Sponsored by:

3 bar tune question with 411 pcm

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Frost
You really are just a broken record.
Why, just because you know what each solution offers doesn't mean that everyone does, ie the OP.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:46 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by macca_779
Why, just because you know what each solution offers doesn't mean that everyone does, ie the OP.
I don't mean that, I mean constantly crying and whining about HPTuners.
Old 01-16-2011, 12:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't mean that, I mean constantly crying and whining about HPTuners.
Not doing any of that. It was posted EFI LIVE has a feature, I noted that HPT doesn't. Then it was put out there that you can do it with HPT by thinking outside the box. All I've done is illustrate that your thinking outside the box is a half baked solution that doesn't do the job as well or accurately as EFI's solution.

Come up with something where HPT does it better and I'll commend them for it. Only thing is it doesn't happy very often does it.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:45 AM
FormerVendor

Better or worse is an opinion when you can get the same result from either. HPtuner's allows you to vary fuel by kPa step in boost instead of timing. You can't do that with EFI Live without cheating on the VE, and HPTuner's gives you real time tuning on the stock PCM with their 3bar OS which is also a feature that EFI Live doesn't have. You don't mention that though because you just like to cry about HPTuner's in every thread that you find vs. just focusing on tuning and methods.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Frost the fuel/boost table simply dosent represent enough resolution when crossed over to the fuel/spark to hold the kind of control you get with a air based spark table. FFS its 0.05EQ increments, that's ridiculous.

I did a 3bar in realtime the other week with EFI LIVE. Could even tune the Auto in Realtime as well as every other table as it's not limited to a few like pretend RTT. EFI has Road Runner for true RTT. Sure you have to swap the PCM over, but the time taken to do that is pretty much offset by a near instant flash time.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Launching!

ok picked up a 411 ecm yesterday. I plan on going with efi live at this point. I should be able to use the v1 for this correct?
and where can i find the starter bins for both the tranmission segments and the custom OS bins for this? (the efilive repository correct?)
I have not bought the software yet, just making sure i can do what i want with the v1. or any real benefits with the v2 version for the money?

any one use tunercats for similar set ups with boosted tables? I am familiar with them on obd1 stuff.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can do what you need to do with the v1 but it is a superseded model so you won't be able to work on newer controllers if you choose down the track.
The custom os cals come with the software and cals for most cars can be found in the repository. Trans segments are in the same file as the engine
Old 01-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Launching!

thanks, looks like the next step is to get it on order then

is there any real advantage to running the front o2s with a boosted speed density system or would i just be better off sticking with a OL tune and a wideband?

thanks again.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FFS its 0.05EQ increments, that's ridiculous.
What does FFS stand for? I don't understand this part of your posts.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:01 PM
FormerVendor

Frost the fuel/boost table simply dosent represent enough resolution when crossed over to the fuel/spark to hold the kind of control you get with a air based spark table. FFS its 0.05EQ increments, that's ridiculous.
PCM's do this crazy thing called interpolation in between points... Since I start with leaner fueling and bring it in with the boost-rise, it's not an issue. The EFI Live OS has the timing modifier but lacks the ability to change AFR based on boost without some VE fudging. EFIL took the route of boost-based timing modifier and the HPT OS uses a boost-based fuel modifier. Both can do the same if you are competent behind the keyboard.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interpolation is one thing. But the eq steps are set. So if you want 4 different values of timing (with interpolation obviously) your fuel MUST move 0.20EQ. No way around that I'm afraid and .20 is ridiculously over the top when .80 Final is all you need.

Last edited by macca_779; 01-23-2011 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
What does FFS stand for? I don't understand this part of your posts.
This will help you now and in the future.

http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php
Old 01-23-2011, 10:33 AM
FormerVendor

Interpolation is one thing. But the eq steps are set. So if you want 4 different values of timing (with interpolation obviously) your fuel MUST move 0.20EQ. No way around that I'm afraid and .20 is ridiculously over the top when .80 Final is all you need.
You are wrong. The fuel doesn't have to move a whole step to the next column because of interpolation (which is basic). You just have your panties in a bunch because EFILive is involved and "likeOMG I knows itzz teh bestest". With a 5 degree change in EQ columns in the adder, each 0.01 change in commanded EQ will moving timing a degree, and that's 0.2AFR. With a 10 degree change in between columns, 0.005 EQ will yield a degree of change, and that is 0.1AFR.

I've fed the troll enough here.

Last edited by Frost; 01-23-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2011, 05:44 PM
7 Second Club

Received 302 Likes on 202 Posts

I've fed the troll enough here.
I was wondering how you kept going as long as you did, I gave up pretty quickly when he didn't get it the first time. LOL
Old 01-23-2011, 06:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not the point Frost. Your talking running linear progression. Since when is a timing curve linear? Interpolation is linear between cells. To alter the exponsional rate of change you must hit .05 increments of fuel. Sure you can get the job done to get a car running. But it's not as tuneable with the inherriant controls in mind

As for trolling. Pull your head in FFS. This is all factual and relevant info.

Quick Reply: 3 bar tune question with 411 pcm