Incorrect injector data for High Flow situation.

2. Fuel filter clogged.

3. Valve float.

4. MAP sensor skews MAF readings.

5. TB closes due to Trans Torque exceeded.

6. Cam over advanced.

7. Clutch/Torque Converter/Internal trans clutch pack slippage (whether you have either an automatic or stick.)
1 & 2: I would think any fueling issues would show up in the fuel pressure log and skew the AFR readings?

3: valve float is unlikely given the quality of springs and current seat pressure. Also unlikely to have valve float at the exact same RPM regardless of boost at 3 pounds or 15. However I am pulling the heads to change the lifters, and will be checking the entire valvetrain.....again.

4: Not something I know anything about, but am asking questions, any and all guidance would be appreciated.

5: TB is cable driven, the log shows 100% TPS throughout the pull.

6: Cam was degreed this past weekend, found the intake 2* retarded exhaust right on the money as compared to the cam card.

7: As for the clutch, I wont rule anything out, however it is a new ACT twin, and again the issue remains at 5500 RPM with 200HP difference between the 15psi pulley and 5 PSI pulley??

Last edited by b727pic; 03-18-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default New info

Heads were dropped off at T&D for rocker geometry and installation checks. after a couple days I received a call with interesting news.

It seems that my rockers while marked 1.7:1 ratio, were actually lifting at a 1.85:1 ratio. My cam card states .6001 / .6001 lift, I was actually getting over .650 lift. I suppose that it is possible I was seeing valve float?

In any case T&D is taking care of me, and the new question is, since I was really happy with my tq down low, am I going to be happy losing .050 lift on my current cam??? EDC has sent me an option I am considering. Cam swaps aren't terrible on these motors, but getting it all done at the same time does have some appeal......decisions, decisions.......
Old 04-05-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

What push rods length do you have? Maybe if they are to long and the lifters are bottoming out holding the valve open? This with the 1.85 might be tied together.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
What push rods length do you have? Maybe if they are to long and the lifters are bottoming out holding the valve open? This with the 1.85 might be tied together.
7.2" zero lash + .020 preload
Old 04-06-2011, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the stock length is 7.4. That sounds short to me.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
I think the stock length is 7.4. That sounds short to me.
you are correct about OEM length. However since I am running T&D Shaft rockers which is a whole new ball game.

Last edited by b727pic; 04-08-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default Update

Been a long haul, but I think we may have found the issue. Subsequent to finding the rocker ratio's being 1.85 instead of 1.7. I decided to have the springs checked just to be sure........well the results were not good. Took measurements at 1.85, 1.80, and 1.20. Seat pressures were barely 100#'s Open pressures in the mid 300's. Starting to look like valve float was the source of my issues, I guess the 1.85 rocker ratio pushing the valves past 650 lift took its toll in short order??

Not wanting to spend a ton of $$ with a whole new spring setup, it looks like K motions's K-800 will work with my Ti retainers and locks. Will be measuring the installed height, then testing the K-800's prior to final installation.

Also ordered a new cam more suitable to the 403, hopefully I can get all this going back together soon......
Old 05-07-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by b727pic
Been a long haul, but I think we may have found the issue. Subsequent to finding the rocker ratio's being 1.85 instead of 1.7. I decided to have the springs checked just to be sure........well the results were not good. Took measurements at 1.85, 1.80, and 1.20. Seat pressures were barely 100#'s Open pressures in the mid 300's. Starting to look like valve float was the source of my issues, I guess the 1.85 rocker ratio pushing the valves past 650 lift took its toll in short order??

Not wanting to spend a ton of $$ with a whole new spring setup, it looks like K motions's K-800 will work with my Ti retainers and locks. Will be measuring the installed height, then testing the K-800's prior to final installation.

Also ordered a new cam more suitable to the 403, hopefully I can get all this going back together soon......

I said it was valvetrain a couple months back, I know its a pain to tear stuff back apart but thats the first place to go. It probably wasnt that the springs were that soft to begin with just marginal, and floating them beats them up more and more and in turn floats more and more.

You are going to end up in the same predicament picking a spring without considering the cam, you should get a real lifter in there, and with the weight of the valvetrain in mind and lobes get an idea of what closing pressures you will need. Should have 160-170 on the seat minimum, worst case. Springs do settle, cheaper stuff more so than others, stuff that gets abused with shitty lobes more than others keep that in mind. Youd probably be better off with something even like a PRC 675 EHT kit, more room before bind, at least as much rate, you can set them up with more on the seat and they will be much lighter. $300 can make or break your $15000 engine/blower combo and burn up months of your time like youve seen. Not trying to give you a hard time at all, just dont want to see you post the same thing up now in a few months when springs still marginal, or later when they settle or something like that. Valvetrain control is #1 first priority
Old 05-07-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by GrannySShifting
I said it was valvetrain a couple months back, I know its a pain to tear stuff back apart but thats the first place to go. It probably wasnt that the springs were that soft to begin with just marginal, and floating them beats them up more and more and in turn floats more and more.

You are going to end up in the same predicament picking a spring without considering the cam, you should get a real lifter in there, and with the weight of the valvetrain in mind and lobes get an idea of what closing pressures you will need. Should have 160-170 on the seat minimum, worst case. Springs do settle, cheaper stuff more so than others, stuff that gets abused with shitty lobes more than others keep that in mind. Youd probably be better off with something even like a PRC 675 EHT kit, more room before bind, at least as much rate, you can set them up with more on the seat and they will be much lighter. $300 can make or break your $15000 engine/blower combo and burn up months of your time like youve seen. Not trying to give you a hard time at all, just dont want to see you post the same thing up now in a few months when springs still marginal, or later when they settle or something like that. Valvetrain control is #1 first priority
yes you did predict this scenario, and I thank you for your input. Had Valve float not been brought up I doubt I would have gone through all the hassle of pulling all the springs and checking them.

As for the current spring selection, I discussed these springs with my cam designer who thinks they should be fine. The K-800 should be right around 170# seat pressure and approx 460 at max lift. I have ordered a valve height micrometer, once I measure the install heights, I will then measure the actual spring values with my cam specs in mind and shim if necessary.

Thanks again for your input, its been alot of work, but I am sure it will pay off in the end.

Quick Reply: Procharged 403 wont pull past 5500 RPM....